Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which brake pad will work the best on stock rotors? I heard that TRD pads are awesome. Any other brands that are worth considering?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
your not supposed to change rotors and pads at same time....

is it okay to change aftermarket rotors and aftermarket pads same time....or same as "rule of thumb OEM".......?

i know pads come first...then rotors.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
if you like the hawk pads but don't like the way they tear up rotors, a shop i recently visited who has a speedvision GT race team said they are going to start using a pad they started using at the track, i believe the name of the pad was "cobalt" he said they stop just as good as teh hawk pads but don't eat rotors.

example being on the same track stretches and smae rotors, hawk pads would eat rotors in one race, where as with the cobalts the rotors lasted 3 races, thats a significant improvement for nearly no loss in performance.

they are competatively priced as well

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
somguy2u said:
if you like the hawk pads but don't like the way they tear up rotors, a shop i recently visited who has a speedvision GT race team said they are going to start using a pad they started using at the track, i believe the name of the pad was "cobalt" he said they stop just as good as teh hawk pads but don't eat rotors.

example being on the same track stretches and smae rotors, hawk pads would eat rotors in one race, where as with the cobalts the rotors lasted 3 races, thats a significant improvement for nearly no loss in performance.

they are competatively priced as well
but almost everyone in this thread has no intent to take the car to the track

i'm not sure about these(you know more then alikhan), but don't those pads needs to heat up to get to their braking power....pads don't usually heat up in city driving...and wouldn't they go threw rotors often?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've spoken with cobalt about making an application for our car. Unless they can produce at least 40 it won't be worth their while.
For a more aggressive street pad, I would look at the porterfield r4s, EBC, or axxis lineups.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
Dave said:
I've spoken with cobalt about making an application for our car. Unless they can produce at least 40 it won't be worth their while.
really? i didn't know that much about it, i just heard a great review with a real performance application to back the review up. he said he could get them for about $130 a set, not to bad. he didn't know about applications though, and nor did I.

Hawks are decently streetable, and my gues is the cobalts would have a streetable pad if not the racing pad would be streetable. hawk does both pure track and steet pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.