Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, obviously theres something wrong with my headlight. I have a 2001 IS. The drivers side light will come on, get bright-ish, and then shut off. It never gets as bright as the other light, and i can't figure out why.

I just got new bulbs, so it's not that, and i guess its not the ballast because thats less than $150, so i took it to lexus and they told me its the 'computer in the headlight' and it's going to be $1400 to replace. I can't find anything on here about that, or online.

So, can anyone tell me what the hell i'm paying $1400 for, or how i can fix this for less than that? Can i just buy a whole new headlight and that will fix it? I've been working with this light since november and just can't get it fixed. Sorry if this isn't enough info, i don't have much else. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Headllight

Hey Bro, I personally have had the same problem and I changed the Ballast and it now works great with no issues. I personally have never heard of there being a computer in the headlight. If there is it's news to me. You may have gotten water in the ballast which has caused this problem. Changing it should fix the problem. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
yep. check all the wires are connected good first. Then I would use the working passenger side ballest and connect to the driver side and see if that fix the problem. If it does, time to change a ballest. No computer inside the headlight.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Indeed. The "computer in the headlight" IS the ballast. (technically under the headlight, but still inside).

Agreed, I'd swap side to side and see what happens. 50:1 it works with the opposite side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts