Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After driving the car for 6 months or so, the brakes from the front passenger side has started to make grinding/clunking noises when braking from low speeds when I'm making a complete stop. This only happens with light pressure on the brake pedal from speeds of 10->0 mph or a downhill slope, it sounds like something is grinding on the rotor every full revolution the wheel makes. At high speeds, the brakes work like they should, no griding noise whatsoever. I've let the car roll in neutral to a dead stop w/o applying the brakes and there is no griding noise either.

SO, my guess was it has to be somethign with the brakes. After taking apart the caliper and inspecting the pads and rotor, everything looks fine. The pads do not have any play/space to shift when the brakes are applied. There's plenty of life on the pads and the rotor/ pads show no signs of uneven wear or stress.

I figured maybe the pads were sticking to the rotor, so I bent the anti-squel spring out some to give the springs a little more power to push the pads out after releasing the brake pedal, hoping that maybe the spring didn't have as much flex after years of use.

NOTE: After bending the anti-squel springs out some and reinstalling everything with some Brake Quiet for the shims, the noise stopped for approximately 150 miles in regular city stop and go traffic or so, then today it returned :(

Is it possible the brake piston is not seating correctly when the brakes are applied or something? or could it be that my anti-squel springs/brackets are worn out? or could it simply be that the pads are floating unevenly on the rotor?

I'm gonna take a look at it again tonight. I'll keep you guys updated. I honestly think Lexus/toyota should've designed a better/stronger anti-squeal spring design, cause it looks and feels like a paper clip bent into a V.

I know this has been discussed before, I've searched.

I just have to complain cause its annoying :\

·
Registered
160 Posts
keep us posted, I have the same problem. the grinding noise came from the passenger side, and it seems like there is a high spot on the rotor. I have replaced rotor/brake pad 3 times in a year already and took the car to the dealership but nothing solve the problem. The tech can't find out the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After driving the car for 6 months or so, the brakes from the front passenger side has started to make grinding/clunking noises when braking from low speeds when I'm making a complete stop. This only happens with light pressure on the brake pedal from speeds of 10->0 mph or a downhill slope, it sounds like something is grinding on the rotor every full revolution the wheel makes. At high speeds, the brakes work like they should, no griding noise whatsoever. I've let the car roll in neutral to a dead stop w/o applying the brakes and there is no griding noise either.

SO, my guess was it has to be somethign with the brakes. After taking apart the caliper and inspecting the pads and rotor, everything looks fine. The pads do not have any play/space to shift when the brakes are applied. There's plenty of life on the pads and the rotor/ pads show no signs of uneven wear or stress.

I figured maybe the pads were sticking to the rotor, so I bent the anti-squel spring out some to give the springs a little more power to push the pads out after releasing the brake pedal, hoping that maybe the spring didn't have as much flex after years of use.

NOTE: After bending the anti-squel springs out some and reinstalling everything with some Brake Quiet for the shims, the noise stopped for approximately 150 miles in regular city stop and go traffic or so, then today it returned :(

Is it possible the brake piston is not seating correctly when the brakes are applied or something? or could it be that my anti-squel springs/brackets are worn out? or could it simply be that the pads are floating unevenly on the rotor?

I'm gonna take a look at it again tonight. I'll keep you guys updated. I honestly think Lexus/toyota should've designed a better/stronger anti-squeal spring design, cause it looks and feels like a paper clip bent into a V.

I know this has been discussed before, I've searched.

I just have to complain cause its annoying :\
Wheel bareings do that same sort of thing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts