Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the "Brake Clunk" issue for the looooongest time but think I accidentally stumbled upon the fix? FINALLY NO CLUNKING!!!!

If any of you have the "Brake Clunk" issue, please see if this fix works for you, too.

I replaced all my brake pads last weekend and did something that I normally don't do... I used a steel brush and cleaned off the brake dust grime and thin film of rust on the retaining clips for the brake pads. I did everything else the exact way I usually do brake jobs.

I didn't notice that it was silenced until later on that day when I backed my car into my usual parking spot. I was waiting to hear the "Clunk" but I didn't hear it! I went forward and reverse about 3 times just to see if it was a coincidence but... It was gone! Wooohooo!

If it is the fix... maybe the grime and rust was hanging up the pads and not allowing them to freely move laterally? I dunno, but heck, I'm happy that the "Clunking" is gonzo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've researched this inside and out. Ball joints are fine, caliper pins are okay. Everything looks good except for a torn dust cover on the driver side strut and this... Lexus IS300 driver disc brake. - YouTube . Is this normal? I've changed rotors on other cars and the rotor were bolted to the hub. The passenger side rotor has no play at all. Could this be the problem?

·
Registered
99 Posts
hmm ill have to try this. This bugs the crap out of me. I have 3 toyotas and this is the only one that clunks or clacks so loud, it cant be good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts