Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have the 250 X pkg fully loaded with f-sport upgrades, has 47,000 miles and haven't had to pay anything for brakes so far. I have had them replaced twice along with the rotors by the dealership under warranty. the last set of pads that they put on were the ceramic ones. only problem is now I am to the point I have to replace my rotors and pads on my dime. no more freebies.. (down to just under 3mm and have bad grooves in the rotors) I was thinking that as long as I have to do the brakes, to upgrade and install is350 calipers etc.. goes from the 2 piston to a 4 piston caliper and bigger rotor. from a little research, can get the kit from sewell for $723. How many of you guys have done this brake change and would you recomend it or look at other aftermarket set ups?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well why would you want to add more stopping power? I don't think you really need it... I have the same vehicle and a good set of rotors + pads should do you just fine. Just get some good quality products and your price could stay low while your braking abilities will be better over OEM. I got ATE slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads. Works beautifully, better than OEM.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
For street use changing your rotors or pads will have absolutely zero impact on stopping distance.... such a mod would be entirely cosmetic/subjective (ie it'll look different, and it might well feel different... but you'll still stop in exactly the same distance you did before).

For track use brake upgrades can have considerable value for fade resistance and other considerations that aren't relevant in normal street driving, but still won't reduce the "normal conditions" stopping distance of the car over the OEM parts.

If you want a deeper understanding of exactly what changing any individual part of your braking system can do for you (and more importantly what it can not do for you) I strongly suggest reading this:

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/pulpfriction/pfpage1.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Could you specify what model numbers you used for the "ATE slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads". Anyone else have any opinions on direct OEM replacements rotors and pads.

I have an is250 AWD 08 so the sizing may be different from a regular is250?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Could you specify what model numbers you used for the "ATE slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads". Anyone else have any opinions on direct OEM replacements rotors and pads.

Far as I know brakes are the same on RWD/AWD 250s... centric blank rotors and the OEM low dust pads will work as well as anything else for street use.

Slotted rotors will do nothing for you besides eat through pads faster unless you run the car on a track.

·
Vendor
5,567 Posts
Also do not forget, a larger rotor and caliper requires more fluid to travel through it to apply the force. This means, with the same master cylinder, you will need to press down harder for stopping on the street.

As for the track, a larger rotor can withstand more heat, and hence fade less. The larger caliper on the track can increase torque and put the holding power down via more pistons. Due to this, you have more control or modulation in the pedal, so its less of an on and off effect.

Again, for the street, its just for looks. I have to recommend a good set of pads and rotors since certain pads have better torque specs than stock from cold bite and will be more consistent on emergency stops.

Thats my $.02

Thanks in advance,

Edward – General Manager
1-800-959-0145 ext 5
[email protected]
AIM: THMotorsportscom
THMotorsports - Lowest Price Parts HKS Exhaust Apexi World Sport Koni Seibon Carbon Fiber ACT Exedy Clutch Skunk2 - Homepage

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I have the same vehicle and a good set of rotors + pads should do you just fine. Just get some good quality products and your price could stay low while your braking abilities will be better over OEM.
I agree unless it's a track only car or sees a lot of track time OR has a lot of power adders.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts

I can get the Hawk items for you. Let me know. We typically stock the HPS stuff, but can order ceramics for you. The other alternative would be some StopTech pads, which we always stock!

Dezod Motorsports. Brake Pads

·
Registered
89 Posts
OK well I just got my f-sport BBK and installed them myself. Im very happy I kept them. No matter what anyone says it makes a big difference. Now I have my stock BBK in the garage sitting down. From what ive read the 350 caliper make a big difference on the 250 like day and night. Let me know if your intrested its deafintely no where close to swell prices.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
OK well I just got my f-sport BBK and installed them myself. Im very happy I kept them. No matter what anyone says it makes a big difference. Now I have my stock BBK in the garage sitting down. From what ive read the 350 caliper make a big difference on the 250 like day and night. Let me know if your intrested its deafintely no where close to swell prices.

The laws of physics say the bbk makes exactly no difference to actual braking distance but you're welcome to argue with them :p

No doubt it can change the FEEL of the brakes but the car still won't stop any shorter

·
Registered
89 Posts
The laws of physics say the bbk makes exactly no difference to actual braking distance but you're welcome to argue with them :p

No doubt it can change the FEEL of the brakes but the car still won't stop any shorter
Hay your right the laws of physics apply but i think your taking it out of concept. Brakes apply friction that is converted in to heat. Now the more friction you apply without the heat the faster you stop. The rotors that are larger can withstand more heat allowing you to apply the brakes harder and longer without getting hotter. This is why BBK have larger rotors and may be crossdrilled or slotted. To keep the rotors cooler. The more pistons you have the more braking force you can apply. IMO. But you can just look at the video of the stock 350 compared to the f-sport 350 and see which one brakes faster. The Video and Lexus says f-sport 350 does. Ill bit my 2cents. Ill see if I can find the link.

I guess your gonna reply so feel free.

Sorry for interupting your thread OP

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Seriously none of the things you mention will reduce stopping distance

Go read pulp friction to understand why

"more force" does nothing for you beyond the limits of the tires and even the stock brakes can apply far more force than the tires can handle

Ditto heat capacity since a single panic stop from any legal speed won't come close to overheating even the stock brakes

The things you mention can be useful on a track but not on the street

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

I disagree with your physics argument.

With a larger caliper that has more piston area and larger swept pads and force plus the larger diameter rotor that the caliper can apply more torque, this will increase brake effectiveness thus shorter stopping distances.

Imagine a brake system so weak it never kicks in the abs.

Ideally the brake system should be strong enough to kick in the abs with a good hard pedal jab.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seriously none of the things you mention will reduce stopping distance

Go read pulp friction to understand why

"more force" does nothing for you beyond the limits of the tires and even the stock brakes can apply far more force than the tires can handle

Ditto heat capacity since a single panic stop from any legal speed won't come close to overheating even the stock brakes

The things you mention can be useful on a track but not on the street
Wrong again, assuming all things equal like in your scenario, the same tires, the same road conditions More force to counteract a moving object will stop it faster and in a shorter distance.

You are basically saying an ISF will stop the same as an IS250, or a GS350 will stop the same as a GSF on the street.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts