Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly occurs during break in? Is is really necessary for 1000 miles?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I honestly never break in a car. I believe you should beat on it out of the gates b/c this way the car breaks in to your driving style. I also lease so who cares about longevity. Break in period is good for the clutch so no power shifting.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sentinel - I took it easy the first 1000 miles. I did over 1k miles in less then a week and have noticed that the gearbox is not nearly as notchy/tight as the first day I got it.

The manual suggests a 1k mile break in for longevities sake - but there really is a big debate as to how much of a difference this makes. Regardless - I took it easy. Taking it slow for 1k miles is really a very small price to pay.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its so hard

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm at 235 miles right now and we are rollin tonight down the streets and I CANNOT race due to this break in period.

I say it goes both ways but overall, I guess one should be easy on the clutch for the first 1000 miles. I drive no more than 70 mph and rev no more than 4K rpms.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Originally posted by jraccord:
I'm at 235 miles right now and we are rollin tonight down the streets and I CANNOT race due to this break in period.

I say it goes both ways but overall, I guess one should be easy on the clutch for the first 1000 miles. I drive no more than 70 mph and rev no more than 4K rpms.
This 2002 manual said no more than 55mph...
But heck, I try to limit myself under 70mph.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
It's not just keep the engine under a certain RPM or keep the car under a certain MPH...during break-in you need to vary the engine speed (RPM).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
JW
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing