Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...So I've purchased two Audioque SD2.5 12" subs and am now venturing into constructing a box for these bad boys...Audioque says it's 12" subs should have 2.5 cubic feet (which includes port displacements and sub displacement)...

ItalynStalion has suggested that I build two separate 2.5 cubic feet boxes so that I can get them through the trunk opening, but I want to have my subs as far away from the license plate end of the trunk as possible...so anyone have some space saving tips for me? And yes, I do realize I will still not have very much trunk space anyway...

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Yeah, this is going to be a LARGE build but I think it's possible. If he builds two boxes that are 2.5 cubes each it will work. He will have no trunk but it can be done.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
just gonna halve it done the middle? might have to build each individual enclosure in pieces just to get it to fit through the trunk opening. when does the building start?

·
Registered
275 Posts
look at my box, its 5.1 cubic ft total volume. its built into the car and
i still have trunk room, but i elected to use that space for my amps.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
Ok... holy crap.

I'm ditching my DD3512 cause it needs WAY too big and heavy of a box.... and it's only 2.0 cubic feet.

I'd use as much fiberglass as you possibly can, or use baltic birch instead of MDF... cause your box is gonna weigh a freaking ton.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
After trying to think of ideas on how to get 5 cubes in the trunk I suggested to him that he just run a single SD2.5 off 1000RMS in a ported box.

An SD2.5 should be fine off 1k if he sets his gains right. It should be plenty of output for him too.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
Well... my single 3512 with 1200watts has hit 147.4dB at 38Hz....

So that gives you an idea of what DD type woofers are capable of. The AQ SD2.5s are pretty much DD2500s...

So yeah... just one will be PLENTY for any basshead.

Me, personally, I'll be running a dual DD1508s quite soon. 350W to each driver. About 1.75 cu. ft. box (all fiberglass, in my spare tire well).

·
Registered
132 Posts
holy crap man....

If you're going ported, seriously you only need one sub. Audioques are beasts. I'm sure there's enough space for it in your trunk. You'll probably have to remove all the carpet pieces, utilize the space where a spare tire would be... use the two pockets behind the tire humps.

I wanna see this when it's done

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I'm selling them individually or together...I'll probably end up testing one out ported, and if I like it I'll keep it =)

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
Oh... you'll like it.

I'd put it in a DD spec box though... I like them better for AQ woofers...

Box Sizes for Hi-Efficiency

Just remember, the bigger you go... the louder you'll get. DD boxes can also be tuned to 30-35Hz for less spl oriented setups (although it will still be louder than sin).

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well, I just posted 'em up in the for sale thread...see if anyone makes an offer...
WTF? just install it. i've seen a ton of your threads asking for advice on different types of subs...enclosures...then you just hash the idea and start something new. just do something...you're never going to know if the advice given to you was worthless or not until you build the enclosure and test it out for yourself. :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts