Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get an E-shift. What should I do to break it in properly? I'm not a racer, but I do like to punch it every now and then, or take a light-to-light race. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
513 Posts
It tells you in the manual but don't go over 4k rpm in the first 1k miles, then let 'er rip after that! Other than that there's nothing "special" that you have to do. Good luck man, the first 1k miles is a bitch.

·
Registered
660 Posts
my dealer told me the engine didn't require any special break-in procedures... just don't drive it at one constant speed for a long time - vary rpm and speed for the first 500-1000k miles and you'll be fine. i haven't pounded mine, but i've definitely had it above 4k rpms and it's only got 500 miles on it...

hope i didn't screw myself :eek:

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
varying the speed is for ring break in, and that is a special prodcedure, i babied mine until 984 miles, where i took it to the track and ran a 14.9 bone stock. i didn't take it above 4 or 5 grand either, as well as varied the rpms

-gte

ISthree00 said:
my dealer told me the engine didn't require any special break-in procedures... just don't drive it at one constant speed for a long time - vary rpm and speed for the first 500-1000k miles and you'll be fine. i haven't pounded mine, but i've definitely had it above 4k rpms and it's only got 500 miles on it...

·
Registered
660 Posts
IS300GTE said:
varying the speed is for ring break in, and that is a special prodcedure, i babied mine until 984 miles, where i took it to the track and ran a 14.9 bone stock. i didn't take it above 4 or 5 grand either, as well as varied the rpms

-gte

ISthree00 said:

GTE - i'm PISSED at my dealer!!!! :pissed: :pissed:

what kinda effect will my running it over 4k already have on the car??

dangit :whine: :whine:

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
it PROBABLY won't have too much of an effect, depending on if you drove it like a complete asshole, or just got on it a couple of times. i'm just anal, i knew my motor was coming out after a few thousand miles anyways, but wanted to treat her right. thats why i haven't sold it, i won't be able to buy another one (if the time should come) that will have been treated the way i treated her.

it actually won't effect you at all, most likely, if you don't keep the car when it is out of warranty

-gte

ISthree00 said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte

ISthree00 said:

GTE - i'm PISSED at my dealer!!!! :pissed: :pissed:

what kinda effect will my running it over 4k already have on the car??

dangit :whine: :whine:

·
Registered
660 Posts
i've driven it conservatively, but have gotten on it a few times... never redline though.

i do plan to keep it till the wheels fall off so hopefully it won't affect things in the long run... i certainly haven't abused her :D

thanks for the input

·
Registered
375 Posts
I did the same thing too when I got my IS. The dealer said to drive it as fast as I want. It wasn't until I got home and cracked open my manual that I read the break-in procedures.

I was ready to strangle the salesguy :pissed:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
10 Participants
SupaLex
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing