Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on the test car (silver), the hood alignment was off!! (Standing from front of car, the left gap was larger than right gap...)

Any of you have similar problems with trunk, hood and doors????

·
Registered
108 Posts
I haven't found a problem in fit and finish. Things pretty much seem to be up to LEXUS standards - after 1100 miles at least.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dude: I remember a few weeks back, someone wrote a similar post regarding fit and finish. It was mentioned that there was a significant gap between the trunk and rear fenders.

After this was brought to my attention, I made it a point to check this out. Sure enough, two of the IS 300's at the Putnam Lexus intro party had a very noticeable gap on the right side of the trunk lid (looking from the rear).

The Lexus QC Inspector should've rejected these two cars promptly! Clearly, this was not representative of Lexus' "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection."

·
Registered
59 Posts
"oops.." probably woudn't be the right reply by the Lexus inspector...I will have to take a look at the car's that get delivered to our store...it would be a shame if those problems were on most of them..it would clearly indicate sub-par builds...I'll have to keep an eye open..I would feel kind of bad if they arent "typical Lexus" quality... Fit and finish is just one of the items, though very important.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ISBlain:

Thanks for watching out....Your reflections on opinions to Lexus HQ is very important.

I'm planning on getting one in a few months (if everything goes as planned) Hopefully I won't be one of the 'pest' customers--I can get quite particular about things, especially little ones....(gaps for example)

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's probably who posted the quality problem on IS300.

This gap problem may not be as serious as the following new discovery.

Does anyone notice that the plastic trim the bottom of the front doors (ie. right above the steel scuff plates) are misaligned ? The reason is because the plastic trim is too shallow compared to other Lexus models and so it doesn't hold in line at the tip.

That's the plastic trim running along the lining of the front doors.

I have seen this problem with 7 IS300 so far. Some are in red, spectra blue and yellow And it happens to 3 dealers that I came across.

AndyL

·
Registered
594 Posts
Man.

I was hoping this wouldnt happen. Months back, I was in love with the CL-S until the fit n' finish comlaints start flooding in on h-a.net. I was hoping the IS300 wouldnt have these. I'm also very particular about cars, especially the quality of the build. I know theres no perfect car, but I'd like to get as close to that as I can. Oh well, lets just hope nothing else major turns up...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Okay, so can someone put together a list of things I should be on the look out for when I got to pick my car up from the dealership?

·
Registered
994 Posts
On one IS, I saw the panel under the steering wheel--the part that would be over your calves when you're driving--not being aligned very well. The gap alongside the panel was bigger at the top than at the bottom. That was the only thing I've noticed so far.

--k

·
Registered
424 Posts
So far, I have made the following observations :

1. The plastic trim on the bottom of the opening of the front doors (not the scuff plates) may not be properly aligned. It's quite obvious. I have seen 7 IS300 with this symptoms. It appears that the one with the wood trim package appears to be worse.

2. The insulation rubber lining on the right hand side of the hood(standing in front of the car) -- a short piece near the windshield may be a bit distorted compared to the left hand side.

3. The gap on the trunk and the hood may not be of equal space when compared left and right.

This is not a bad quality car. Overall, it's of high quality. It's just the craftmanship which is not as good as it should probably because of the time to market criteria.

I have encountered a similar situation with my 98' ES300. The "defects" in IS300 are much less.

AndyL

·
Registered
424 Posts
dude,

I would say it is both. If you compare this particular plastic trim in IS300 with GS or ES, for instance, you will understand why it is so susceptible to misalignment.

It can be considered as a design flaw in the sense that the plastic trim is too shallow to stay in place.

I guess some glue may fix it.

So far, I've only seen one car (it's a Spectra blue with black interior, btw) which has the slightness to none misalighment in this area.

AndyL

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
what plastic piece? the one under the scuff plates? the plastic piece above the scuff plate? misaligned how? is it not tightly attached or off center? i can't telll if theres anything off on my IS...not even that plastic part under the steering wheel (above your calves) everything seems fine to me but maybe im missing something, please clarify. thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
Look at the "Driver's side" picture on page 4 of the gallery. The plastic piece I have been talking about is the one with some dirty marksof the shoes in the picture. Note that this piece is running along the opening of the door and it terminates in another smaller curvy plastic piece which finally terminates on the edge of the console.

Check both the front doors.

If you can't find anything, then you are lucky.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
well what do you know? the damn things arent perfectly fit, oh well, no biggie, i wouldnt have noticed anyways but i wouldve later on if the things came loose...
maybe Lexus is watching and that 1000 mile/ 1 month check up could also be a chance for them to fix little discreptancies such as these misaligned plastic thingies...nothing serious, no rattles or electric malfunctions, something like this isn't too bad

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tell them to fix it now! You paid >$30,000...I think at the very least you deserve a car that fits together properly!

Originally posted by DonCorleone:
well what do you know? the damn things arent perfectly fit, oh well, no biggie, i wouldnt have noticed anyways but i wouldve later on if the things came loose...
maybe Lexus is watching and that 1000 mile/ 1 month check up could also be a chance for them to fix little discreptancies such as these misaligned plastic thingies...nothing serious, no rattles or electric malfunctions, something like this isn't too bad

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
ill make sure to tell them at my one month check up, but it isnt too big a deal like i said, i wouldnt have even noticed unless it came off or something.. its not even a centimeter off so im not gonna stress over it.
my parents paid 30k for a brand new 4runner last year and you wouldnt believe what the dealer had done to it, oh the humanity

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes, performance and other factors in IS300 outweigh this kind of minor imperfection. However, I am so surprised that even a Corolla or Camry which are below US$30K would NEVER have this kind of problem. Ditto for ES300 which is in a similar price range. (ES300 have other even minor problems though)

The more complex a car is, the more problem it will lead.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I went to my dealer today and noticed that they have another 3 different IS300 in the showroom. No wonder how fast this car is sold.

About the plastic trim near the door, the 3 cars seem not to have this problem. At least the misalignment is minimum and it's almost unnoticeable.

However, the rubber lining in the hood that I mentioned still exist (right hand side, the rubber is twisted)

AndyL

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
That's strange...Lexus has exceptional build quality. They've beaten MB and BMW in quality surveys...my IS300 came perfect. I'm quite particular myself, but after reading this posting I scrutinized my car. Glad to report: I didn't find a single problem. So far, the car is a pleasure to drive. The only things I miss will be available next year: manual tran, Nav, dimming mirrors, and armrest.
I have no complaints.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts