Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on the break in for the IS-F. I was supposed to take delivery on Friday, but when I got to the dealership, I drove the car and the tach did not work ;-( I was told that it was just a fuse not in from a friend but whatever. I am picking it up tomorrow. The MSRP was also over, I am getting the NM special build, anyone else have that problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
On page 107 of the IS-F owner's manual it states:

-To extend the life of the vehicle, the following precautions are recommended to observe:
For the first 186 miles avoid sudden stops.

-For the first 621 miles:
-Do not drive at extremely high speeds
-Avoid sudden acceleration
-Do not drive continuously in the low gears
Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Interesting ranges they suggest, I wonder how they came up with them.

So long as you have given the motor time to reach it's normal operating temperature, I doubt you can harm it and there are many people who think a nice hard run while young is a good thing - just remember - its gotta be warmed up. It is important to let off after you accelerate, it seats the piston rings on the other side and gives you the best seal. The sooner you do this to a motor, the better it seals.

If you do choose to run it hard, change the oil at 500-1000 miles to remove any fine debris you loosen up. Some peope believe that's bad because there are special additives to help break in from the factory, I cannot speak one way or another about that.

Typically, the cars run hard at break-in are faster than those babied...seems to be my experience. Good luck.

Eric

·
Registered
83 Posts
just follow the manual as they say it. and if you ever rev it up during this period, just don't rev it too hard and let the tach drop by itself slowly without braking. this causes a backpressure that pulls and seats the pistons :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
almost at 1000 miles...dang...in only a lil over 2 weeks...:blush:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think I already manage over 700 miles in less than 1 week of taking ownership. Sometimes it's hard not to drive the car in a given day. ;)
heh I know what you mean...but dang...hate going to the gas station too often...although I do it anyway...lol...I haven't let the car even light up when it needs gas...when it is at the half the tank...I fill it up...lol :) Hopefully gas prices will go down...so I can fill it up with racing gas! hahaha lol :bigSmile:

·
Registered
49 Posts
heh I know what you mean...but dang...hate going to the gas station too often...although I do it anyway...lol...I haven't let the car even light up when it needs gas...when it is at the half the tank...I fill it up...lol :) Hopefully gas prices will go down...so I can fill it up with racing gas! hahaha lol :bigSmile:
Yup, same here. I haven't made it go below 1/2 a tank before filling up again. I doubt we will see a drop in the price of gas anytime soon. I am 950 miles as of now. I think after my next 100 or so miles I will drive it a bit less. This reminds me, I need to call to setup my 1000 miles checkup at the dealership...

·
.net superior m.f.
23,266 Posts
how many miles have you guys gotten on a tank?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts