Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
i MIGHT get my hands on one of these cars (as to how, that remains disclosed) and once i do, i will start fabrication of various parts ASAP.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
I am already doing a write up on this... good luck boosting this car. You think our ECU is complex right now.... eesh.

Between a definite lack of space in the engine bay, the V6, direct injection, the new VDIM, and a host of other issues... it won't be a pleseant experience.

Let's put it this way... you're going to need a simulator just to change out your rims or it'll throw a CEL and go into limp mode (no shit).

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
it depends on the WILL of the person/tuner/company that is going to be doing it... thats all there is to it.. anything is possible and nothing is overly difficult..

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
it depends on the WILL of the person/tuner/company that is going to be doing it... thats all there is to it.. anything is possible and nothing is overly difficult..

If you say so... get ready to spend some serious $$$$. The IS300 will be cheap to boost compared to this car.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
dasgalloway said:
If you say so... get ready to spend some serious $$$$. The IS300 will be cheap to boost compared to this car.

i never said it would be a cake walk and inexpensive... and yes.. the newer the cars get in this day and age, the more complex thier electronics become.... IS_dude said it best a long time ago, the current IS' ECU will be like a commodore compared to the new IS.

Things on this car that will be tedious to work on:
--Motor (lack of space, lack of experience, DI)
--Audio (the dash is not like the current IS and is like other lexus models and too many things are now integrated into the audio system..

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Isnt the new motor going to be High Compression? the 1GR is 10.0:1CR, and its 4.0L, with 245HP. I can only imagine what the 3.5L 3GR would have as a CR.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
dasgalloway said:
Let's put it this way... you're going to need a simulator just to change out your rims or it'll throw a CEL and go into limp mode (no shit).
That's false. We drove both IS250 AWD & IS350 the whole time with no tire pressure sensors...all we had is the warning indicator on the multi function readout and the annoying blinking amber tire pressure sensor indicator.

http://www.clublexus.com/index.php/article/articleview/7475/1/10/

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
GangusKhanh² said:
Isnt the new motor going to be High Compression? the 1GR is 10.0:1CR, and its 4.0L, with 245HP. I can only imagine what the 3.5L 3GR would have as a CR.
The 2GR-FSE is the 3.5L and the 3GR is the 3.0L from the GS300.

I don't have my notes in front of me but when we were talking to Bob Allen and Charles Hubbard, he mentioned to me the 2GR (3.5) had a CR of about 13 and the 4GR (2.5) around 12. They were pretty high considering you have about 1000psi of fuel pressure coming out of those injectors. Don't quote me exactly on those numbers, thats what I recall off the top of my head.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
I don't tink too many are going to attempt it.
I have a feeling these motors are gonna be like the s2000 motors who just break when boosted, even when built.

There's more to worry about with the new motor than with our current. Regardless of space you have direct injection...as well as a host of other stupid stuff.
Too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm....I think it will get done, but $$$ will come into Play.

Malek: If you're going to do this, F/I, you got balls cuz what if you phock it up?

Das: I hope a person gets a CEL when they put on 20" chrome spinners.. LOL..

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
rllinghardis300 said:
hmm....I think it will get done, but $$$ will come into Play.
There are alot of explorers out there. Someone, somwhere will try it out but I just think it will be a complete dissappointment.
Either:
a) the tuner will start and never finish the project
or
b) the tuner will finish the end cost will be up the roof, which in turn customer's cost will be the same causing people to reconsider boosting.

But at the end either way it will:

a) cause the tuner to go bankrupt
or
b) it will cost the customer to go bankrupt.

Seeing how costly it is to boost the 2jz motor and the amount of bitching and complaining from the 2jz owners the market for boost on the new gen will drop severely.

·
Premium Member
26,324 Posts
would a roots style sc fit on these motors? might have to modify the hood to accomodate but i would think one would work? thoughts?

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
All it's gonna take is a good tuner that's an electrical whiz, customer w/ a lot of money, a is350, and a lack of common sense.

in other words, it's gonna happen. the question is, "When?".

it will be obscenely expensive, but incase you haven't looked lately in this forum, there are members in here that spend obscene amounts of money to boost the current car(cough**meandmanyothers**cough).

malek, i wish you nothing but luck. I did ask 2 tuners about it and one said "no fockin way" and the other was somewhat possitive about it.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
I definitely forsee S/C that way to go with this car..

I'd also like to see what gains a Header/ypipe/exhaust/intake will do for both the IS350 and 250...

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
Official compression ratio numbers:

12.0:1 for the IS250
11.8:1 for the IS350

FYI, there will supposedly be a couple of modded 2nd-gen Lexus ISs at this year's SEMA. Let's see what they come up with.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts