Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been noticing that when i slowly depress the brakes, my steering wheel seems to wobble.. its kinda strange, but it only happens when i depress the brakes slowly, if its an abrupt stop, it tends not to do it..

i think it has something to do with the brakes or rotors... but im not sure...

any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i was just planning on getting new rotors all around... would it be better to resurface?

asking on suggestions for brands of rotors...

whether they should be slotted, drilled, etc.

right now i was thinking either brembo or ebc... anyone have better suggestions?

·
Registered
208 Posts
i was just planning on getting new rotors all around... would it be better to resurface?

asking on suggestions for brands of rotors...

whether they should be slotted, drilled, etc.

right now i was thinking either brembo or ebc... anyone have better suggestions?
I went with Brembo slotted rotors with EBC red stuff pads = excellent!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
From what I've read on this site, some of the Brembos are pretty overrated. They may look good with the slots, but I've heard of cracking and warping.

If you're looking to upgrade, definitely go for it. But if it's just because you have a slight warp on the rotor, you can just resurface it and get another 20,000 miles on it.

I changed my brakes last year. Went with OEM pads and another brand of rotors. I wouldn't switch the OEM pads for anything since they are so quiet and dust free. I settled for an alternate brand of rotor because the OEM were some $50 more expensive each. That's a $200 difference! My car still stops on a dime quietly and confidently.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
If you choose to get new rotors I highly recommend with going with Mountain Rotors, they are plain OEM style rotors. Made in Japan, some say that they are OEM Lexus/Toyota Rotors used from factory, but I can't say I know.

Here is the link, you can't go wrong with them. Quality stuff:

DriveWire.com - Discount Car Parts and Auto Accessories | Free Shipping

Look up for Mountain Rotors for IS300, I believe they are $120 for two front rotors.

As far as resurfacing, I never found that method to really work for long. You initially get the results but rather quickly the vibration comes back and in the end you end up replacing that rotor, but hey it was just my expirience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the more imput i can get, the better... so i appreciate it

new to the site, but so far.. ive found it helpful

another question:
what about ceramic pads? are they worth it?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
If you choose to get new rotors I highly recommend with going with Mountain Rotors, they are plain OEM style rotors. Made in Japan, some say that they are OEM Lexus/Toyota Rotors used from factory, but I can't say I know.

Here is the link, you can't go wrong with them. Quality stuff:

DriveWire.com - Discount Car Parts and Auto Accessories | Free Shipping

Look up for Mountain Rotors for IS300, I believe they are $120 for two front rotors.

As far as resurfacing, I never found that method to really work for long. You initially get the results but rather quickly the vibration comes back and in the end you end up replacing that rotor, but hey it was just my expirience.
$60 EACH for a rotor that draws comparisons with OEM is dirt cheap!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine does the same. At light braking, it will shake the steering wheel a little and with hard braking it is smooth. I was in the dilema today if I should just buy new rotors or just resurface them.

Ceramic is cleaner on your wheels and pretty much quieter. It is well worth it IMO. Semi-metallic eats up the rotors.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
$60 EACH for a rotor that draws comparisons with OEM is dirt cheap!
FYI, Keep in mind that Dealers in many cases mark up their parts by 100%. So those so called Lexus Rotors that you get from your dealer for $120 a piece, dealer gets for $60 a piece or even less in many cases. The company in Japan that makes these Mountain rotors is a factory supplier to Nissan/Toyota/Daihatsu, maybe it's a coincidence? Like I said previously, don't let the dealer prices fool you. I will give you guys more update as I put more mileage on them. I just put them on this past weekend. Still not broken in properly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
IMHO: brembo blanks and hawk hps
More than that and you're wasting your money. The rotors are an OEM style and quality, the pads are a street performance variety.

Slotted rotors for the most part are crap. On a street driven vehicle they're worthless and most of the slotted rotors out there are are gimmicky wannabe's. Crazy, high friction pads eat the hell out of the rotors...don't work till they're hot...sqeak/squeal/chatter till they're hot. If you want to throw money into a street driven brake setup, the only upgrades I would do are pads and stainless lines. Other than that, save it for a suspension upgrade or some better tires... Michelin PS2's!!!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
IMHO: brembo blanks and hawk hps
More than that and you're wasting your money. The rotors are an OEM style and quality, the pads are a street performance variety.

Slotted rotors for the most part are crap. On a street driven vehicle they're worthless and most of the slotted rotors out there are are gimmicky wannabe's. Crazy, high friction pads eat the hell out of the rotors...don't work till they're hot...sqeak/squeal/chatter till they're hot. If you want to throw money into a street driven brake setup, the only upgrades I would do are pads and stainless lines. Other than that, save it for a suspension upgrade or some better tires... Michelin PS2's!!!
This guy knows what he is talking about :)
Agree with you 100% buddy.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
It maybe me, but it seems that IS300 just Warps rotors like crazy. I know I'm on my third set of rotors and only have 73K mi on the car. Although some will say that they are still on their factory rotors with 80K mi on the car, so I guess go figure that one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It maybe me, but it seems that IS300 just Warps rotors like crazy. I know I'm on my third set of rotors and only have 73K mi on the car. Although some will say that they are still on their factory rotors with 80K mi on the car, so I guess go figure that one.
The number one cause of warped rotors that I've seen is improperly or over-torqued lugnuts. My last car could warp a rotor in 100 miles if the lugs weren't torqued properly. If you see someone going to town with an impact gun on the wheels rip it out of their hands and beat the life out of them with it. If they have one of those torque sticks on it they're partially forgiven but IMO a properly calibrated torque wrench is the only way to go.

On down the line: seized or sticky calipers and driving style. The sticky calipers is obvious, driving style isn't... coming to an abrupt stop from high speed and keeping your foot on the brake = bad... always roll it out and in the case of an auto, roll then put the car in neutral...foot off the brake

Another item is the pads themselves. The first year or two of the Acura TSX for example.... its stock pads weren't abrasive enough and after a few thousand miles the rotors would get a buildup of pad crap on them giving a warped feeling to the driver. Solution: turn the rotors and put on better pads. Bonus: have dealer admit that most honda brakes are complete and total crap.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
OEM makes great rotors... otherwise Stoptech is a good one as well.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Stainless steel braided brake lines are stiffer than the standard rubber hoses so when you step on the brake, more of the brake fluid pressure gets to the calipers resulting in firmer brake feel.

I'm not sure if it reduces stopping distances though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts