Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm thinking about changing out my stock rotors for some cross drilled, or slotted rotors what do you guys recommend besides the big brake kits? How hard is it to removed the caliper from the rotor??? ( yes I did a search, came up with over 15 pages that didn't answer my question :wink: ) Thanks for any suggestions.......

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
get a set of slotted (6 slots or less) all 4 corners.

make sure you get new pads with them...(my recomendation is endless VN2)

brake swaps are cake. thee are only about 4 bolts on each corner you need to deal with (front). rear i think its just 2.

dont bother with big brake kit. just upgrade stock size and learn to drive well, you'll be fine.

if you are in SoCal i know a good shop that can do it and get the parts for you to boot.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
I did a swap to slotted (Rotora, via Carson Toyota & Ssteve Ganz) rotors and love em.
IMO cross-drilling is just for looks.

As said, you will also want to change your pads.

Changing is labor intensive, but not hard... you'll need a good set of sockets, and a mallet & a breaker bar. Those bolts will be frozen.

There are 2 bolts holding each caliper on, and then 2 more holding each rotor on. It takes some muscle, so be ready to sweat ;)

And be careful if your car is on jackstands...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rotors

How much are the slotted rotors from Carson toyota?? Does anyone have a link to the product, or any available rotor?? I would like to see them. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
you can directly check the www.rotora.com for the products....

From Steve in Carson Toyota, slotted rotors and pads for about $500... hit Steve directly, and tell him Shawn sent ya..... he will hook you up....

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I did my TRD slotted rotors about two months ago along w/changing the brake fluid. The brakes are really "grabby." I kept the OEM pads because they look fine to me.

The OEM brake setup on the IS300 is excellent, they use the GS brake setup which is a much larger and heavier car. I find little to no deficiencies in the OEM setup.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
I find little to no deficiencies in the OEM setup.

r u willing to consider that you are not driving the car hard enough...

really,..... hammer the shit outta these OEM brakes... like driving HARD down a twisty bitchen mountain road, & back up a few times, etc & YOU WILL find them overheating & getting soft & greasy....& STINKY!!!

Better pads alone will DEFINITELY help but going to slotted & drilled discs made a huge difference for me....... the fading & overheating leading to the soft pedal & greasy feel is gone & this is still the case after repeated runs up & down my favorite canyon road.... runs that would have had my stock brakes begging for mercy & fading like Vanilla Ice at the country fair after his gig... fading BIG time from heat soak etc etc....

Not any more...... :D

DONT FORGET.. .if you are upgrading rotors / pads.. .BE SURE to get Stainless Steel braided brake lines also these are a big part of the killer "feel" you want.....

edgy

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I guess I should qualify my statement that for every day driving/commuting, there's nothing wrong with the OEM brakes.

BTW my daily commute involves descending about 3,500 ft of elevation every day. The first 1.2 miles is a narrow and twisty road, but I don't drive it too fast.

Oh yeah...the IS 300 is my wife's car...so no I don't drive it hard every day.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
I guess I should qualify my statement that for every day driving/commuting, there's nothing wrong with the OEM brakes.

that is absolutely correct...... they are more than good for daily everyday commuting & such... even hills & stuff.... no problems unless you are driving them HARD.....

·
Registered
328 Posts
hey ed..whut do u think about the irotors???should i order axxis pads 2??? or where can i get a good deal on ss lines?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I'd still like to know if their are actually OFFICIAL CD+slotted GENUINE Brembo/Bradi rotors for our car(that brembo/bradi actually mills themself)?

·
Registered
328 Posts
thas whut im confused about..their site says that they sell brembo..but when u search the make of the car..it gives their products

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts