Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put down a deposit on a yellow S2000. I know that with most cars it is wise to keep the revs below 4000RPM during the first 1000 miles. However, most cars redline at 6,000RPM or less, not 9,000RPM like the S2000. Heck, the vtec doesn't even kick in until 6,000RPM. Therefore, would it be okay to rev the S2K higher than 4,000RPM during the break-in period?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
sounds good but i dunno if i'd wnat a car some drug dealer drove ;P hehe =)
thanks though i'm taking a look right now =)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may recognize some of those cars as ones that were owned by your friends and "business associates".

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by viggen:
I just put down a deposit on a yellow S2000. I know that with most cars it is wise to keep the revs below 4000RPM during the first 1000 miles. However, most cars redline at 6,000RPM or less, not 9,000RPM like the S2000. Heck, the vtec doesn't even kick in until 6,000RPM. Therefore, would it be okay to rev the S2K higher than 4,000RPM during the break-in period?

Viggen, If you don't mind me asking, what is the S2K setting you back? What options did you opt for? Did you have to pay MSRP or more?

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
viggen, do not avoid vtec plenum opening -- under any circumstances. 99% of people believe that breaking a car in = babying it, and that's not true. a car has to be broken in across the entire range it will see after the break-in period, not just <x revs. from a number of porsche tech classes i took, the best way to break an engine in is to let the engine see all sorts of conditions, sometimes with erratic changes, and to build revs slowly at first. yes, u can rev to 6-8K, but don't let the revs mount quickly under full throttle until you start seeing 400-500 miles on it.

if u don't open the vtec plenum, you are doing your car a great disservice. open it up every now and again.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cardinal_creek, I've agreed to pay $33,500 plus tax for the S2000. The dealer wanted $36,000. My car will have no optional equipment. In fact, the only options available on S2Ks are dealer-installed accessories like a rear spoiler. The car will be here in mid-October.

Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
Viggen, If you don't mind me asking, what is the S2K setting you back? What options did you opt for? Did you have to pay MSRP or more?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I have always heard that you should not exceed 2/3 engine capacity until ~1000 miles. In fact, I went over to the Benz factory with my folks to pick up a new car for my mother years ago and that was also their advice. To answer your question I would stay under 6 grand on the revs and less than 100 on your speedo.

·
Registered
571 Posts
hey, at least with a drug dealer's car,
you get free 20'' chrome rims.

(for people driving with 20'' rims...that was a joke.)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by vvtipwr:
hey, at least with a drug dealer's car,
you get free 20'' chrome rims.

(for people driving with 20'' rims...that was a joke.)
Don't forget the free window tinting and gold trim.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A word of advice.

Test drive the car to make sure you like it before you buy it.
If your stupid dealer won't allow it or they do not have one for test drive, rent one from one of those exotic car rental places.
Like I said before, S2000 is a great car but its not for everybody.

There's one owner who wants to sell her S2000 after only 350 mi because she said the seat hurts her back within minutes of driving the car. She had no prior awareness of this because the dealer did not have a S2000 for test drive. BTW, personally I think those Recaro seats are perfect.

As for the break in period, its 600 mi. and most owners agree on NO VTEC (6K) within that time. Anything below that is fine.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well, the IS300 manual says not to exceed 4000 RPMs or 55Mph in the first 1000 miles. It also said to avoid hard braking.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
Well, the IS300 manual says not to exceed 4000 RPMs or 55Mph in the first 1000 miles. It also said to avoid hard braking.
all manuals say something similar, even for my porsche 951. to maximize performance and longevity, the engine needs to be gently broken in across nearly all rev ranges. avoid hard braking, yes, but declerate suddenly and then slowly get back up to speed. force the car to be in a gear other that what the ECU decides is best.

if it helps, this isn't me talking...this is porsche's tech instructor for pca/smr.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know any drug dealers, but I have a friend who moonlights as a pimp in Vegas. He owns a Lincoln Navigator with chrome wheels, a Range Rover 4.6HSE with chrome wheels, and a Dodge Durango with chrome wheels (do you see a pattern here?)

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by viggen:
I don't know any drug dealers, but I have a friend who moonlights as a pimp in Vegas. He owns a Lincoln Navigator with chrome wheels, a Range Rover 4.6HSE with chrome wheels, and a Dodge Durango with chrome wheels (do you see a pattern here?)
why sure...all sport-utes

SUV drivers = pimps

simple

what do i win?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I tried to keep my foot off the gas but it didn't work. Didn't damage the car a bit as far as I can tell. So try to be easy on it but don't kill yourself to stay under VTEC.

Drove the heck out of the car for the first 4-5 days so it would have "enough" miles to really push it at an autocross practice the weekend after I got it.

Has 8,500 miles on it, autocross it across the country nearly every weekend all summer, its almost to it's first birthday (mid-October) and no problems. Clutch spins easy on high rpm launches as it will with all of them, shifting is tight (but I don't get "the grind"), but absolutely problem free. Unless you consider chronic oversteer a problem...

you may want to check out honda-acura.net - there's a VERY active S2K list.

Annie
Y2K S2K #98 AS/ASL Solo II
Y2K+1 IS300

1 - 19 of 19 Posts