Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I got some mail yesterday saying i need to have emissions test done in a couple months. What do you boosted guys do to pass emissions? Any of you guys know of a place or refer me to a place to pass me ;)

Please let me know. PM me if you have any info. Thanks

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hey guys. I got some mail yesterday saying i need to have emissions test done in a couple months. What do you boosted guys do to pass emissions? Any of you guys know of a place or refer me to a place to pass me ;)

Please let me know. PM me if you have any info. Thanks
where are you located i might be able to help you...

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I wonder if you would pass if you were to put your stock headers on. The SC won't be producing a lot of boost at the engine speeds they test, might be worth a try.

If it fails, you can always get a conditional pass thats good for two years, not sure how much it is. By the time your conditional pass runs out you may no longer have the car.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Jahn just install hi flow cats,If you need a shop PM me.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I do have a high flow cat on the y-pipe but no primary cats on the headers, since I'm no longer on the OEM exhaust manifold, nor do I even still have it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you have Hi flow cat,I would try and see if your car will pass.

·
Registered
962 Posts
see if you can find a shop that will do an "idle test".

they do these usually for 4WD/AWD vehicles, since they don't have 4 wheel dynos.

so they run the test with the car in neutral/park and they test from there.

my buddy is running a boosted 350z and he's in the same situation, with an e-test soon. let me see if i can get some info.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats a great question lol.

I think we are similar to cali inspections? Sniffer test and visual inspection? Anyone care to chime in?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good to know. Any other specifics? Emissions last were done by the dealership when I bought the car, so I'm not familiar at all with the procedure of emissions testing.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also other member have reported if you don't have the stock exhaust manifold you will fail. Those were US members by the way.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Having a boosted car is fine to pass emissions , lots of people do it all the time.
As long as your cats are working you will have no problem. I passed a car once burning oil to the point the back end was all back . I threw a cat on and went for a drive to get the emissions and it passed perfectly after 3 prior failures.
Besides if it fails a retest is only $20 who cares about failing , then you know what to do to get your specific car right. Otherwise the car needs to be registered as a hybrid to forgo the emissions test data but will still need a curb idle test.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I only have 1 high flow cat on my y-pipe and if are emissions testing is similar to cali's than I will fail.

People have reported passing emissions with without the y-pipe cat, but not without the primary cats on the header.

Is anyone familiar with the testing procedure? Care to fill me in? Like the requirements to pass and what not?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Jahn bring it to lexus I am willing to bet they won't fail you.don't mention anything about being boosted.my old IS300 had 2 e-test's I had SRT,headers straight exhaust and passed both times and with ease as well.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It's a sniffer test for whoever asked. I fail to see how a car with no cats, etc will pass an e-test with ease, since my catted car failed by over double the first time around. They measure parts per million of Co2 and Nox for sure and possibly other things. A conditional pass is only issued if you pay the repair cost limit which of $450 to an accredited shop for emissions related repairs, which pretty much will not apply to you since you are outright missing emissions equipment. If none of the suggestions above t work send me a PM and I'll get you setup.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I know of a place ehm ehm, North of Toronto, just need to make a call. It will cost you though:rebel: Just PM me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts