Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is not stopping well and im not sure what could be wrong. I have replaced the following-
1. Replaced all 4 rotors and all brake pads and brake pad hardware with STOPTECH
2. Replaced Master cylinder and both master cylinder hoses with OEM parts
3. Replaced brake booster check valve, check valve grommet and hose with OEM parts
4. Replaced all 4 brake lines and abs hoses with OEM parts
5. Replaced all 4 calipers with OEM parts
6. Bench bled the new master cylinder, gravity bled all four calipers and then power bled all 4 corners and the abs unit 3 times.
There is a little too much pedal travel, there is a very small leak coming from somewhere because i noticed my fluid level has gone down a little in about 2 weeks, and the car does not stop that well.

Also when i was bleeding the brakes i noticed ALOT of black specks floating in the fluid. Could this be bad seals in the ABS UNIT? Im wondering if the abs unit should be replaced because I have replaced everything else. Car has 135000 miles on it. My guess so far is the ABS seals have gone bad and its not allowing me to engage the brakes fully.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please describe the process used to do this -particularly for the ABS pump.
I hooked up a power bleeder to the master cylinder. I then started the bleeding process in the following order-
1. Passenger rear 2. driver rear 3.passenger front 4. driver front 5. abs block. I then went back and redid it 2 more times in that same order. I followed the factory service manual.

·
Registered
2002 is300
644 Posts
My car is not stopping well and im not sure what could be wrong. I have replaced the following-
1. Replaced all 4 rotors and all brake pads and brake pad hardware with STOPTECH
3. Replaced brake booster check valve, check valve grommet and hose with OEM parts
6. Bench bled the new master cylinder, gravity bled all four calipers and then power bled all 4 corners and the abs unit 3 times.
There is a little too much pedal travel, there is a very small leak coming from somewhere because i noticed my fluid level has gone down a little in about 2 weeks, and the car does not stop that well.

Also when i was bleeding the brakes i noticed ALOT of black specks floating in the fluid. Could this be bad seals in the ABS UNIT? Im wondering if the abs unit should be replaced because I have replaced everything else. Car has 135000 miles on it. My guess so far is the ABS seals have gone bad and its not allowing me to engage the brakes fully.

Did you check lines? Black little specs could be bits of the lines deteriorating. Failing lines can also cause a squishy pedal. Define not stopping well.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I hooked up a power bleeder to the master cylinder. I then started the bleeding process in the following order-
1. Passenger rear 2. driver rear 3.passenger front 4. driver front 5. abs block. I then went back and redid it 2 more times in that same order. I followed the factory service manual.
I believe you need 15psi or more to overcome the valves in the ABS pump and force-bleed fluid thru it. This is usually done by modifying a master cylinder cap so you can apply 15-20psi shop air to the fluid.

If your "power bleeder" didn't or can't do that, you prolly didn't truly bleed the ABS pump.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe you need 15psi or more to overcome the valves in the ABS pump and force-bleed fluid thru it. This is usually done by modifying a master cylinder cap so you can apply 15-20psi shop air to the fluid.

If your "power bleeder" didn't or can't do that, you prolly didn't truly bleed the ABS pump.
Yeah im aware of that, its 14psi and i pressurized it to about 15psi. There is a gauge on my power bleeder.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know if it could be the seals in the abs module going bad and that is why my brakes aren't working good? Also maybe the black specks in the fluid are the seals in the abs module going bad?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Even if the abs system failed. You would still have brakes. Sounds like you need to flush the entire system and start over. It could of even been trash left in the rebuilt parts.
I have done that already. 3 times to be exact. Also these are not rebuilt parts, they are brand new parts bought from the lexus dealership.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts