Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just wonderin .... for the guys (and gals) that have dropped their rides... is it bouncy? (You know like how them old hooptie corollas bounce over bumps?)

·
Registered
323 Posts
the car ride is VERY smmoth, almost stock. very good subtle ride for a lowered car. for all you "STOCK IS BEST", dont even reply.

mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
...a mild drop say 1" to say 1.25" shouldn't adversly affect the ride quality of the IS3. Now if you plan "slamming" (2"+) your IS3 you'll more than likely be in for a rough ride. StockIS3 could I interest you in some 19" or 20" blinged out dubs?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I hate to tell you "Kids" this.
But ANYTHING you do to the SUSPENSION will effect the RIDE in a NEGATIVE WAY...
Also, hate to tell you some of you , but changing the Springs on this car WILL EFFECT the WARRANTY...
The Rear Camber is effected enough to where the Rear Axles are entering the Differential at angle "NOT DESIGNED FOR" thus can cause
abnormal wear to Gearing....

This STRAIGHT from LEXUS GM.
So some of you "Kids" are SCREWING yourselves and don't even know it!

NOW YOU DO....

·
Registered
571 Posts
but then there's some of us who want better handling (tein or TRD(?) coilovers). To think about it, not all lowering springs void warranty. TRD springs for toyota and comptech springs for Acura don't void the warranty.

1.5'' inches doesn't hurt. Doesn't our car get lowered that much anyway when we have hella fat people riding with us?

·
Registered
323 Posts
stockIS3: get the broomstick out of your arse please. i really wish you didnt get an IS because that's one less IS out there for someone to truly appreciate and enjoy. wish you bought your daewoo leganza or something. oh wait, i forgot. im sorry. let me take off my springs so i wont look riced out. im sorry to have disturbed you. i wont do it again. consider my car stock by the end of the day. anything for you since you are the grand emperor.

mike

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
StockIS3... dont you think I know these things you goof? Don't you think the Lexus GM will tell you whatever it takes for them to keep you crawling back to the dealerships for service and $81 an hour. Dealers are afraid you will figure their game out. Dont you think that driving with 3 adult passengers in your backseat lowers your IS way beyond a spring setup? So what you saying... let me get this one right.... having three passengers will lower your ride in the rear and thus producing that nasty diff/axle entry angle? What country club did you come from? Geez man get your tech data straight before you come to this forum. It not like tryin to put the axles on top of the trunk? :0 Do you even have an IS?

Acuracing.. Where did this guy come from?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally posted by rarjoon:
StockIS3... dont you think I know these things you goof? Don't you think the Lexus GM will tell you whatever it takes for them to keep you crawling back to the dealerships for service and $81 an hour. Dealers are afraid you will figure their game out. Dont you think that driving with 3 adult passengers in your backseat lowers your IS way beyond a spring setup? So what you saying... let me get this one right.... having three passengers will lower your ride in the rear and thus producing that nasty diff/axle entry angle? What country club did you come from? Geez man get your tech data straight before you come to this forum. It not like tryin to put the axles on top of the trunk? :0 Do you even have an IS?

Acuracing.. Where did this guy come from?
Listen "Kid", where I came from is irrelevant

And as far as comparing having Three Adults in the Back Seat to "PERMANTLY ALTERING the rear CAMBER........ Laugh Out Loud!!!
Will you have those Three Adults with you 24/7?? No I don't think so.
When you Alter the Suspension its permanent.
Don't get mad at me, Im just trying to educating some of you "Kids".
You people better learn to READ!!!
Its a little different in Ruining the Warranty of a 17k car vs a 36k car....
Believe Me........

I could care LESS if you Void your Warranty.

·
Registered
323 Posts
as far as warranty, i dont really care since i will most likely sell my car next year, and hopefully the "chump" that buys my car will somehow be related to you. this car is for fun, and fun is what im looking for. im going to do whatever the hell i want to it without giving a flying fuhk who cares. i dont bag on your IS because you keep it stock. its just your attitude that makes me hate having fellow owners such as yourself. i thought this was an enthusiast's forum, not a prissy boy's forum. when i graduate college next year, the hell with the IS, bring on the 911 turbo or the 360. and one more thing, i dont really mind being called a "kid". i'm just a "kid" that has what you have at a very young age. dont hate me and the other "kids" out there because we know what to do with our lives instead of dealing with our mid-life crisis. you should be worrying more about rogaine than keeping your car stock. tell all the japanese tuners out there that their camber is messing with their gears. i want a response from someone who knows cars, unlike you and the Lexus GM you spoke to. how the hell is a GM gonna know about camber? ask someone in service or who has been working on toyotas. the rear is very similar to the GS suspension and the supra. go flame those owners too.

mike

rarjoon: i dont know where he came from. lets just leave him alone to play with himself.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Let me say it first, I am not here to offend or defend anyone, but I have to say something regarding these suspension stuff.
First of all, I don't like lowering cars and I don't think I would ever do it, but I will also never go tell people not to do it as long as they do it with taste.
Second, a suspension upgrade done by your local Lexus dealer will not void your warranty. That is that the TRD parts are for, they are designed to work with Toyota/Lexus cars without imposing too much negative effect on it.
Third, dropping the car by 1 to 2 inches will not hurt your drivetrain at all. Think about it, that is less than 5 degree of change. This is what CV joints are for, they are meant to tolerate at least 30 to 40 degree of bending without damaging the stuff they are connecting to. It is the CV joint that is going into the differential, not your drive shaft, so dropping a car does not affect that at all. If you don't believe me, get underneath the car and look at the input of the differential before and after the car has been lowered.
I think if you are enhancing the suspension by upgrading it to a coil over or a well designed kit, then it is perfectly ok. But please don't decide to cut springs and be cheap about it, because it will make the car look bad and it will definitely kill your suspension very quickly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Originally posted by acuracing:
as far as warranty, i dont really care since i will most likely sell my car next year, and hopefully the "chump" that buys my car will somehow be related to you. this car is for fun, and fun is what im looking for. im going to do whatever the hell i want to it without giving a flying fuhk who cares. i dont bag on your IS because you keep it stock. its just your attitude that makes me hate having fellow owners such as yourself. i thought this was an enthusiast's forum, not a prissy boy's forum. when i graduate college next year, the hell with the IS, bring on the 911 turbo or the 360. and one more thing, i dont really mind being called a "kid". i'm just a "kid" that has what you have at a very young age. dont hate me and the other "kids" out there because we know what to do with our lives instead of dealing with our mid-life crisis. you should be worrying more about rogaine than keeping your car stock. tell all the japanese tuners out there that their camber is messing with their gears. i want a response from someone who knows cars, unlike you and the Lexus GM you spoke to. how the hell is a GM gonna know about camber? ask someone in service or who has been working on toyotas. the rear is very similar to the GS suspension and the supra. go flame those owners too.

mike

rarjoon: i dont know where he came from. lets just leave him alone to play with himself.
Sure, you Proved my CASE. Ruin the Car and then dump it on some poor soul.....

And the statement that "You Have What I Have At A Young Age" is a Joke school boy...
Some of you kids sure are ****y these days.
You need to learn some RESPECT!!!!
The fact that you think Owning the same car as I puts you Economically Equal to me at my
"MID-LIFE age is proof of your IGNORANCE....
Go Play with your car......
And bTw , I thought there was a Forum for Mods and Suspensions.....
Go USE IT!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
stockis3, all i've really seen coming from you is crap, and btw, some young people bought this car with thier own money...and a little fyi, it will AFFECT negative camber, not EFFECT it....feels good being corrected by a teenager doesn't it? and some more fyi, springs/struts will only affect the car in a negative way IF it is not properly installed or if they did something stupid like cutting the springs, lowering the car will normally increase the car's handling if done properly with te right parts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
StockIS3...what you do with your car is fine and what everyone else does with their's is their perogative. Now if I remember correctly opinion was a subjective thing. If you don't like a modified car then don't modify it. The person who started this thread was asking if the ride was adversely affected.......Lastly even though i'm leasing my car it's lowered and my own salesmen gave me the approval to do so as long as it's back to stock at the end of the lease

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have had some fun reading this thread. I go bothered with the one comment by Acuracing. In your last post you have a rather upsetting attitude. Stating you don't care about the warranty and that you will dump the car in a year and when you graduate college the hell with the IS.

I hope that you were just venting to StockIs and that you appreciate the life you have been given. I know this is going to sound like preaching. What you do with your car is your business and no one elses. Just remember there are kids, guys whatever you want to call them out there that would cut off their left leg to just be able to go to college, let alone have a car like the IS300. Just appreciate the fact that you have been given a life that affords you the opportunties that you have been given and do not take the attitude that you will piss this car away and screw someone in the process. You seam like a rather smart young man, and I am sure that you are just upset at what is being posted.

I am 34, and do not consider myself going through a mid-life crisis. I just loved the car and have the ability to obtain it. I thank god for that everyday.

Have fun with your car, be respectful of others and do well with what you have. Remember what comes around goes around.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Back to the first question. Does the car get bouncy? I have changed my springs to Bestex. They are about 50% harder than stock springs.

And by the way, I changed my springs, but my primary reason was to get BETTER HANDLING AT HIGHER SPEEDS. Lowered look was a by-product. (1.5 inches lower by the way)

Due to harder springs, it bounces more than stock(of course) at lower speeds. But during higher speeds, the stability has increased and during hard cornering, body roll has decreased. Now I can go through a curve much faster than I was able to with my stock springs.

Unless its for drag racing, lowered springs usually means harder springs. Your driving comfort (at low speeds) will be sacrificed. But there are always something gained. Its up to you to decide. Better all-round comfort or better handling during extremes.

[This message has been edited by Altezza (edited September 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the way to all those whose believe I am a "kid" Im a 26 year old IT Director for a NY advertising firm. So $$$ aint a thing. You can put that in your pipe and smoke it. If i wanted a Civic Si .. I think I would have bought a Civic Si. Just because the IS is labeled a "Lexus" in the US dont forget that in actuality it is a Toyota "Japan car of the year" Altezza. Which is meant to have kick a$$ performance and a crazy aftermarket following. Check out the video clip of the Black Altezza on the track. Thats what the car is all about, whether you wanna believe it or not. That my two cents for today.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Rarjoon, congrats on your position. I am happy for you. I never thought you were a kid. To me we are all IS owners and enjoying are cars the way we want.

I love this car and it does not matter to me what anyone does to it. That is personal taste which is why we all express ourselves in our own way.

How do you like living in New York? Are you from their?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
12 Participants
Altezza
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing