Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Should I bring my SRT intake to a professional to get it installed. I'm afraid of doing the ecu myself. Doing the intake part is easy but the ecu part the hard one. I'm not too good on soldering all the piecess of wires together. How hard was it for you guys to install the intake by yourself. Did any of you do the intake by your self and no one else.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
you don't know anyone that can solder??? maybe an electronic engineer friend of yours...or maybe a guy who installs stereos or something...ask around...cause it's not really that bad...all the wires are easy to get to...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
98 MB CLK 320 white
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop/black
90 Integra pearl white

[This message has been edited by HyperMKIV (edited January 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
241 Posts
I downloaded the intructions and its actually pretty simple, the wiring diagram is fairly straight forward and only one wire is "cut" and re-routed through the ecu...with that said, If you really dont feel comfortable I wouldnt pay more than $40-50 max for install at a shop

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
wdskuk

I should be getting mine any day now.
I'll see if I can somehow take pics or something. I'll tell you if it's real hard or not, try to help you out. I doubt it's gonna be that bad.

I have a feeling you're gonna be paying a lot to have someone do it for you cause most shops don't like doing work on cars that are still under warranty.

Anyone know if the soldering involves soldering onto a circuit board, or simply soldering two wires together?

·
Registered
134 Posts
SophieSleeps,

I'm getting my intake any day now too...wondering if you'll like to meet up and work on it together...

·
Registered
88 Posts
SophieSleeps:

You only have to solder wires at the factory ECU harness - NO CIRCUIT BOARDS. Disconnect the factory harness at the connectors in the factory ECU box and remove the factory tape that bundles the wires so you'll have an easier time. Double check (triple check)that you are tapping and splicing into the correct wires.

TIPS:

1. After drilling the 3/8" hole on the side of the factory ECU cover, install the 3/8" rubber grommet and run the SRT wiring harness thru it BEFORE doing the wiring.

2. Two 1 inch pieces of 1/8" shrink tubes are provided with the kit. Slide these over the Green and the Orange wires on the SRT wiring harness BEFORE splicing these wires into the Green/Black (Sensor 1) wire of the factory ECU harness (this is the only wire that you actually have to cut). After soldering the Green and the Orange wires to the appropriate* sides of the factory harness wire, slide the shrink tubes over the connections and heat lighly with a lighter or match. They will shrink and insulate the connections. You may also tape with electrical tape for additional insurance.

* The Green wire from the SRT wiring harness connects to the Green/Black factory wire on the side where the factory harness connector is ("Stock Engine ECU" side according to schematic provided). The Orange wire from the SRT wiring harness connects to the Green/Black factory wire on the harness side ("To Engine" according to schematic provided).

The above will make more sense if you have already received your kit and had time to go over the instructions.

I posted some initial comments and link to photos on:
http://www.is300.net/forum_new/Forum2/HTML/000220.html

I also posted a list of tools you would need on:
http://www.is300.net/forum_new/Forum2/HTML/000235.html

Good luck.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Thanks BTY...that helps a lot. At first I thought I had to go out to the garage with my soldering iron.

I use these magnesium coated solder strips that will melt and solder at match or lighter temperatures...keep them with me in the car just in case. Makes it much easier.

PMD911. Grounding wires means you find a point on the car (usually an unpainted metal surface) to connect the wire. If you want to think in terms of Negative and Positive, it would be similar to a negative. And yes, it is important. You can go to a hardware store and find a tester for grounds. It usually looks like a pen with a light built in to it. You hook up the wire coming out of it a positive, and touch pieces of metal with the tip of the pen. If the light goes on, it's a good ground.

It also works the other way. Hook the wire to a ground, and find good positive power sources.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Muhammad:

Thanks for the comment.

PMD911:

I don't know in what context you're talking about "ground".

If it's in reference to installation of the SRT HFI, ALL of the wires on the SRT ECU wiring harness connects to the appropriate wires in the factory harness. There is a Black ground wire on the SRT ECU wiring harness that taps (solder) into the the Brown (ground) wire of the factory ECU harness. There are no wires on the SRT ECU wiring harness that connects directly to a grounded source (e.g. frame).

If it's in reference to "grounding" yourself before and while working on electronic components to prevent static discharge, you can touch a known grounded source (frame, bare metal) or you could use a "strap" attached to your wrist with a wire that's attached to a grounded source. The "strap" is used more for working on computers. For the installation of the SRT HFI, this is not necessary since you would have been touching metal surfaces while installing the intake. If you want to be sure, just touch some unpainted metal (engine) before working on the wiring. I don't think this is much of an issue unless you live where static electricity is a problem.

·
Registered
333 Posts
PMD911, I printed the pictures off of this site for refference as I installed. I think it helped and is a good idea. Its not near as hard as it sounds. I did have Gennady (whom I met on this site) come over and help me. Two minds are always better than one. Good luck, You will deffinately enjoy it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
Hunt NXS
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing