Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8) here is some interesting information regarding "breaking in" our engines or any engine for that matter. i know most of you have had your cars for awhile and the damage is probably already done so read on and just enjoy.

i know that there will be some people out there with differences of opinions and that is what this is to generate. i can tell you that i firmly believe in synthetic oil and ring life. ring life is dependent on the "sealing" to the cylinder wall and not just scraping it. different ring gaps are also dictated by what set up each car has (e.g. turbo set up, super charger, nitrous, higher compression and so on...). simply put-there are quite a few variables that i could go into that most of you wouldnt understand the physics behind, so just read the article and tell me what you think.

PS-i was on a race team for 7 years and raced with some "big boys" in late model class and all of it makes sense in this article-from the OLD way of honing a block and the NEW ways of honing blocks for different cars. and by the way, there is such a thing as a CERAMIC liner/sleeve for cylinders..... :) there are very few cars that have a ceramic cylinder sleeves. they are generally used in motorcycle applications because of cost. the benefit of a ceramic sleeve is less friction resulting in more RPM, lower oil temps, cylinder temps, and overall better efficiency. the second reason why auto manufacturers dont use them is that the ceramic doesnt wear out. think about it for a second....how many auto makers make a living on just parts alone?? quite a few. take for example the beetle. just think of it if that car never wore out...we all would still be driving a beetle. how much do you think our cars are worth in parts?? alot more than what we paid for them new!!!!

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

anyways, thanks for the space.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whoops...forgot the url....duh...

it is interesting for all you techno geeks that think you know everything....but cant figure out how to open a capri sun without squirting it on your self.... :crazy:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Why do you think that your so smart??? There's alot of engineers and automotive geniuses on this board...don't assume we just won't know what you're talking about.

I read your site and have one question. Where's the proof? Yeah you show two pistons side by side...but that's not enough evidence to support your "break-in theory". So what if the engines were broken in differently. Were the bikes driven exactly the same? Did they use the same oil? Did they go the same period of time between oil changes? Do they even have the same number of miles on them???

Even still...this is only one case and it is for an extremely high revving motorcycle engine...not a 6 krpm redline car engine.

No offense but the site just sounds like some guy in a bar telling you his opinions without backing them up in any way other than saying "think about it..."

Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinions and that's fine. You may have a very good point. You may even be right. But you've got to back it up with some substance.

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
any man or woman can open up a domain and write up some bullshit theory. Again like everyone is saying in the post, you got a theory but where is ur proof of such theory. Don't criticize people just because they don't believe in your theory. And if this would be the case in the further, take my advice and get off the forum because this forum is a place where those who needs help, to seek, not to come on and be criticized for unjustified reasonings.
There are many members in this forum, who have great knowledge of the automotive world. And they have been here to help many of us, they probably haven't responded to your post because they are most likely way and above your theory. But one thing hold true, you probably their laughing stock of the day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
engine break in theory...

wow,

sounds like a bunch of disgruntled people that cant even be open minded.

this post was to generate open opinions NOT TO BASH PEOPLE as some of you have. it was here to open a discussion about the way people have broken in THEIR engines not to question ones opinion about an engine break in procedure.

my wife and I have recently purchased a new 04 is300 and some of you NOT ALL OF YOU have your "little opinions" about certain things on this post. FOR EXAMPLE FOR YOU THAT NEED SOME SUBSTANCE....i read a post that a newbie was asking a question about his car and the reply was "DO A SEARCH..." and bagged on the poor guy. he was here for YOUR HELP and someone replied negatively to him...how did it make him feel?? no one thought about that first, instead he was bashed on by several members and probably didnt get his answer.

there are plenty of OPEN MINDED INFORMATION people out there that would read such a post and think about it for just one second before bashing on the author. i am sure their are plenty of ENGINEERS out there on this post that will or will not agree with the MAN AT THE BAR TELLING STORIES BULLSH!T theory. do you actually think that NASCAR ENGINES, SCCA ENGINES, ALMS ENGINES, PORSCHE ENGINES, AUDI ENGINES, AND LIST GOES ON...think about the break in when they race their cars??? hmmm i think we need to take this engine and drive it in a 996 turbo for 1500 miles before bringing it to 6k rpm and then put it in the race car or the general public car. i dont think so. i also understand that they can tear apart their engines and inspect each individual part because they have the money. us on the other hand, well that is another story...

i have worked closely with several engineers when i worked for a major manufacturer building CMP machines for the semi conductor industry. i know how engineers think because when i am building something for them for the first time, they take suggestions from the people building them. if there is a better way to do something, then lets do it that way.

for those who like to write " And if this would be the case in the further, take my advice and get off the forum because this forum is a place where those who needs help, to seek, not to come on and be criticized for unjustified reasonings. " IF YOU READ THE POST IT IS NOT MY THEORY. it was something i had read in a general search for engine builders/remanufacturers and thought it may be useful to some.

and as far as my theory goes...dont have one. dont have my proof. where is your proof that the author is wrong?? THAT IS WHY IT IS CALLED A THEORY. every car is different and people use different oils. i believe in mobil 1 oil. i have ran it in several of my cars and they all have high miles now. my 1990 mustang 5.0 with a built engine has 180k on the clock and the wifes car honda accord 1993 has an amazing 280k on the clock and still has excellent compression. we use mobil 1 15-50 in our race car and it lived a happy life for a full race season(65 races at a consistent 7k rpm with a 9500 redline 355cu engine). i can show you proof that the oil temps DO matter and not just water temps. when the team went with a NON mobil 1 oil -in the same engine during the same race season-it blew a rod. want proof?? i will e mail the pic of the piston to you cause i still have the piston as a reminder.

SOUNDS LIKE A PERSONAL ATTACK ON ME- HMMMMMM....

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
yeahright88 said:
anyways, thanks for the space.....
What CAI do you have. No one makes one.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Re: engine break in theory...

yeahright88 said:
when the team went with a NON mobil 1 oil -in the same engine during the same race season-it blew a rod. want proof?? i will e mail the pic of the piston to you cause i still have the piston as a reminder.
well, cause and effect hasn't been established; only correlation. If you had said that you were running another similar engine with non-mobil 1 oil from the very beginning of the season then, maybe, you can establish cause and effect.

there are better oils than mobil 1. mobil 1 is just the most popular.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: engine break in theory...

yeahright88 said:
this post was to generate open opinions NOT TO BASH PEOPLE as some of you have. it was here to open a discussion about the way people have broken in THEIR engines not to question ones opinion about an engine break in procedure.
If that's the case you should've wrote something like "I have heard different things about breaking in engines. Some people say to stay below 3krpm for the first 1000 miles, however, this website suggests..."

If you want to get bashed, you write:
yeahright88 said:
i know most of you have had your cars for awhile and the damage is probably already done so read on and just enjoy.
and

yeahright88 said:
simply put-there are quite a few variables that i could go into that most of you wouldnt understand the physics behind, so just read the article and tell me what you think.
I'm not closed minded. But when somebody tells me that they are smarter than me and I wouldn't understand what their talking about...I say put on the flame suit.

And here's something else.

In 4th grade science class we learn what constants and variables are. In order to prove something happened (i.e. throwing a rod) as a result of another event (changing oil) you can only have 1 variable (oil) and everything else must remain constant. You may even be able to make an arguement based on trends.
Example: We used Mobil 1 and Syntec on 10 different engines. We threw rods in 7 of the Syntec engines and only threw 3 with Mobil 1. Following this test there are quite a few statistical analysis that I could go into that you probably wouldn't understand the mathematics behind. The arguement that "we switched from Mobil 1 once and threw a rod" isn't quite proof.

And now onto the newb bashing issue. I've been a member of this forum for 4 months and have never been criticized for my posts. Here's why:
1) I always search first. Theres so much information on this website if you can weed through some BS (though most of it is pretty funny). This may also be a reason why I only have about 70 posts in 4 months. I can always find what I'm looking for because the odds are that it has been covered before.
2) Be courteous. If you come off as a know-it-all, racist, sexist, or just and a**hole in general...put on the flame suit.

Have a great day!

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
Re: whoops...forgot the url....duh...

yeahright88 said:

it is interesting for all you techno geeks that think you know everything....but cant figure out how to open a capri sun without squirting it on your self.... :crazy:
you're trying to make a point, but comments like this just pisses everyone off. You come on here, and make comments like that, of course people are going to think you're a joke. We don't know your automotive background experience, etc. In this forum most, earn themember's respect of their knowledge in the automotive field, you can't just come up in here and post up something and try to make yourself a genius.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well,

it sounds like a disscussion about me instead of the topic. THAT IS NOT WHAT THE POST WAS ABOUT. my apologies if the wise crack comments offended anyone. im not here to take an IQ test against you or anyone for that matter, but i do think it shows that people get offended by comments made by other people in this post and how newb people like you and i take them differently. how do i know that someone is joking or being serious-like when (something weve all done i think) tried to open a capri sun pouch for our kids and stuck the straw in it and it squirted out on us....im no genius, but it sounds like some of you want to question my intelligence. i just look at simple logic and like to apply it in most cases. i do consider myself a teckno geek and so does my wife-BTW.

THIS THEORY IS NOT MY THEORY-LETS GET THAT STRAIGHT. i think i was being courteous first off by suggesting that their may be a better way to get more life out of our engines and starting a post about it. yes, their are constants and variables, however, their are also actions and reactions. lets say that you use only mobil 1 oil or some other form of good oil, and i just use a conventional oil. having seen the insides of several race engines(355ci 600hp sprint car engines) and what they use i would have to say that the life blood of most of those engines were synthetic oils-redline, castrol, mobil 1, lucas, amsoil, valvoline, and the list goes on. now, im not saying that their are inferior oils, just personal preference.

perhaps you are right, maybe i should have suggested that we should keep our engines below 3k rpms , however this website suggests.......how many of us really did that?? i didnt. how many of us actually changed your oil after the first 1k miles? does anyone think that the small shavings that when the rings are sealing in the engine help things in the oil? i thought it was to prevent wear not to leave it in the engine for 3k miles and change it.

anyways, enough said. no offense taken from anyone. just a post that did what it was supposed to do and light a fire about breaking in proceedures and differences in opinions.

have a nice day-drive safe now.... :)

·
8,827 Posts
Engine life is the last thing I would worry about.
If properly mainteinded, it will work for a very very long time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.