Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brake Kit Review

The Decision

Well with the install of my PFS Stage 2 kit I figured some good stopping power was in store. I researched all of the brands Rotora, Stoptech, Brembo, Endless, Project Mu, Grex Alcon and a few other custom kits.

After reviewing all of the kits and talking to a few dealers and customers I chose Brembo over the rest for several reasons. Pricing was middle of the road compared to the peer group. Reputation and customer service I found to be top of the line. This doesn’t sound like a big issue but if I was to order something from Japan you can understand why customer service could be and issue. Also, Brembo’s are used in Nascar and F1 racing substantially more than any other company. This was another good sign of the quality besides its great name. Another key point was that I wanted a kit that would allow me to retain the use of my factory wheels if I chose to do so or in the event I got a flat. This is done via a small spacer. Also, I am sure all of the big brake kits reduce the weight up front. The Brembo kit comes in 18lbs lighter on each corner.

The Install

The install went relatively smooth. The biggest problem was breaking free the factory bolts that hold the calipers on and removing the factory brake lines. After this was completed it was a breeze. The kit comes with easy to follow instructions along with everything you need to do the job except for tools. I highly recommend to anyone doing any brake line upgrade to invest in some line wrenches. You also have to cut the rotor shield to get it off and we did that with a 3” grinder. Make sure have some brake cleaner available to make sure you have no leaks when you start bleeding. One of my Goodridge SS brake lines had a leak right out of the box. I called Brembo and they had a new one on my doorstep buy noon the next day. They also sent a package to ship the bad line back to them. I was amazed at how good the customer service was. But again that is one of the reason I went with them.

Bedding the Brakes

This was the fun part. However, it’s very dangerous to do with a lot of traffic on the road. I performed my bedding in process on about 20 miles of country road back in PA. I made 2 passes going from 40 to 20 and then 4 from 50/60 to 20 and then a few high-speed slow downs. I made sure I left them cool down in between each slow down. I was truly amazed how much crossed drilled rotors vent off brake dust. Wheels looked like they where painted black. Anyways after I did the bedding in I drove for a while without touching the brakes so that they could cool down to normal driving temperatures.

Day-to-Day Driving

The brakes act like factory brakes until they warm up when they become like glue. They do not become very aggressive until you really get on them. The several times I have done this, the car nose-dived and stopped immediately. To the point it shocked me a little. The nose-diving is not an issue anymore since I put the Tein Flex on but with the factory suspension it was very noticeable. I have experienced no fade on stop and go traffic or under high-speed stops. So far Brembo has lived up to the reputation and quality I expected with this purchase.

I am looking forward purchasing the rear kit as soon as Brembo releases it in several months.

Overall

I have logged almost 3k miles on the car and it stops and feels great. I am still hesitant to put the car to its limits for fear of crashing it. In fact, I baby it more now than I did before. I do abuse it a little on the interstate or if Peter is driving it. But for the amount of money I have put into this car you guys would do the same.

Here are a few pictures. Sorry if the pics load slow. Imagestation blows and currently using geocities. Looking into some other hosting alternatives. The pics will eventually load.

If they don’t show up you can see them hear as well. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289161157

·
Registered
584 Posts
looks very nice man!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tsopranoMB said:
congrats bro! looks really nice!!

hey, you didnt mention which brake pads your using??

just curious...good luck and be safe!!!!!
They come with hi performance pads. I am waiting to here back from my guy if Brembo manufactures these or if they have a partnership with another firm. He did say they have a big variety pads for this kit depending on ones application.

blueIS said:
last time i checked, only the front brakes were available. are those for all four wheels?
You are correct. Brembo currently only makes the front for the IS. However, I am told hopefully within few months they should be rolling a rear kit. So thats my christmas gift when its available.

Guys thank for all the compliments.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.