Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i bet this is a repost or someone has asked this question before, but i just cant find the exact thread on this. I have a simple question could some of you guys tell me if its worth boosting an 01 is300? And what kind of benefits are there to boosting an auto versus stick? and how much power would i be getting with auto instead of stick. thanks alot.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Um personally I was debating about it and decided NA for my personal issues, but um I think it's worth boosting auto or stick. I mean, e-shift is sweet as hell as long as you have a piggyback for your e-manage so it's actually you controlling the car and not Lexus crappy computer system. I think it's worth it, but there aren't really any advantages I guess other than the more likely change your tranny won't get really messed up from it. Um, it really depends on your kit how much power you get but it ranges from 295hp to 700hp.

It's really dependent on how much you invest into it. I'll probably testify that the Toyomoto Supercharger Stage 1 is the most reliable with e-shift to my knowledge.

Just my $.02, hope they helped.

sISp

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
well, depends on what kinda power your lookn' for.
...but...
i would say that you do have some benefits.

1.) 2001 and real early 2002 model IS300s have stronger internals (not 100% sure, but thats what I hear).

2.) The Automatic Tranny is stronger than the 5-speed. You do have to rebuild the Tranny (VB upgrade, tranny cooler, etc...), but it will be worth it and cheaper than doing a 6-speed swap.

3.) Automatic IS300s are going to be faster in 1/4 mile. The nice thing about these Automatics is that you can change shift points and you never have to leave "boost". With a manual you have to take your foot off the gas to use the clutch and then shift and then back into the gas. so when you do that, you go out of "boost" and then back in. with the automatic, you just mash the gas and go. I am seeing some stage 1 IS300s run some pretty low numbers with automatics because of it.

just some things to think about.

i would reccomend: www.turboeast.com

hope i helped.

·
Registered
287 Posts
JayMarino answered most of your questions...
I have always been the kind of person that loves a manual transmission... I used to dog autos all day long...
I have a boosted 01...
Once I was boosted with stage 2+ setup... The trans would not shift...
Took the car to Toyomoto... Had a VB upgrade done... The trans shifted hard, but repeatedly shifted everytime I stepped on it.

I recently went for more power... I had PFS do the auto race trans build... and a Precision Torque convertor. Now, with my raised rev limiter etc etc... The car shifts firmly and everytime it is at WOT... The car shifts instantly at 7300rpm. I would gladly challenge a manual owner... Becuase I don't ever have to worry about missing a shift, don't ever have to worry about timing the shift and as Jaymarino stated, the car doesn't leave boost between shifts.

The downsides to the auto are:
More parasitic power loss than a manual
Valve Body upgrade is almost a requirement to boosting
Trans cooler is strongly recommended
A race build is recommended above 450RWHP, some auto trans break well below that number and some hold 550+ without a race build...Sprags are the big weak link

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
(don't mean to thread jack, but nobody is posting here anyway because its been covered over and over)
1yellowturbois, have you been to the track with your car?
What kinda ETs are you lookn' at?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
When you say the trans shifts hard.. does this mean like there is a jerk everytime you do? Is this anoying on an every day basis, or just happens when you really get on it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts