Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I get you Guys Mixed up with Grand Theft Auto? Well If I DID .... Gotcha!!!

With my IS coming in 2.5 weeks time I'm getting a little too anxious about it, but here is my question.

How many Miles/Kilometers does it take to break in the engine of an average brand new car? I have heard you should not go over 3000 rpm for the first 3000 Kilo's..

·
Registered
424 Posts
For Toyota/Lexus cars, the break-in period is around 1800Km. Also no hard braking for the first 300KM to 500KM as the brake pads also need to break in (fitting with the surface of the brake disc).

Also not to stay at constant rpm all the time, i.e. preferably not on highway for the first 1800km in a smooth traffic situation or you just occasionally press the gas pedals so that the rpm would change some time when you have to go to highway.

Actually, the above are more or less written in the manual and so you just have to take a look at it.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yep. Usually they say 500 or 1000 miles in the USA. Treat it nice for the first 1000 miles. I think it is best not to put a big strain on the engine in that period... Like don't go driving over a steep mountain pass. Also it is probably good not to do a bunch of engine start and stops during that period so you may want to plan a couple of modest road trips (under 55mph) to give the engine a chance to settle in soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This engine is bulletproof but TEG gives sound advice. Try to vary you revs the first thousand miles. City driving is perfect for this. Then you can start bouncing off the rev limiter......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts