Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
start from the begining
july 2nd, 2005- car broken into, bent hood, fender, broken window and some other things
july 2nd-9th, car sits and collects dust, couldnt drive it because they cut the wire harness.
july 13, drop my car off at autobody shop. also had front bumper repainted.
2 weeks later after calling them every other day they finally say it was ready.
Got there and the hood needed to be rebuffed, side skirts molding was not right, glue all over the l tuned emblems. scratches/chips in paint was not filled in all the way. drips in the paint on bumper. head light loose.

so i take the car the way it was cause i needed something to drive.

august 16th, drop car off again for everything to be fixed. they ended up repainting everything that was painted because the paint didnt cure properly or at least thats what they told me.

so today August 29th, i got to pick it up since they said it was finally ready and i get there.

L-tuned emblem not installed on side of car, side molding had a big chip in, head light still loose, hood/ fender not aligned properly. never got the new gaskets for side skirts. fender had pin holes on the paint and needs to be repainted again. hood was not completely wet sanded around edges. hood cable was not on right, hood didnt want to pop up.

now i have to take the car back next wednesday for a third time. i hope they get it right.

you would think that they would have some sort of quality control or something.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
There are some body sops out there that do some terrible work. What made you choose this shop?

Good luck on the third try.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
after the 1st experience i'd be a little weiry of taking it back. but after the 2nd time i would definately find another shop. i'm almost guessing that this shop's rates are good (cheap) but i could be wrong. in that case you're spending more money to take it to a "good priced" shop rather than taking it to a "good quality" shop that would do it right the 1st time. might cost a little more the first go around but atleast there isnt a 2nd and 3rd.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
I hope its not an insurance body shop. Well the body shop could be bad or you're not giving the body shop a chance to work on your car properly, you could have pissed them off by calling them every other day to see if your car is ready.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
I thought Carillo's did good bodywork, paint, etc??

WTH happened?
Maybe you did piss them off by calling too often?
This is good to know, as I won't be visiting them for my trunk work.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
That's terrible. Sorry to hear. Personally I would've changed shops the first time, and wouldn't have paid (have you paid yet?)

Obvisously, my personal opinion doesn't help you.
If you've already dropped off the car, and you get it back in the same crappy condition...take it up in small claims court and photograph everything.

g'luck

·
Registered
910 Posts
dude that freakin blows. What really sucks is that there's no turning back, you have to get them to fix it or deal with their $hitty work. Feel bad for ya.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Damn sorry to hear that. When ever I need body work done(previous cars) I always take it to West Coast Specialties. I've seen there work prior to me going there which sold me. I've never had a problem with there work. The guy always keeps me in the loop as to what's going on so I don't have to call them. All they pretty much work on is high end cars but will work on anything.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lexus actually reffered me to them and so did a few other people so i thought that it would have been a safe bet. most of the cars that are in the shop are all lexus'.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
i hate shops like that. i had an experience like that before with my previous car.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE!
WED 9/16/05
so i went to pick up my car the other day for the 3rd of 4th time, i can't remember. The guy calls me and tells me everything looks perfect on my car and is good to go. so i show up at the body shop and the guys like i got bad news for you, so i am like now what... tells me i got bad news for you, one of the workers put the L-tuned Emblem in the wrong spot, so he peeled it off to try to relocate it and pulled off a big chunk of paint. it sucks... so maybe today i will get my car back.

fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
damn if the emblem was able to take a big piece of the paint off they better repaint what ever it is and prep it good. Sorry to hear it's going to be another delay.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Sorry to hear, I'm actually going through the same problem with the bodyshop I've been dealing with for years.

Here's my sitatuion:I was guaranteed 2 weeks, but it turned to be 6 weeks one day shy of 7 weeks. Then the owner told me I could pick it up on Saturday, but when I went to go pick it up, the car was still in pieces, and also only 1 door was jus finished being wetsanded. At this point I couldnt wait for the car so then we agreed on Monday. When I went on monday to go pick it up, the car was still in pieces, so I had to sit around for 4hrs for them to finish putting the car together.

Since it was so late out (9:30 p.m) I couldn't really see anything or have a chance to check out the work. Next day, had a chance to detail the car, yes I had to detail my own car, including waxing the car and clean the interior which was full of dust, bondo, paint. When I was detailing it, I noticed many runs, orange peels and dull spots all over the car.

Here is the list of problems:

(1) My newly powdercoated wheels (all 4) that I spent almost 800 to get done had overspray all over them.
(2) Sunroof and windows was completely covered in clear coat.
(3) Door jams had massive overspray
(4) There were about 3 different spots that was missed when they compounded the car.
(5) I am missing some part, and some parts were still left off.
(6) My escaine trim on the LF door is not longer black, partially red from overspray.
(7) My headlight had a piece snapped off.
(8) The whole entire car has swirl marks and hazes like crazy in the sunlight.
(9) Worst of all, the replaced some suspension parts, and one of the rear lateral arm fell off.

I've gave them 2 chances to fix the problems, but both times the car came out the same way.

Yes, I've been dealing with this shop for 3-4 years, and I guess the more I deal with them they seem to screw me over. They are a reputable shop in the area. This is the same shop that did De's car (Sophiesleeps), Henry's (hchan), Sandy (alphatuff) and many other people in this forum. And it sucks to feel the way I feel because to think that since you bring them so much referrals and business they would help you out. Seems like the more people I bring to him, the more inappreciative they get with me. However this will be the lasttime I will deal with them. So far the people I take to them have been happy, and I'm glad because I had to have people start thinking I was bullshitting about this shop.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update again!!!
this was about 2 weeks ago
so about 2 weeks ago i finally picked my car up for the 4th time. they called me and said everything looks great so i show up and these guys are still working on my car, my hood wasnt opening and the whole front end was not aligned properly along with the headlights, and its not like my car was in an accident. all it did was get broken into, a bent hood, fender and fill in a scratch on the front bumper and repaint the front bumper. so i am looking at my car while in the shade and i could see pin holes all over the car and on the driver side fender which they blended. i told him about the pin holes and he said thats from where there were chips on the fender and it filled them in with paint when they blended the fender. i said thats not possible because i had a clear bra, and hes like ohh, um bring it back and we will buff it out. i am like i thought you said it was ready...

so i took the car anyways and ended up taking a couple days later to the other location where it is today. the owner told me there was definently something wrong with the paint. he said basically it has cancer, you cant just cover it up with more paint like they did, you have to take off all the paint and redo the whole thing.

so its been painted like 3 or 4 times already

so i go to check it out today and they are painting everything from the driver and passenger door forward. so far its taken approx 60 days to do a more than simple repair. they are loosing a hell of alot of money on this job from not doing it right in the first place.

i will post pics when i get it back next week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts