Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought rotors from a friend and he gave me PRB (axxis) brake pads for free wanted to know should I try to intall this or just buy a new brake pads and wat you guys recommed from Hawk, Stoptech, Akebono ?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
OEM brakes = OEM pads; they work good.

·
Premium Member
23,141 Posts
Hawk HPS. Fantastic initial bite, excellent resistance to fade, good life ( I have 40,000 HARD miles on them and theyre still going good), low noise, relatively low dust (for a performance pad)

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Are Hawk HPS pads offered for the rear?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got that steering wheel shimmy when breaking at about 70k miles. Pads still had a lot of life left. So I got the Powerslot Cyro rotors and some new OEM pads. Again, at around 140k miles i got steering wheel shimmy when braking again and pads still have a good amount left. My research suggests that the shimmy is caused by brake material buildup on the surface of the rotor and not necessairly warping. I love the feel and stopping power of the OEM pads. I want to get the full life of my pads without the shimmy. Can anyone recommend some pads that can give the same or better feel and performance without the buildup on the rotors?

·
Registered
6,324 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
i thought i was the trail braker.... at night ive had the HPS cool on me on a straight. if i was a late braker like yourself, i might have to do some counter steering :D so as always; mind your brake pads and the conditions you are in. you cant knock the HPS for fade and initial bite tho. i think its more a 7/3 when it comes to track/autocross/day runner vs all around daily/night runner pad. i prefer a 6/4 pad. R4-S fits the bill. my belief is that if a pad compromises that much, you are better off swapping a daily pad and a track pad.

then again this could be all thrown out the window with the heavier IS300. the lighter corolla will barely put the R4-S to their limits.

cant wait to put the new IS through its paces :p brakes are always tricky.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I only trail brake in wet weather. As for countersteer, that is always factored in. I agree with you 100% on the porterfields, they are a good all around pad but in the heavy jce it just won't cut it unless it's the R4. The ae is a different story, but i have experienced some minor fade during summer runs. Hence I would rather adjust to the pads, than the pads adjusting on me. Just a rule of thumb i follow and me being lazy switching out to proper pads hehehe. I am still working on the magic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.