Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I know the WRX is a new bargain priced competitor to the IS300, but I can't help but notice how much WRX info you are posting over here at IS300.net Mr.Italian Stallion.

It sounds like you are already sold on the idea of the WRX, so maybe you should find a WRX forum to visit instead of IS300.net?

Not that I want to discourage anyone from discussing competing cars here, but you don't seem to be considering the IS300 anymore, rather just blasting us with info on the WRX.

Oh well, what the hell - post away.

Just try to let us know about your thought process and not just the links OK?

Are you still considering the IS300???

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
yeah, you're about to get "moderated"!

btw eventhough I like the WRX, is it really a competitor of the IS? I mean the IS300 is performance luxury while the WRX is just performance. Just my loose change.

------------------
MAD

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here is why I think they are at least somewhat comparable

1) They are both about the same size
2) The both have sporting intentions
3) By MY02, they will both have available manual transmissions

Here are what I see as the differences:
1) Cost
2) Luxury/Ammenities/Refinement
3) Lexus customer care
4) Snob appeal (for better or worse)

For me, they are both logical choices. I currently own a Lexus (ES300) and it has been a great car. That alone pulls me towards the IS300. The WRX appeals to me in that it is cheaper and is all wheel drive.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I can drive both back to back. After getting used to Lexus refinement and reliablity, the WRX may not appeal to me after all. We'll see, I guess.

I personally find it interesting to hear people's insights as to the strengths and weaknesses of both of these cars (and others too). YMMV.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Wow, after watching that first video, I want one badly. Like that Top Gear chick too, great magazine. It must be an IS300 competitor, cause the two cars I'd consider trading my BMW for are the IS300 5 speed and the WRX.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Too bad I needed a car desperately last fall that's why I bought the IS or else I would have gotten the Subaru this spring. Could have save 10K and get a bit more performance.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
In that video, the WRX seems to corner amazingly flat, with a beautiful 4 wheel drift. Not many cars in the US can do that. IS300 needs a stiffer, more neutral suspension to do it. TRD maybe?

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
I guess the two cars in question would be considered competitors, but they just seem to be too different for me to concede to that. I mean the WRX is a performer that hard core enthusiasts will probably lean towards more often. The IS is a well handling sedan with mediocre power, but the emphasis is definitely on the luxury side. I like them both for different reasons, and if I were going to make a purchase this year, I'd look seriously at these two cars, and make my decision based upon whether or not my priority is luxury or performance.

------------------
MAD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts