Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
do it!

yes i have done it and i have drifted, donuts everywhere basically smashed the gas on the street, burnouts etc etc.. still holdin up strong. Also you get more punch at take off good when u mash the gas. With new headers you should get even more torque. feels good and like james said just find some spacers if u dont feel like pushin the bush! I just changed pumpkins kept old seals no leaks. pretty decent upgrade in traffic lights heheheh oh yeah and gear ratio is 4.1. If you have any questions hit me up!

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I get just the pumpkin, will it be any more difficult to install than if the axle flanges are already there?
I'm not sure if I am asking clearly, but in this picture the one on the left (BRZ) is just the pumpkin and the one on the right has the flanges I am talking about.
Does it matter?

Edit: I'm not seeing any BRZ diffs with the flanges. So we just slide in our existing axles?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Edit: I'm not seeing any BRZ diffs with the flanges. So we just slide in our existing axles?
yes you swap the axle stubs over from the IS diff. The brz doesnt use them and their axles go right in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Finally installing this next saturday. will update when its complete. I may swing by toyota and see how much their front bolts cost and buy them just to see if thats a solution to the bushings being smaller. Figure may as well have a couple options on hand and it'd be nice to know for anyone that does this in the future.

·
Registered
73 Posts
How do our cars calculate speed? Specifically an eshift model since thats what I have. Trying to determine if my speedo will be off an by how much

If your car is an automatic, the speed is determined by the ABS speed sensors at the wheels. But if it's a manual, then the speed is measured by the speed sensor on the transmission.

If you put on a different final gear ratio on an automatic it won't affect your speedo, but if you're going to put it on a manual then you need to do the ABS speedo fix on your car so your speedo won't be off.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If your car is an automatic, the speed is determined by the ABS speed sensors at the wheels. But if it's a manual, then the speed is measured by the speed sensor on the transmission.

If you put on a different final gear ratio on an automatic it won't affect your speedo, but if you're going to put it on a manual then you need to do the ABS speedo fix on your car so your speedo won't be off.
Awesome thanks! Im auto so should be good to go

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I just ordered a diff from a BRZ and some bolts from Lexus. Hopefully have this bad boy in next weekend too. 😬

·
Registered
20 Posts
Awesome!!

I can't wait to see how other people install theirs. In hindsight I wish i could have seen if the is300 diff bushings could go into the frs diff but winter is coming round I plan on replacing all my bushings in the front end anyways with poly urethane might do the diff too when i am under there @ land ark just the frs diff should come with no axel stubs you may need new seals depends where you get your diff from. the axel stubs from our diff spline right in i hammered mine in with a dead blow not recommened maybe you can take it a shop and have them press them in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
just the frs diff should come with no axel stubs you may need new seals depends where you get your diff from. the axel stubs from our diff spline right in i hammered mine in with a dead blow not recommened maybe you can take it a shop and have them press them in.
I guess I will find out. I ordered it on Monday and should be here by the end of the week. I may hold off on putting it in depending on some other folks results.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I guess I will find out. I ordered it on Monday and should be here by the end of the week. I may hold off on putting it in depending on some other folks results.

I've read of two successful installs so far. Mine is going in this weekend, so I'll post my results too. I expect it to install perfect with some washers on each front bushing mount. I ordered all new bolts and axle seals too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed my on my ownsome so yeah it definately works, but like i said main things if you don't want to push the bush are spacers or brz, frs bolts and changing out axel stubs other then that bolts right in (^_^). If you wanna be really clean make sure you get new axel stub bolts and change out seals if you need to. I have been smashing on mine and i love doing asshole things like burnouts and sliding down the highway. It makes the car more torquey as in like driving in overdrive gears, but you get used to that. I want to hear other peoples experiences. Its a cheap upgrade which makes the car more fun in my experience so fuck it up ~('.'~)(~'.')~! do it do it do it heheheh

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I installed my on my ownsome so yeah it definately works, but like i said main things if you don't want to push the bush are spacers or brz, frs bolts and changing out axel stubs other then that bolts right in (^_^). If you wanna be really clean make sure you get new axel stub bolts and change out seals if you need to. I have been smashing on mine and i love doing asshole things like burnouts and sliding down the highway. It makes the car more torquey as in like driving in overdrive gears, but you get used to that. I want to hear other peoples experiences. Its a cheap upgrade which makes the car more fun in my experience so fuck it up ~('.'~)(~'.')~! do it do it do it heheheh
Sweet, I'm doing the seals and all the bolts. I ordered our bolts but I think I'm going to try to order the FRS/BRZ bolts to see if those work. That way I can return the $11 washers I ordered from a shop :).

Edit - scratch that idea with the FRS bolts. Dealer can't get them for 5 days and they're triple the price of the Lexus ones. I'll stick with what I had planned!

·
Registered
230 Posts
i ordered the frs bolts but it doesnt look like they will get here in time. Dealership wouldnt let me pick them up and said they had to ship them. Kind of an annoyance. Either way im just going to install it with washers. will probably go back later and see if the frs bolts fit perfectly but that depends on weather. Im not replacing any of the other stuff, just putting it in.

how easy is it to remove the stubs from the IS diff? is there a special process i should know about?

I wish it was already Saturday

61 - 80 of 236 Posts