Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from reading here and there and querring the forum database, I know that the 2JZGTE is used a lot, as a stock replacement for the IS300, everything bolts up without any problem at all.
Now my question is, why stop there, why not got an entire longblock, with the stock twins on it, and you can even get the 2JZGTE VVTi, which also came in the sc300 -
So what gives? Why is no-one doing this? Is the swap that hard? I wouldn't think so, if the tranny bolts up, and the motor mounts line-up, then you're all set! From there the uncut harness can be re-routed to go on the right hand side, instead of left, of the car and use the 2JZGTE VVTi ecu - Done!! I know that for e-check purpose, you render your obd2 scan impossible, but then you end up with a stock twin turbo setup?

Am I jumping ahead too far? Does e-shift not work anymore after this engine swap (hence not seen yet)?? I need input on why/why not do it? I can get my hands on a longblock for pretty cheap, so this has been really itching me for a little bit :)
Thanks.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The SC300 did not come with a 2JZ-GTE motor in any form, it came with the GE motor like the IS300.

The VVTi 2JZ-GTE motors showed up in the last Supras imported over here, but continued being used over in Japan till (2000 I think?). Not many people have done GTE swaps into their cars because it IS hard. The wiring would be the first and biggest nightmare to deal with. Its bad enough in the SC300, but atleast you can buy a book telling you how to do it in that car. No such book exists for the IS300. The GTE swaps that I have seen done used Aristo clips and trannys and they did actually have the E-shift working properly.

If you want "cheap" boost, get a kit. And there is no such thing as cheap boost :)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha.. yeah I had the aristo v300 in mind, but for some reason typed sc300... Well what I'm still trying to grasp, is the wiring nightmare everyone is talking about, and here is why.
I know that a full 2JZGTE swap is hard, mainly when mounting the tranny in place, and running the different wires to get the speedo to work and whatnot - But if you do a longblock only(engine w/o trans) the main wiring is the engine wiring which is going to the ecu - Now if I get the '00 supra ecu with my '00 longblock and wiring, everything plugs in. The only I know I will have to wire in is probably to blend the harness in the engine bay where it controls misc parts, and inside the car, to the dash harness - e-shift is controlled by a seperate computer, so I wouldn't have to worry about that, correct?
I know I can have both wiring diagrams for both the supra and IS, so I'm looking at spending some time on re-wiring 30 wires at the most? Or am-I missing something crutial here that would inflict the pain in the arse that wiring can be?

Thanks

ps: I mean if people do the 1jz swap, they must be finding themselves against similar wiring - except the 2JZ would have more plug and play stuff.. no?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts