Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that in every magazine that is see a boosted IS300 in that 99% of the time it's an auto. What is up with this? Is it because the manuals are harder to get? Is it because the auto can handle a good amount of power without spending too much on it? Is it because you guys can't figure out how to shift:rolleyes:? Or is it:confused: Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
You kind of answered your own questions there except for the shifting part.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well yeah but I just don't get it. Would you rather have a manual if you had the money to beef it up?? Please explain in more detail. It keeps me up at night.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Of course I'd rather have the manual, but stock for stock the automagic can handle a little more rwhp. Autos are much more common as well, there's a thread floating around about the auto to standard ratio.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MrGregski what kind of upgrades do you need to do for the manual? Isn't there like a MKIII swap or something you can do? Any idea on price. I'm trying to start putting money aside/collecting parts to go BOOST.

·
Registered
650 Posts
if i'm not mistaken someone said about "5-7 percent are manuals"

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
With the manuals, if you had wanted boost, you'd have to upgrade A LOT of things to support more than 350HP and up. Atleast from what I have heard. Don't know much about boost yet, but I know that when I get there, I want something that has plenty of power but, not enough for me to have to upgrade to something more extensive. Love more power but, not sure I would sacrifice that to get a Automatic...no offense guys, just my preference.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mcgreski thanks for the link.

I don't believe those statistics. I believe they are polluted by the 2001 models not having a manual option. That would greatly disturb the stats. I feel that if you are trying figure out the numbers on that you should leave out the 01' numbers. I had an 01' IS300 and it will always be my first love, but I'm glad it got totaled and allowed me to get my 03' manual (so weird it was hard for me to write that I was glad it was totaled, like I was talking crap about a dead person: I hope someone rebuilds it cause the engine was intact. Really I should have just bought it back from the insurance company parted it out on here)

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
boosting an auto is safer if your goal is 450 or whp. In order to do that for a manual it would prolly cost atleast an extra 3k to swap in at minumum a used
r154. And it really is suprising how great my auto shifts at wot. It is very fast and does not bounce off rev limiter. I actually just bought a 97 audi a4 1.8t for a daily driver which is auto. Well that car has a very slobby shifting style and it sucks ass, should have went manual for sure. But the is300 is way different, shift real fast and precise.

·
Boostin in the 505
2,242 Posts
Autos are less $ to upgrade, have min lag, and hold more boost inbetween shifts. With a proper stall TC and a VB they can really fly. I know alot of guys who have boosted IS have autos cause it's their DD and they deal with traffic alot.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I know alot of guys who have boosted IS have autos cause it's their DD and they deal with traffic alot.
this is exactly why I think I'm going to stay auto, unless I just run across a v16x/gs400/trd combo for a ridiculous price... doubt thats going to happen though... haha

·
Registered
254 Posts
basically you'll be spending less money to make it faster if you had an auto. The auto tranny thats built can handle 450-500 hp. But from there on your tranny wont last. Im pushing the limits of my tranny right now and i dont mind driving an auto. This is my first auto car and i love it. With a high stall tc and the valve body redone there is a bigg bigg difference. =) just my 2 cents. My shop quoted me 10 grand to do the r154 conversion thats the labor and parts all included. Ill be sticking with this auto for awhile LOL

·
Registered
650 Posts
basically you'll be spending less money to make it faster if you had an auto. The auto tranny thats built can handle 450-500 hp. But from there on your tranny wont last. Im pushing the limits of my tranny right now and i dont mind driving an auto. This is my first auto car and i love it. With a high stall tc and the valve body redone there is a bigg bigg difference. =) just my 2 cents. My shop quoted me 10 grand to do the r154 conversion thats the labor and parts all included. Ill be sticking with this auto for awhile LOL
10 grand to do a r154 swap? this doesnt sound right.

·
Registered
557 Posts
A lot of times, guys who are into dedicated turbo builds would have purchased the car several years ago. Didn't the 5spd IS300 came in a later year? That would somewhat explain more autos being under the knife.

The 2nd reason, probably because there are so many bolt-on solutions for automatic transmission upgrades.

My personal reason is that the IS300 is a car often portraited to be slower than the competitors. It is a turbo with a built automatic that you can cut 1.7 60-fts on street tires and probably street pavement. So that I can rape all those turbo Hondas so badly that even if their Civics had 600 WHP, it would take them up to 220 km/h to pull back...LOL

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why did the IS300 come with such a burly automatic transmission? Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my auto IS300, it was the best auto I'd driven, but I LOVE my manual one.

Tony the Tiger, you are correct, the IS300 came in only automatic in 2001 (the first model year) and then 2002 the manual arrived. The SportX also only comes in automatic.

When I had my auto I never really got that into tuning it, but now that I have the manual it's all I can think about. I've just had it bashed into my head through the years that boosting auto is "GAY". I have to say you have all changed my mind on this. I even looked into boosting my auto IS300 a year and a half ago and all the people I talked to gave me shit, just goes to show how much they knew (Honda/Nissan people).

Just so happens I'm looking to go for the 300-350rwhp range. This is my daily driver (I have a motorcycle too, but thats not always practical in Seattle) and I want it to remain reliable/drivable.I'm thinking about doing/going with this:

B.O.D.I. 2jz-ge Stage 1 Turbo Kit
This kit is good for 300-350hp on stock compression.

Kit Includes:
2JZ-GE Tubular T304 Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold
T61 Turbo good for 650BHP
Large Wastegate
Tial blow-off valve
Stainless Steel braided oil supply line with B.O.D.I. tee
High Temp oil drain line
4" High flow lifetime cone filter
AEM FIC
440cc Injectors
Walbro® 255lph High Pressure intank fuel pump
FULL POLISHED aluminum intercooler piping
22.5"x12"x3" Front Mount Intercooler rated at 650+HP
High Temp 4-layered silicone couplers and connectors
Stainless Steel T-Clamps
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
3" Mandrel bent T304 SS race downpipe
All necessary hardware for a complete install

$3,000.00 Installed

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm totally open/would GREATLY appreciate any input on what you think about this setup, if you recommend something different, if you know where I can get a r154 or v160 (used), or any other pertinent information.:)

Also how much rwhp do decals add? I notice that a lot of the high HP cars have them so I figured that must have something to do with the numbers they're putting up...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm thinking about doing/going with this:

B.O.D.I. 2jz-ge Stage 1 Turbo Kit
This kit is good for 300-350hp on stock compression.

Kit Includes:
2JZ-GE Tubular T304 Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold
T61 Turbo good for 650BHP
Large Wastegate
Tial blow-off valve
Stainless Steel braided oil supply line with B.O.D.I. tee
High Temp oil drain line
4" High flow lifetime cone filter
AEM FIC
440cc Injectors
Walbro® 255lph High Pressure intank fuel pump
FULL POLISHED aluminum intercooler piping
22.5"x12"x3" Front Mount Intercooler rated at 650+HP
High Temp 4-layered silicone couplers and connectors
Stainless Steel T-Clamps
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
3" Mandrel bent T304 SS race downpipe
All necessary hardware for a complete install

$3,000.00 Installed
Is that a local shop that quoted that?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why do you ask? Is there something wrong with it?
Its SouthSideImports.net

Click Me

1 - 20 of 45 Posts