Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving my 05 is300 across interior Mexico, open road and at 50+mph, when the check engine and trac light both came on at same time. 40 miles later the car sputtered, 80 miles after that the car sputtered again and died.
Roadside fixes failed, then towed to nearest town with a Toyota dealership. Important to note Mexico has no Lexus dealerships and very few Lexus cars or parts available so closest thing is Toyota. I have been here over a week!
This is what we know:
-cranks, won’t run.
-fuel pump delivers fresh fuel to rail.
-no spark at plugs.
-diagnostic reader will not communicate with car (cannot read error codes).
-I have two keys, neither key makes a difference.
-instrument panel cluster lights when is key on.
-with key forward (on) Check Engine light is off, Security light on and blinking.
-car will not run on ether.
The Toyota tech cannot offer any solutions and has given up. I have read several threads here and tried all of the suggestions. I have some shade tree auto skills but am weak in electronics with newer cars. Cell phone coverage is spotty here and internet access is very limited.
Really need to read the error codes. Is there a method to display error codes on my instrument panel? Any other hacks?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks for looking.

UPDATE March 23, 2020:
Apologies for the delay in response, it has been an eventful week with some travel involved and just now getting settled back at home.
Long story is that I had to remove the car from the Toyota dealership. A series of events and wonderful people coming into my life (friends, I could write a novel based on this experience) unfortunately did not result in fixing of the car. The problem apparently requires the use of more sophisticated diagnostic tools than we have available here. After the second week of being stranded, staying in questionable hotels (with a disco next door), using taxis, eating fast food, dog getting sick twice, a global pandemic, bills mounting, accounts draining...I threw in the towel! Left the is300 at a shop with a good auto tech reputation (see photo) and hitched a ride 3 hrs home. The shop said they would call if they discovered anything. Now I am driving my 78 Yamaha 65cc “chappy” motorcycle with my dog on the tank.
I’m old enough to remember the Stones first album release, been around the world a few times surfing, sailed from Boston to Madrid, lived in the USSR for a couple of years, met a ton of great people, and although I could not fix my car, this by far was the most challenging yet rewarding experience I’ve ever faced. At times I lost all hope in more than just the car. And when I was at my lowest the most odd and inspiring collection of people would enter into my life giving me hope and renewed strength. I will always remember breaking down in Uruapan Mexico and the special people there.
Thank you to all who pitched in, I learned a lot. I will update this thread when/if the car gets fixed.
Until then, mucho gracias, vaya con dios, amigos ?✊️?
1585009242740.jpeg

·
Registered
165 Posts
First we need to know why the OBDII reader not communicating with the car. When you turn the key, does the check engine light illuminate?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First we need to know why the OBDII reader not communicating with the car. When you turn the key, does the check engine light illuminate?
Thanks for the question. No, the check engine light will not illuminate when the key is on.
Also, we have disconnected the battery for 10+ minutes. Tech says the fuse to OBDII cable is good.

·
3,361 Posts
Driving my 05 is300 across interior Mexico, open road and at 50+mph, when the check engine and trac light both came on at same time. 40 miles later the car sputtered, 80 miles after that the car sputtered again and died.
Roadside fixes failed, then towed to nearest town with a Toyota dealership. Important to note Mexico has no Lexus dealerships and very few Lexus cars or parts available so closest thing is Toyota. I have been here over a week!
This is what we know:
-cranks, won’t run.
-fuel pump delivers fresh fuel to rail.
-no spark at plugs.
-diagnostic reader will not communicate with car (cannot read error codes).
-I have two keys, neither key makes a difference.
-instrument panel cluster lights when is key on.
-with key forward (on) Check Engine light is off, Security light on and blinking.
-car will not run on ether.
The Toyota tech cannot offer any solutions and has given up. I have read several threads here and tried all of the suggestions. I have some shade tree auto skills but am weak in electronics with newer cars. Cell phone coverage is spotty here and internet access is very limited.
Really need to read the error codes. Is there a method to display error codes on my instrument panel? Any other hacks?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks for looking.
Communication issue is a blown fuse usually.
Do you have a fresh battery in the car now? Do not take for granted the battery you have is still good.
Then look at the connector for the ignitor.
After that it gets more complicated.

·
Registered
987 Posts
No spark on all cylinders? Could be ignitor like Solar said, but if the security light is on when cranking then i would imagine the immobilizer could be playing up, ive got no idea how to bypass that but im sure there must be someone in Mexico who does :p

If its only one or 2 cylinders and the security light is off then it could be coil packs.

Does Techstream communicate with the ECU at all?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a fresh battery in the car now? Do not take for granted the battery you have is still good.
Great advise, battery “looks” good but hasn’t been tested. We’re on it and will update results.
I also drive a Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummings and I can check error codes via a key movement procedure, codes will display on instrument panel in the trip miles box. Is there a way to see error codes in a similar way on this Lexus?
Many thanks!

·
3,361 Posts
Great advise, battery “looks” good but hasn’t been tested. We’re on it and will update results.
I also drive a Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummings and I can check error codes via a key movement procedure, codes will display on instrument panel in the trip miles box. Is there a way to see error codes in a similar way on this Lexus?
Many thanks!
No self read mode. Need a basic reader. It more than likely is a fuse. Usually the same one on the cig lighter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great advise, we will replace battery and check the ignitor first thing Tuesday when dealership is open.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Is there a way to see error codes in a similar way on this Lexus?
Many thanks!
There is a method to jump 2 of the pins on the OBD connector with something like a paperclip or wire and the engine check light will flash a numerical sequence for the basic codes. I forget which pins, but if you search around you will find them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No spark on all cylinders? Could be ignitor like Solar said, but if the security light is on when cranking then i would imagine the immobilizer could be playing up, ive got no idea how to bypass that but im sure there must be someone in Mexico who does :p

If its only one or 2 cylinders and the security light is off then it could be coil packs.

Does Techstream communicate with the ECU at all?
Replying to reply,
Spark on all cylinders: we only confirmed no spark at one, we will check the coil packs. We have not been able to confirm the car is not immobilized yet. But we have tried to make sure the car is buttoned up and still no start. Immobizer may be a problem but tech said we had fresh fuel at the rail. If I am correct, fuel will not deliver if car is immobilized. Reading codes would help.
We do not have Techstream available that I know of. Maybe the tech was using Techstream but I can not confirm.
I will try these solutions tomorrow. Dealership was closed today due to holiday.
Thank you so much for your suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An IS300 first gen does not have a sensor on the power steering.
Could be a power steering sensor. Random, I know but I had basically the same diagnostics and that’s what fixed it.
Solar and Kev, thanks for the look.
Kev, we thought you nailed it because the power steering DID act up the day before this trip.
Then Solar commented that Gen 1’s don’t have sensors.
We’ll investigate both tomorrow (holiday today) and update.
Many thanks to both of of you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks P
There is a method to jump 2 of the pins on the OBD connector with something like a paperclip or wire and the engine check light will flash a numerical sequence for the basic codes. I forget which pins, but if you search around you will find them.
Pnu100, we found a you tube vid that showed how to jumper the connector. We had two problems, first was the process was done on a different car, maybe a Camry but not a Lexus and not a is300, and the closeup was too blurry to see the target pins for the paper clip jumper. Also, they didn’t mention anything about a flashing light sequence to read.
Can you recommend a vid that explains the flashing sequence?
Many thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thanks P

Pnu100, we found a you tube vid that showed how to jumper the connector. We had two problems, first was the process was done on a different car, maybe a Camry but not a Lexus and not a is300, and the closeup was too blurry to see the target pins for the paper clip jumper. Also, they didn’t mention anything about a flashing light sequence to read.
Can you recommend a vid that explains the flashing sequence?
Many thanks
This is what we do in the Altezza World, i assume it will work for IS300 as well, just need a paper clip. It only gives you basic codes (0-99) but it can be enough to start tracing what might be at fault, if it is showing one. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
First, can you communicate with other ECUs apart from the ECM? Toyota dealers use the same scanners as Lexus. Well they should... I was a Lexus tech. This car is before CAN so it uses SIL communication. What reading do you have at pin 7 at obd2? Ground at pins 4-5. Battery power at 16. Tac signal at 9 when cranking. If course check fuses for etcs, efi, and ign first.
Second, have you verified no spark on all cylinders?
CEL should always light up with key on I’m sure you know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First, can you communicate with other ECUs apart from the ECM? Toyota dealers use the same scanners as Lexus. Well they should... I was a Lexus tech. This car is before CAN so it uses SIL communication. What reading do you have at pin 7 at obd2? Ground at pins 4-5. Battery power at 16. Tac signal at 9 when cranking. If course check fuses for etcs, efi, and ign first.
Second, have you verified no spark on all cylinders?
CEL should always light up with key on I’m sure you know.
Thank you, please see my post edit for the update.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Woah, crazy cause my parents are from Michoacán and I been to Uruapan, Morelia and other towns. You really were down in Mexico. Hoping to hear a resolution to this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts