Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Deffinitly rust all over the brakes. It really annoys me. Some of the IS's that have been made more recently dont have that problem because Lexus noticed it, and is doing something to prevent rust. Im painting over all of the rust this weekend.

·
8,107 Posts
Killer, do you mean on the rotors or the calipers? Calipers shouldn't rust, but it's impossible to keep rotors from rusting

Originally posted by BMW killer3:
Does anyone else notice that there brakes seem to appear to have rust on them?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
it isn't impossible, i read about these rotors that are made from nickel or part nickel, or something to where they don't rust or flash rust when sitting for a little while.

Originally posted by ckolsen:
Killer, do you mean on the rotors or the calipers? Calipers shouldn't rust, but it's impossible to keep rotors from rusting

·
Registered
759 Posts
The rust doesn't effect the braking. Eventually it'll be gone after you brake a few times. Get some carbon fiber rotors if you don't want rust but man, hope you got the dough!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Well, that's what GT2 uses. But the problem with Carbon Fiber brake is that they are extremely tricky to use, and if you get a defective one, well, you don't want to know what may happen to you and your car (ever seen carbon fiber disk explode?)
I don't think anyone has carbon fiber rotor for sale yet, and even if someone do make it, you will only want to get it from Brembo. Carbon Fiber disk is fabricated in a very special way, each disk take 6 month to make, and you need very special tools to make them. Anyway, I believe the optional composite brake on 911 Turbo (standard on GT2) is about $15K, so I don't think you want it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fellas, it is the rotor that is rusting. It is the calipers. What do you guys suggest I do? Should I go by my Lexus dealership to see what the deal is?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Go drive around the block and look - no more rust on the rotors !

Mine have rust too - but only when the car hasn't been driven for a while.

Like ISsard22CU I have also had to do some painting a couple times a year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
BMW killer3
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing