Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS 300 owners: My friend has an Audi TT and according to their Audi TT forum, the stock Bridgestone Potenzas on our IS300 loses traction even with LSD during wintery conditions.

Has anyone had this exeprience yet?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Umm...shouldn't you be using snow tires during wintery conditions (assuming you mean "snowy" when you say "wintery") or all-season tires as opposed to a performance tire optimized for dry-weather use?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah - Lexus says that the 17" wheels come with "summer performance tires", so I wouldn't expect them to be very good on snow or ice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The RE040s are WORTHLESS in snow. They are NOT rated for ANY sort of snow or ice traction capability, same with the Goodyear which is also a tire option for the car.

On the 16" wheels the Bridgestone RE92s are moderate for the car. bottom line is the car needs a dedicated winter tire setup to have any real capability if you need it.

Hope this helps!
Eddie

------------------
Eddie
Personal Web: http://www.e46fanatics.com/eddie

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yes, Lexus uses the Potenza, I have it on my IS.
RE92 sucks, it came with my 96 Eclipse GSX, and its traction is not that good and the tread worn off at around 11000 miles. I switched to Dunlop SP8000 and had that until I sold my car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Supposedly, Lexus will offer Winter tires at $50 bucks per tire and store your summer tires until Spring.-Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by PDT:
Supposedly, Lexus will offer Winter tires at $50 bucks per tire and store your summer tires until Spring.-Sounds good to me.
How does this worK? I have not heard of this deal with my dealer yet...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The 17" wheels come with Bridgestone Potenza RE040 _OR_ Goodyear Eagle GS-D. The factory just uses whatever they happen to have available at the time. Supposedly 66% are Goodyears and 33% are Bridgestone.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The sales person also informed me that they will store my summer tires. Didn't mention anything about offering winter tires for $50 though. I didn't inquire any further since it's the middle of summer and I don't want to be thinking of driving my IS in the snow yet.

But now that we've brought it up...anyone have any suggestions for a good all-season or fall/winter tire (besides Blizzaks)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
PXM
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing