Lexus IS Forum banner

221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Interesting!
350phi you listed rear brake setup as well for the MK1 IS300 in your website, would the emergency brake still work/fit? is there a need to enhance/enlarge the brake cylinder?
there is no 1IS stuff on his website as of right now, assuming he hasnt updated it yet. i dont think he is doing a rear kit. no real reason. the rears are already 2 pot.

the e-brake is all on the rear of this car. nothing to do with the front.

the master cylinder has been covered in this thread for IS350 calipers (i believe more than once). stock one is fine.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The larger piston is great for the added clamping force, but that's also more displacement that the master has to compensate for. I'm a bit worried about pedal travel with the stock 1" master cylinder.

I checked RockAuto to see what the factory IS350 brake master cylinder bore size and it looks like 7/8"? I believe the IS350's have single piston rear calipers, but that still seems too small.

Question for some of you who have done the 4 piston front caliper swap (Supra, LS400, IS350, etc) How is the pedal travel?
pedal travel with the Supras is short and firm. using gloc r10's front and back. I can lock up with less than half travel if I'm not careful, but I'm only using 215's 235-255's before the next event

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
there is no 1IS stuff on his website as of right now, assuming he hasnt updated it yet. i dont think he is doing a rear kit. no real reason. the rears are already 2 pot.

the master cylinder has been covered in this thread for IS350 calipers (i believe more than once). stock one is fine.

I tried to find the thread regarding folks with experience with stock MC and IS350 calipers to gain a comfort level that pedal doesn't get too close to floor and that heel toe down shifting would still be possible. The difference in the caliper piston diameters would result in almost a 40% difference in the caliper piston area to mc piston area, that seams like a lot.

Is the IS350 caliper thread you referred to stickied?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I tried to find the thread regarding folks with experience with stock MC and IS350 calipers to gain a comfort level that pedal doesn't get too close to floor and that heel toe down shifting would still be possible. The difference in the caliper piston diameters would result in almost a 40% difference in the caliper piston area to mc piston area, that seams like a lot.

Is the IS350 caliper thread you referred to stickied?
Search this thread for 'master' and you'll see multiple posts about it. I was thinking the same thing, but apparently it's ok.

On a sidenote, I have evo/sti brembos all around on my s14 with a 1" BMC and the pedal feels fine. With the stock 7/8" BMC it didn't feel right at all. The pedal was pretty far down to the floor before the brakes were engaged.

·
Registered
83 Posts

My bad! I thought "various Lexus models" included 1st gent IS which is not.
hence I asked for BC upgrade and e-brake once we change the rears as well!!

for other members asking about pedal travel, I didn't feel any difference, it's the thickness of pads/disc that affects pedal travel, I have the 350 ADVICS front brakes
original BC is doing fine

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
very interesting... I could go advics 4pot (11.6 lbs) with gs350 rb 2 piece rotor (11.6 lbs) and have it weigh 23.6 lbs + bracket (unknown weight) for $$$$

or just go Supra rb 2 piece rotor (15.9 lbs) along with my Supra calipers (18 lbs) and weigh 33.9 lbs for $$

or keep it as is with the supra caliper (18 lbs) and rotor (19 lbs) and save $ but weigh 37lbs.

looks like I'll be saving my money for a new platform that's overall lighter (next gen 86s likely) awesome idea tho, they'll look great! OEM ftw!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Weight:
Bracket with bolts: around 16oz or less.
IS350 front caliper: 11.4lb
IS350 OEM front rotor: 23.5lb
2013+ GS350 F-sport 2pc OEM front rotor: 21lb
GSF/RCF front caliper: 10.1lb
GSF/RCF OEM front rotor: 32.5lb (yikes!)
ISF front caliper: TBD

I also think this setup will work for 2GS and SC430. I will confirm this myself.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Weight:

Bracket with bolts: around 16oz or less.

IS350 front caliper: 11.4lb

IS350 OEM front rotor: 23.5lb

2013+ GS350 F-sport 2pc OEM front rotor: 21lb

GSF/RCF front caliper: 10.1lb

GSF/RCF OEM front rotor: 32.5lb (yikes!)

ISF front caliper: TBD

I also think this setup will work for 2GS and SC430. I will confirm this myself.
Any updates?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just received my adapter kit from Phi and I am very pleased. I am waiting for my calipers and rotors to arrive next week, and then she'll be in the shop for installation.

I have to say, the quality of the parts that I received is top notch. The materials and finish quality is excellent, and I will have more info in the next week or 2, but I am very confident that the final, assembled product will be of very high quality.

IS300 - IS350 BBK https://imgur.com/gallery/6KRkBtn

If anyone would like any other pictures of what they're receiving, let me know and I'll get them posted.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just received my adapter kit from Phi and I am very pleased. I am waiting for my calipers and rotors to arrive next week, and then she'll be in the shop for installation.

I have to say, the quality of the parts that I received is top notch. The materials and finish quality is excellent, and I will have more info in the next week or 2, but I am very confident that the final, assembled product will be of very high quality.

IS300 - IS350 BBK
If anyone would like any other pictures of what they're receiving, let me know and I'll get them posted.
Your link doesn't seem to be working any longer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
link works for me... why are there spacers again?

the spacers/shim are there to center the brake rotor to the caliper. It goes between the hub and the rotor. It makes the pad wear evenly on both sides of the rotor. If you go back in this thread, you will how other people had this issue with the previous adapter created by another user.

·
Registered
46 Posts
  1. I have only owned mine for about a month but did an "upgrade" the first weekend I got it. I only paid $200 for EBC pads and rotors. Quiet a easy job if you ask me. Gonna do some braided cables this week but I'll keep this in mind once these wear down. Thanks for the info it took me about an hour and a half to do front and back brakes.
  2. 20191028_122325.jpg
    20191017_162815.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Pretty crazy to find this thread I started after so many years. I ended up selling my first IS300 in early 2017 and so never finished the brake project, but another friend of mine did buy and install them (posted in this thread) and still has the setup on his car. I recently bought a new IS300 and will likely be going down this path again, and it's pretty darn cool that there are more options and more research done on the matter than when I originally tried. I appreciate it, and am happy that so many of you have these 'budget' big brake kits on your IS300s now.

221 - 238 of 238 Posts