Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, found out my rear Hotchkis sway broke, and will be replacing with an Eibach 3 position adjustable. Seems like a good choice. My Hotchkis were $300 about 15 years ago, and theyve gone up a bit. Figure save a hunk, and buy one that is sold individually and is still adjustable. Anyone know the percent increases of stiffness on the rear holes. I had mine Hotchkis on soft (144%). The springs are OEM as are the struts. Will be going to Bilsteins within 6mo, but will readjust then.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Based off this speed academy web page, under the assumption that all Eibach bars are made relatively equal, while being quite the assumption, this is the only thing I could find on the Internet in regards to pinpointing a discrete "percentage increase of stiffness"

"So even though the Eibach bar is 1.8mm larger in diameter, which would lead some to believe it’s close to 40% stiffer than stock (if you use the same math as the above G35 example), because it (presumably) has a different wall thickness and perhaps a different material choice (the Eibach bar is made from 4043, or at least its part# suggests as much) than the OE bar, it’s actually just 19% stiffer in Position 1 and 31% stiffer in Position 2."

= A difference of 12%/hole

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bummer, not near as much as Hotchkis
Ya, I'd say you don't need to know what the percentage deltas are in order to determine if they will be more stiff than a competitor, just look at their thickness.

Just found Hotchkis rear sway bars for just a bit more the Eibachs!
Slightly surprised you're still going with them despite breaking, do you track the IS and need that extra bit of stiffness for cornering? Or is it just a DD preference

Plus considering they break every few years, I wouldn't say they're a "bit more" expensive than the Eibachs considering your replacement frequency, and being cheaper to begin with

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Slightly surprised you're still going with them despite breaking, do you track the IS and need that extra bit of stiffness for cornering? Or is it just a DD preference

Plus considering they break every few years, I wouldn't say they're a "bit more" expensive than the Eibachs considering your replacement frequency, and being cheaper to begin with
I drive it very aggressive and hard. Well, I dont consider 15 years, every few years (wont have it for 15 more years anyways). Plus 144% and 227% seems a bit more stiff than the Eibach. For $25 more its worth it to me.

Talked to Eibach today, and they dont even have specs on their bar. The only thing they could provide is that the hole closest to the end of the bar, is similar to the OEM bar.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I drive it very aggressive and hard. Well, I dont consider 15 years, every few years (wont have it for 15 more years anyways). Plus 144% and 227% seems a bit more stiff than the Eibach. For $25 more its worth it to me.

Talked to Eibach today, and they dont even have specs on their bar. The only thing they could provide is that the hole closest to the end of the bar, is similar to the OEM bar.
Well, it's probably a justified decision if you don't plan to keep the car for too much longer. I just happen to read a review on them and it busted at only 5 years, so there's a chance you aren't driving it hard enough lol.

However, if you're looking for a very stiff chassis, have you done the remainder of chassis connection bolt-ons? I have the Megan h-brace, paired with the Megan rear stability bar, paired with the eibach sway bars, paired with a 933 motorsports solid welded rear strut bar, and it's all I could ever ask for in terms of a well handling chassis.

I recently drove the car just about as hard as I ever have this past weekend, enough to put me in jail for a few years, and I can't imagine the extra stiffness being beneficial

You want the car to be compliant and balanced. So hopefully the sways are all you have on

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My mechanic does take care of my car very well. If some needs to be done, he does it. So if they need lube, I have no doubt he does it.

Strut bars, etc are coming next, with new struts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just asking cause I know lack of lubricant was a major reason for them snapping. 15 years of service kinda validates your statement. I’m on year 9 on mine, I do take them down each year to grease them though.

Kinda weird that Eibach doesn’t now their own specs since suspension is their specialty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would not assume this. The sway bar shouldn't just snap, even if it's hollow. I would be doubting your mechanic about now. Might want to ask.....
Especially since this is not a “normal” thing to grease. Also as someone asked about how low you are, if you’re too low and bar mount or link length is not adjusted then the bar binds.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Especially since this is not a “normal” thing to grease. Also as someone asked about how low you are, if you’re too low and bar mount or link length is not adjusted then the bar binds.
You know, I should check the grease on my sways and see if it's been holding up. It's been a few years, so maybe it would be good to grease every 5 or so, surely it can't last forever

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would not assume this. The sway bar shouldn't just snap, even if it's hollow. I would be doubting your mechanic about now. Might want to ask.....
Well, I would assume this. Taken care of me for over 10 years. No screw ups, no issues, does many favors for me for performance items. Has a great rep, customers are very loyal to him, and he is very good and trustworthy. It is not unheard of for Hotchkis to snap. He checks everything. You might doubt your mechanic in this situation, I wont doubt mine. Its Luxury Motor Works, which used to be Lexus Motor Sports. Used to do intakes, BBKs, turbos, SCs, electronics, tuning, etc. No need to ask nothing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well, I would assume this. Taken care of me for over 10 years. No screw ups, no issues, does many favors for me for performance items. Has a great rep, customers are very loyal to him, and he is very good and trustworthy. It is not unheard of for Hotchkis to snap. He checks everything. You might doubt your mechanic in this situation, I wont doubt mine. Its Luxury Motor Works, which used to be Lexus Motor Sports. Used to do intakes, BBKs, turbos, SCs, electronics, tuning, etc. No need to ask nothing.
+1 for the prolonged care of your car, keep it up

·
Mr. Roo
9,684 Posts
Still a good idea to ask him about the sway bar bushings and greasing and his experience with Hotchkis bars snapping. Sounds like he should have some good advice/ideas/experience

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still a good idea to ask him about the sway bar bushings and greasing and his experience with Hotchkis bars snapping. Sounds like he should have some good advice/ideas/experience
He said it wasnt real common, but then theres how I drive.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts