Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just today when I tried to start my car I noticed that I could not depress my brakes. They were fine when I drove the car home yesterday but today when I tried to start it, it would not depress.

The car was sitting in my driveway all night so no one drove it. this is the first time that it has happened.

Please help as I have no idea what happened.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Did the pedal work fine once the engine was running and vacuum was accumulated? Not sure if a vacuum leak would cause the brake booster to not work, giving you a hard pedal, but do you notice any lines off the BB? Even if the pedal was pushed with the car off until the pedal got hard as a rock, it should release once the engine is running.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not try to start the car as I did not want to mess with nething and got scared lmao....

Usually I my method of starting the car is:

Step on clutch, go to neutral, step on brakes, start car.

Sometimes i will just pull the e-brake instead of pressing the brakes to start.

I read that if u step on the brakes while the car is off u lose the vacuum, would that be the case or would there be more of an underlying issue?

Would this happen everytime i start the car now because like i said above this is the first time.

I dont usually pump by brakes when the engine is off.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I read that if u step on the brakes while the car is off u lose the vacuum, would that be the case or would there be more of an underlying issue?
Well, yeah but, that's normal. There's no sequence with the brakes and you can push them any time anywhere.

I dont usually pump by brakes when the engine is off.
It doesn't matter if you do or don't. You seem to have some pretty wild idea's about how the brakes work. The vaccum just assists pressing the brakes the brakes work whether you have vaccum or not.

If you get in the car and press down hard on the brake pedal, what happens?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
To explain "vacuum".

When your car is running it's making a vacuum in the intake manifold so, the minute you crank it up, you have your vacuum back. Imagine a closed box with something sucking the air out. That gives you a vacuum. The intake manifold butterfly is mostly closed at idle but, the pistons are still sucking air out of the intake. This makes a vacuum which is routed to the brake booster. It's used by the PCV system too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts