Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Samsung 171P 17" LCD monitor with DVI/Analog outputs.

I also have a Viewsonic PC790 Professional Series 19" CRT monitor running at 1024x768 resolution @ 100 kHz.

Here's the situation.

I joyfully plugged in the new LCD into my GeForce 4 Ti4600's DVI port and fired up the system. 1280 x 1024 resolution @ 75 kHz.

First, the good: Simply AWESOME image and color quality on this LCD, to say the least. One of, if not the best I've seen.

Now, the bad, and the reason for this post: I am experienceing MORE, and significant eyestrain using the LCD than I was using the 19" Viewsonic CRT.

I've tried adjusting brightness, contrast, and gamma on the LCD. No good.

I've tried adjusting the room's ambient lighting. No good.

I thought LCD monitors in general are supposed to reduce eyestrain? Or at the very least, not make it worse?

What's going on here?

Any suggestions on what I can do would be most appreciated. This is simply an awesome monitor, and I don't want to have to return it (15% restocking fee too, for that matter -_-), or sell it, but I may be forced to if no one can help. I'm not going to keep using it if it's going to make me go blind.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
LCD's dont have refreshrates, as far as i can remember... (so u might wanna push up the setting in your video card?)
LCD and image quality dont go together, the only thing LCD is good is that its compact. (im not saying its bad, but CRT gives better image quality)

oh, how about sacrificing the resolution? LCD's suck at dealing w/ high res.

samsung makes nice LCD's w/ good price-performance ratio. my sister has one w/ built in TV. its cool

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Get a massive Sony CRT, something with a GDM in the model number and your eyeballs will be happy. There is something about that Aperture Grill technology that just rocks. Get a bigger desk.

Take that POS Samsung back and be glad you only took a 15% hit on the thing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Re: Bought an LCD - giving me horrible eyestrain - suggestio

stealth said:
Any suggestions on what I can do would be most appreciated.
Have you fiddled with the phase and pitch adjustments? You may have to refer to the monitor's documentation and software in order to adjust this correctly.

LCD Pros:

* desktop compactness
* power savings
* geometric perfection (none of the trapezoid, rhomboid, pincushion, tilt, etc. adjustments needed)
* better pixel definition (but only at their native resolution, with correct phase and pitch adjustments)

LCD Cons:

* limited viewing angle
* less contrast
* inferior color reproduction
* slow pixel response
* fragile screen
* price (relative)

What are you trying to do with this LCD? LCD's are great for writing, surfing, and other office work, but they're not very good at all for games. They just respond too slowly, although that's gotten better and will get better with every new generation.

(Sorry if this all obvious; I'm just not assuming that.)

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
oneeyejack said:
CRB said:
Take that POS Samsung back and be glad you only took a 15% hit on the thing.
obiously you know NOTHING about samsung lcd screens! :roll:
Sorry you missed the sarcasm there oneeye. In the future, I will put an eyeroll emoticon in there to avoid any confusion.

Samsung makes some ot the best LCD displays on the market. In fact, they make the only twenty-four inch widescreen that I know of. My point was simply, if the display is causing eyestrain then take it back while you still can.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a 22" LCD running 1600*1024 and have no eye strain what so ever. I have the Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4600 card as well. I also use it for games and haven't had any problems with it not being able to keep up. I would advise to lower the resolution down some. You lost two inch from the 19" CRT to the 17" LCD and you jacked up your resolution alot. Lower to 1024*768 or 1152*864. What is more than likely happening is you are squinting to have to see those small ass icons and fonts. Try that and see what happens.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The LCD's for web browsing, etc. No gaming. I still have the 19" CRT connected in a dual monitor setup for that :)

I lowered the resolution to 1024x768 @ 85hZ and that seems to be helping a bit. Doesn't not running the LCD's native resolution cause it to burn out faster though? (native resolution is 1280x1024 @ 60hZ)?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
stealth said:
The LCD's for web browsing, etc. No gaming. I still have the 19" CRT connected in a dual monitor setup for that :)

I lowered the resolution to 1024x768 @ 85hZ and that seems to be helping a bit. Doesn't not running the LCD's native resolution cause it to burn out faster though? (native resolution is 1280x1024 @ 60hZ)?
LCD's just get fuzzy in non-native resolution, it doesn't short panel life as far as I know. Usually it is the backlight that goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
CRB
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing