Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly occurs during break in? Is is really necessary for 1000 miles?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I honestly never break in a car. I believe you should beat on it out of the gates b/c this way the car breaks in to your driving style. I also lease so who cares about longevity. Break in period is good for the clutch so no power shifting.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sentinel - I took it easy the first 1000 miles. I did over 1k miles in less then a week and have noticed that the gearbox is not nearly as notchy/tight as the first day I got it.

The manual suggests a 1k mile break in for longevities sake - but there really is a big debate as to how much of a difference this makes. Regardless - I took it easy. Taking it slow for 1k miles is really a very small price to pay.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its so hard

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm at 235 miles right now and we are rollin tonight down the streets and I CANNOT race due to this break in period.

I say it goes both ways but overall, I guess one should be easy on the clutch for the first 1000 miles. I drive no more than 70 mph and rev no more than 4K rpms.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Originally posted by jraccord:
I'm at 235 miles right now and we are rollin tonight down the streets and I CANNOT race due to this break in period.

I say it goes both ways but overall, I guess one should be easy on the clutch for the first 1000 miles. I drive no more than 70 mph and rev no more than 4K rpms.
This 2002 manual said no more than 55mph...
But heck, I try to limit myself under 70mph.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
It's not just keep the engine under a certain RPM or keep the car under a certain MPH...during break-in you need to vary the engine speed (RPM).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts