Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and first off thanks for any help in advance.

Here is my issue, Not to long ago while driving (and btw the way i have a short ram intake) down the highway the sound of intake got noticeably louder. and then while going from a dead stop and accelerating (its a 5speed as well) it was laggin quite a bit in power all through the gears, once it got in the upper RPMs it would pick up more power, and of course the intake was a lot louder than normal, sounding as if the actual filter had fell off, but then yesterday ito got even louder, then after again going from a dead stop it start to stutter in power and could not go past around 2000 rpms even with flooring it. at idle it sits around 50-100rpm then dies, if you try to rev it in neutral it is insanely loud and sounds like its having difficulty sucking in air....any thoughts as to what it could be? ive been told possibly the MAF is out....and btw my car is a 2001, and my commuter vehicle with almost 150k miles on it....i barely made it home and may have messed up my car even worse but i had no other option than drive it, it had a hard time going past 20 mphs, and like i said flooring just gets it to 2000rpms, and then starts jerking.....any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Have you actually opened the hood and looked at any thing? It sounds like your intake fell off the throttle body. Hence being REALLY loud and the MAF not reading your air flow.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
your car is in "safe mode"... the MAF needs to be reset by the dealer

what type of intake do you have? that could be whats throwing the CEL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i checked under the hood, the intake was attached, is the dealer the only one who can get it out of safe mode? i have a code reader which i am going to hook it up to.
and my mistake its a 2002.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a 2001 is300 (auto) and it was doing the same thing, bogging from 4000 to about 5500, replaced the mass air sensor and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok so tonight i took off the intake and sprayed the maf with canned air to see if maybe it was dirty, turned the car on and same thing, low low idle, and it seems like when i rev it, its not a hollow sucking sound, with a little winding sound at the end.

how can i get the car out of safe mode?

SRT intake btw

·
Registered
609 Posts
Canned air isn't going to work. Get some no-residue electronics cleaner and try it again. Be sure to spray the little sensors inside, not just the one that's plainly visible. Check all your vaccum lines.

You could also have a clogged cat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts