Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 with Just under 10k miles on it. I noticed a slight bubble on the sidewall of right front tire about the size of a nickle. It's bareley noticeable. Does anyone know what might cause this? I am aware of the tire recall on the older single ply Potenzas, but I don't fall in this catagory. I 'll probably stop by my dealer next week to see if the the tire is defective.

·
Registered
360 Posts
LEX5SPDIS300 said:
I have a 2002 with Just under 10k miles on it. I noticed a slight bubble on the sidewall of right front tire about the size of a nickle. It's bareley noticeable. Does anyone know what might cause this? I am aware of the tire recall on the older single ply Potenzas, but I don't fall in this catagory. I 'll probably stop by my dealer next week to see if the the tire is defective.
Make sure you change that tire ASAP, it's not safe to drive on. The bubble means that there is a tear in the inner wall and that tire can blow at any time. As far as I know, all 2002's had the double ply Potenzas, so you may need to suck it up and buy a new tire.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Broomhead said:
LEX5SPDIS300 said:
Make sure you change that tire ASAP, it's not safe to drive on. The bubble means that there is a tear in the inner wall and that tire can blow at any time. As far as I know, all 2002's had the double ply Potenzas, so you may need to suck it up and buy a new tire.
Yup happend to me as well on my Dunlop SP 9000, It was classified as sidewall damage, I drove on it for a week...good thing nothing happend, replaced it with the spare tire...so now I have a useless spare tire :cry: Oh well

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
it could have been caused if you hit a pothole or something hard in the road, not saying that's what it is but it's possible

i'm not sure if your dealer will replace it under warranty but it's worth a shot, depending on the dealer, i think some of them will replace it

but whatever you decide, just make sure to replace it as soon as you can

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been driving my car for a good while with an egg on the sidewall but I do not advise doing it. It is very dangerous and the dealership should change it for you since the car is so new.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to a coulple of Lexus dealers in my area and they both told me that they won't replace them & I have to contact a authorized Bridgestone tire shop. So, I did that & The tire shop said I probably hit a pothole which is a wear & tear issue & that my tire warrrenty won't cover it. What a waste, cuz that tire is hardly worn. Checked TheTire Rack for prices & a Potenza S03 is slightly cheaper than my stock Potenza RE040 tires. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts