Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody knows about the dreaded brokerage fees we get charged when we receive a package from the US from UPS, Fedex, etc. I just learned something recently... we get charged... even when we ship a package to the US! How does that work???

Somebody in the states ships a package to us... we get charged brokerage. We ship a package to the states... we STILL get charged the brokerage??? Looks like UPS is the better option in these two cases. When shipping ground thru FedEx... FedEx will charge you as the shipper brokerage fees regardless of the value of the package. With UPS ground... brokerage fees will still be charged... but you can choose who pays for them. Brokerage fees will be charged by UPS when the package you send has a value of $200 or over. For both companies the brokerage fees are still a percentage of the value.

So it looks like for once UPS is the better option!

For both companies brokerage is "free" if you ship via air... but air is way more expensive. For example shipping fees alone from FedEx for the box I wanted to send to the US was $50 for ground... $236 for air!

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
wtf? That is messed!

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
i guess either way Canadians lose

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I wouldn't put it in those terms. Does American's pay brokerage fee when shipping to Canada via UPS? If they do, then it's fair game.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i wonder if similar to receiving air shipments if you could pick up the customs paperwork somewhere to avoid the fee?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I recently recieved a rim/tire from California via USPS. The declared value was $300 and all Canada Post charged me was PST and GST.

Previous to that I shipped a rim to Washington State. I got my shipping quote and sent it with Canada Post. I didn't notice if there was brokerage b/c whatever the final price was I charged to the reciever in advance. When the rim did make it to Washington I specifically asked the reciever if they paid anything else additional to what he paid me and he said no. The declared value was $180.

Both times the items were shipped as Used Auto Parts.

Right now I have a tire coming to me from Arizona via UPS. I'll report back when I get it.

·
Maverick
1,511 Posts
Everybody knows about the dreaded brokerage fees we get charged when we receive a package from the US from UPS, Fedex, etc. I just learned something recently... we get charged... even when we ship a package to the US! How does that work???

Somebody in the states ships a package to us... we get charged brokerage. We ship a package to the states... we STILL get charged the brokerage??? Looks like UPS is the better option in these two cases. When shipping ground thru FedEx... FedEx will charge you as the shipper brokerage fees regardless of the value of the package. With UPS ground... brokerage fees will still be charged... but you can choose who pays for them. Brokerage fees will be charged by UPS when the package you send has a value of $200 or over. For both companies the brokerage fees are still a percentage of the value.

So it looks like for once UPS is the better option!

For both companies brokerage is "free" if you ship via air... but air is way more expensive. For example shipping fees alone from FedEx for the box I wanted to send to the US was $50 for ground... $236 for air!
That makes no sense. My company ships stuff EVERYDAY and we never have any brokerage fees. There must be some mistake or mixup..

M

·
Registered
509 Posts
That makes no sense. My company ships stuff EVERYDAY and we never have any brokerage fees. There must be some mistake or mixup..

M
I second that, I've shipped a few things to the states and haven't been charged for duty and/or brokerage.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Guys... I wanna make this clear... I'm talking about COURIER companies... not CanadaPost. I spoke to three different people about this.

Feel free to call them yourself and see what they say. Call up FedEx and see what they say in regards to if there are brokerage fees for packages sent via Ground (ie. not by air)

If you they tell you something different... then let me know.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

M
Do you send stuff with FedEx? If so... do you use the ground method?

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
if its out of their transfer area, canadapost lays it off to another courier like ups. so.... yeah.. you do the math.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:confused:

????

Okay... now I'm confused. All up until yesterday... 2 people at FedEx customer service... and FedEx's shipping center (in person) told me I have to pay brokerage fees. Now I call again right now... and they"don't think I have to pay". Could somebody else please help clarify this?

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
yeah, call them AGAIN, ask for their NAME, department, etc. then you'll fucking ship it and find out.

if you get charged, u call them and bitch.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well anyways... the one thing for sure in this thread is... if you declare a value of less than US$200 for the package you are sending to the US... NOBODY has to pay brokerage when sending a package to the States thru UPS Ground.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Brokerage should only be charged on incoming items from the U.S. or any other country. There should be no such fee for outgoing items. I personally have never encountered that.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like I was given the wrong info! :blush:

But how is it possible for so many FedEx people in a row to give the wrong answer? Even when I spoke to people who later said the receiver would be charger for brokerage... even they didn't sound certain.

But anyways... for shipping stuff to the US... the following apparently applies...

UPS will charge brokerage for packages delivered via ground for items valued at US$200 or more. Otherwise there is no brokerage... packages sent by air have the brokerage fees waved as well.

FedEx will charge brokerage regardless of the value for items sent via ground. FedEx via air also has brokerage fees waved.

The latest set of info says both companies will allow you to choose who pays for brokerage (shipper or receiver).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts