Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I'm driving to a stop or needed to brake, I seem to hear a squeaking sound everytime I brake. It sounds like my pads are gone or sounds like metal to metal hissing sound. A month ago I had my 25k check up and my brakes are like 60-70% and thats concidered good. I told the dealership my problem and they say its just the weather that is causing that sound. Well at night its pretty cool around 80 and still making that noise. I was wondering if anybody has an idea. Its always good to have other opinions.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Had the same problem on my rear brakes after I replaced rotors and pads. The spring clips in the rear are likely stretched out. You can remove them and bend the two clips that rest against the rear pads *OUT* towards the center of the rotor. This solved my problem.

If it is in the rear, this is the most likely culprit.

See here if you want to do it yourself.
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=255699

See the pic "After anti-squal clip is loose" (sorry for the crappy spelling). The 'U' shaped spring should not look like it does in the picture to work properly. It should not be parallel to the clip back. They should point away from the back of the clip. Don't bend them too far as if you do, they can break.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
^ thanks man! have been having this "problem" for a bit now, thought my rears were wearing prematurely but from reading this and reading your guide (again) i decided to go have a lookee. i already have my car up on jackstands and my pads don't look anywhere near as worn as the ones you replaced in your guide but my spring was parallel so i bent them back, applied some antisqueel fluid when i was there too. hopefully when i get my wheels back all will be bueno.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
sounds about right, which is why the service manual recommends replacing the springs when you change your pads

·
Registered
1 Posts
rear brakes rattle noise?

hey i have a 2002 is300 5spd and my rear brakes are loose and have a crazy noise. they move when i hit any little bump. it sounds like a rattling noise or like if it was medal with with. took it to a mech and couldnt fix the prob. can anyone help?

·
Banned
1,413 Posts
u sure its your brakes and not your endlinks?

·
Banned
1,413 Posts
hell, even the lower mounts go bad and cause clanking on coilovers( ie STANCE)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts