Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I replaced my ostrams with phillips OEM 4300k D2R's, and I get high beamed all the time now haha.. Those bulbs do get old and lose output!! and honestly 6k+ look silly, and out of place.. good call.
Yeah I definitely just want a clean car, no ghetto riced out ricky racer crap. Maybe in a while when I can talk the wife into letting me bought some goods ill get a nice pair of 18's and a coilover kit.

I need to buy some more sand paper and refinish the headlights. I used the turtle wax headlight kit a few times and they cleaned up but the pads wore out quickly.

Last time I fixed up a toyota I was like 19. I tried to keep my 02 corolla as clean as possible.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1479/3321/3696660006_large.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1479/3321/3696660002_large.jpg

trd body kit, converted jic coilovers, X bar, strut bar, sway bars, I changed the interior from gray to black. all sorts of goofy crap. even made my own door inserts, installed power door locks, indash monitor, full cat back and an engine bay you could eat off of. I miss that old beater

·
Registered
387 Posts
welcome to the club!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Ill have to take some pics next time I wash it, we have so much salt everywhere it gets dirty in one drive to work.

What kind of mpg is everyone getting, i know the IS is heavy and the 2jz are a little piggish.

My first tank was all city, 20.3mpg
2nd tank, about 100 miles hw, 185 or so city only and I got 23.1 mpg

I keep it under 2500rpm 95% of the time and only occasional heavy throttle blasts. I went from a dodge ram 1500 to this so i'm used to babying it to save gas.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I get slightly better mileage than you (@ around 24-25mpg), but my daily commute consists of 90% freeway, so I keep the cruise control on most of the time.

Stay way from regular 87 octane gas if you can. It'll drop your mileage from ~23mpg to less than 20.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I get slightly better mileage than you (@ around 24-25mpg), but my daily commute consists of 90% freeway, so I keep the cruise control on most of the time.

Stay way from regular 87 octane gas if you can. It'll drop your mileage from ~23mpg to less than 20.
Yep i'm running 91 (highest around here). I see your in long beach, i lived there for a while, I was off of 7th street and the 22

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Just swapped out another two quarts of Type 4 in the trans pan. My PS is looking nice and red, i'll swap out another quart this weekend.

The tranny is nearly CVT smooth under normal driving. I feel like the IS has the same problem my LS had with either the tranny mount or with the drive shaft when it will 'clunk' into gear from P or N.

Edit: I guess that clunking is the floating calipers when taking on the load from a cold P or N to D or R.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah I know I need to put up some pics. I'll try to this weekend. Im a network engineer so I work about 50000 hours a week :) No time for anything.

I just read a bunch on swapping in an Astrio 2jzgte vvti, I see them around for 2500-3000, that seems pretty promising. Probably a motor swap is doable for under 5k. Although I think my 2jz has alot of life left ... maybe something for a project down the road.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
only 2 quarts of ATF T-type 4 left to swap out, that will make it an even 10 quarts mixed in/out. It shifts much better and definitely feels nicer when under 3rd or 4th gear acceleration on the freeway.

The power steering fluid is pretty red now and not so yellow.

Next on my agenda is the diff fluid and probably new brake pads.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts