Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what would be a good brake setup for an everday driver that also sees plenty of autox use. Pads, Rotors, SS lines and fluid suggestions?

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I use brembo blank rotors (only like 55 bucks a piece), hawk HPS brake pads, superblue dot 4 brake fluid, and goodrich SS lines. I have tried a few setups and this seems to work the best, I get very minimal fade at the track and the rotors last about the same time as stock as long as you cool them down after track sessions, and since you only do autox you shouldn't experience much fade at all.

Don't get suckered into all that cross drilled/slotted BS because the temperature difference is minimal, if any, and under extreme conditions the drills/slots can crack and chip away. That is why even the genuine Brembo and Stoptech rotors warn you to not use their drilled/slotted rotors in competition driving conditions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree with everything Zach said, with the exception that slotted rotors do not pose a risk for heavy/competition use.

Now, if you do a lot of 'spirited' driving in reverse, you're going to chew your pads and slotted rotors up.

Cross drilled rotors are a risk because of stress risers, an un-chamfered hole into a metallic surface and cyclic exposure to extreme temperatures makes cracks form and expand.

In conclusion, cross drilled bad, slotted is just fine, and never going to go wrong with blanks.

:cool:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Zach, i would rep ya, but apparently i need to spread the rep around first. ahha.

Yeah, i think I'm going with the suggested setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use Motul DOT 4 fluid, Axxis pads and Stop Tech SS lines (all come together from stoptech as a stage 1 kit). They worked pretty good but I'll be upgrading to their rotors before the next event due to some brake fade at the end of my sessions. Nothing too bad but could be better.

I'm also thinking about trying to make some brake ducts from the front bumper to the rotors to fight some brake fade in the hot FL sun. Though I haven't really looked to see if there is room.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
For that use I've used both stock & StopTech rotors, EBC pads & ATE fluid w/steel braided lines.

Reactions: stuup1dmofo

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I just took Zach's suggestion and got Brembo blanks, Hawk HPS pads, Goodrich SS lines, and Super Racing Blue DOT4 brake fluid. Stopping power is great and there isnt much noise at all. Incredible street setup I must say. Now it's time to test it at an Autocross.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For playing in the parking lot, you'll be fine with slotted rotors, some good pads, SS lines, and quality fluid.
For the real track, get some AP's or a Brembo kit. Stay away from the poseur brake companies.

·
Registered
254 Posts
StopTech Stage II.

It's a great improvment over stock. I'm not a huge fan of the Axxis pads though. Too much dust, really noisy after a while.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
aftermarket slotted(not drilled) rotors, SS lines and id use street pads for daily, and have a designated set of pads for autox(it only takes about 20 minutes to swap all 4 if you have air tools, its worth it)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
For playing in the parking lot, you'll be fine with slotted rotors, some good pads, SS lines, and quality fluid.
For the real track, get some AP's or a Brembo kit. Stay away from the poseur brake companies.
Ask AAR about their "poseur" rotora brakes on thier race car. I was guilty of this too but they raced proved them. Stop tech are on alot of race cars also.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Where did you guys get your brake parts? My rotors are warped and I need to change the pads/flush the brake fluid. Any recommendations on a good place to order this stuff would be appreciated!

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
unless you are seeing heavy road racing scenarios's our stock brake setup is fantastic. like others have said here, just upgrade your pads, lines, and fluid. When you need new rotors, imo slotted are best. We have enough cooling and there are various threads which we have discussed why x-drilled isn't that great.

my current setup:
Stock calipers-came with car, Goodridge SS Lines-Carson Toyota, Endless VN2 Pads-From Endless, SuperBlue ATE Fluid-Super Autobacs, Zinc Coated Brembo 4-Slot Rotors from some shop in LBC. If you're interested let me know and i can try to dig up the contact. The car brakes like a champ. Strong initial bite and easily modulated when needed. Because of the strong initial bite, i would not recommend starting to brake in the turn with this setup, but awesome for trail braking.

I have taken my car touge, autox, and road racing. Only when road racing in the mid afternoon when i was really pushing my car did i start seeing fade. Unless you've got money burning holes in your pocket, save your money and don't buy a BBK system, get better tires instead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ask AAR about their "poseur" rotora brakes on thier race car. I was guilty of this too but they raced proved them. Stop tech are on alot of race cars also.
I agree that the brakes work, but they're simply not on the same level as the other brake companies when it comes to engineering and design.
A major factor for seeing Rotora on the like on "race" cars is that they give parts away free or with discounts. For small teams, that's a big help to the budget. The companies are really just advertising.
AP and Brembo need to be paid for, but are worth every penny.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
I agree that the brakes work, but their simply not on the same level as the other brake companies when it comes to engineering and design.
A major factor for seeing Rotora on the like on "race" cars is that they give parts away free or with discounts. For small teams, that's a big help to the budget. The companies are really just advertising.
AP and Brembo need to be paid for, but are worth every penny.
care to let us know what you're using to base your comments on? reading road&track or SCC doesn't count. :cool:

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
does that tire rack link have the brembo rotors? cause for 55-60 buck a piece thats a great deal! i have used raysbestus and i would like to change cause they warped rather quick. hmmm

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
DriveWire.com - Discount Car Parts and Auto Accessories | Free Shipping

Mountain Rotors - got these for $120 shipped for front two. These are Made in Japan.
Some say that these are OEM rotors that they use on Toyota/Lexus vehicles. I had these for 4weeks so far with Hawk HPS pads and I love the setup. I'm fully broken in, and I also run HPS in the rear. The car has a nice feel to it when you try to do a high speed highway/off-ramp decel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
care to let us know what you're using to base your comments on? reading road&track or SCC doesn't count. :cool:
I only use AP racing brakes. Also a consultant to race teams, and have had many discussions on them taking lesser equipment because it's free.
Do you think race car builders want to use Rotora or StopTech? No way! Money talks.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts