Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 is300
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bmw friend of mine has a spare zf320 5 speed trans and collins makes an adapater kit. I have not found any info on if this fits in the is300 though. Collins makes it sound like the shifter works and no trans tunnel issues and I can just use an e36 clutch kit on their flywheel. Anyone have any info on this swap? Seems like the zf320 is pretty common and holds 600 ftlbs.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
508 Posts
It's definitely an option. I like the BMW shifter options, I'd do some measuring if you have access to the transmission and give Collins an email on lengths.

·
Registered
2002 is300
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's definitely an option. I like the BMW shifter options, I'd do some measuring if you have access to the transmission and give Collins an email on lengths.
Well that ended very quickly. The big problems become the driveshaft has to be so long it needs to be teliscopic which becomes 700 to 1k. For roughly 4k I can get everything for a cd009 swap. At what point does the cd009 become more cost effective. Trans 1k plus 1k driveshaft plus 500 clutch plus 200 for pedal plus 500 for trans subframe. Plus all the little bits and bobs for a 5spd or 4k for a 6spd. Also collins had no good info on the shifter placement so I would be on my own to create a shifter extension.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well that ended very quickly. The big problems become the driveshaft has to be so long it needs to be teliscopic which becomes 700 to 1k. For roughly 4k I can get everything for a cd009 swap. At what point does the cd009 become more cost effective. Trans 1k plus 1k driveshaft plus 500 clutch plus 200 for pedal plus 500 for trans subframe. Plus all the little bits and bobs for a 5spd or 4k for a 6spd. Also collins had no good info on the shifter placement so I would be on my own to create a shifter extension.
That sucks :/ My AR5 conversion was right around $4,000 as well. I think it was just at $3,900. Add $500 to that for the driveshaft I just bought haha. Then again I also got my transmission for $650 shipped which was a huge factor. On the other hand, You don't really need ARP hardware for everything, a $300 shifter, $100 shift knob and Motul fluids, but I wanted it to be the best it could be. (Not trying to show off, just trying to be transparent)

·
Registered
2002 is300
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sucks :/ My AR5 conversion was right around $4,000 as well. I think it was just at $3,900. Add $500 to that for the driveshaft I just bought haha. Then again I also got my transmission for $650 shipped which was a huge factor. On the other hand, You don't really need ARP hardware for everything, a $300 shifter, $100 shift knob and Motul fluids, but I wanted it to be the best it could be. (Not trying to show off, just trying to be transparent)
Yeah the cd009 should be 4k all done or less depending on my transmssion. I'm gonna pick a trans up cheap and rebuild it or go to a junkyard. Unfortantly seems like im stuck with the $350 shifter to get the right placement. Hoping collins throws in a shift knob and buy a genric boot. The kit is 3k plus trans and bits and bobs. Thought the zf trans would be cheaper but wpuld probably be about the same cost. HAHAHA all this to get a reiable turbo setup.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah the cd009 should be 4k all done or less depending on my transmssion. I'm gonna pick a trans up cheap and rebuild it or go to a junkyard. Unfortantly seems like im stuck with the $350 shifter to get the right placement. Hoping collins throws in a shift knob and buy a genric boot. The kit is 3k plus trans and bits and bobs. Thought the zf trans would be cheaper but wpuld probably be about the same cost. HAHAHA all this to get a reiable turbo setup.
It's a process. If it was easy everyone would do it. Well everyone does do it, but strive to be the guy that did it right.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
When I was shopping around to replace my R154, I considered the CD009. At first it looked less expensive than the Grannas T56 magnum route. But that didn't factor in used CD vs new T56, or getting a really nice clutch, or the new (taller) diff gearing you really need with the CD, or the fact tons of parts and shops are out there to fix/upgrade the T56 in the future.

I'm pretty frugal, so it was hard to cough up the ~$7500 for the T56, but I don't regret it a bit.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I wouldn't consider the cd009. I never hear good things about them first-hand and I couldn't imagine driving with that gearing. Maybe if I had a Supra (or it's differential) I would think differently, likely not though.

Another thing that scares me is the shifter extension, given I'm using one now in my colorado swap. If I did it over I would skip the shifter extension and modify the oem one that came with the transmission. The old truck shifter is far superior in quality, contrary to what I initially thought. I should have known better.

The ZF trans sounds enticing. I don't know anything about it but if you suspect it to be smoother than a cd009, that would be enough justification for me.

Me personally:

Toyota trans >= GM trans > BMW trans > ... > Nissan trans

·
Registered
2002 is300
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Idk The short first sucks but for traffic is sounds appealing the rest of the gearing looks ok with a stock 3.9 lsd. If you go on to the collins website the shifter they offer is pretty nice and strong. Its not an extension just the actual shifter part if that makes sense. If i pick up a used cd009 Ill pull it apart and clean it up which isnt a big deal to me. There isnt a ton of problems with the cd009 just seems the syncrhos are the first thing to go. The clutch that comes with the kit should be good for a while while im only pushing 12psi. One thing I want to do before buying it is go out and drive a cd009 car and see how it shifts.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Idk The short first sucks but for traffic is sounds appealing the rest of the gearing looks ok with a stock 3.9 lsd.
Below is a graph of RPM vs vehicle speed (based on a 275/35-18 tire) for both the V160 with the original Supra gearing, as well as a CD009 with the 3.92 gearing automatic IS300s came with.

V160/3.13 in RED
CD009/3.92 in GREEN

Notice 6th gear in the CD is the same as 5th gear in the V160. You'll be going about 3300rpm in 6th gear @ 80mph. You'll also need 7300rpm to hit 60mph in 2nd gear.

Last, consider that Toyota engineers spent some time thinking about how to ideally gear a turbo 2J in a 3200lb car...

Many more graphs with other combinations here:

And a link to the raw spreadsheet so you can fiddle with whatever you want here:

·
Registered
2002 is300
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Below is a graph of RPM vs vehicle speed (based on a 275/35-18 tire) for both the V160 with the original Supra gearing, as well as a CD009 with the 3.92 gearing automatic IS300s came with.

V160/3.13 in RED
CD009/3.92 in GREEN

Notice 6th gear in the CD is the same as 5th gear in the V160. You'll be going about 3300rpm in 6th gear @ 80mph. You'll also need 7300rpm to hit 60mph in 2nd gear.

Last, consider that Toyota engineers spent some time thinking about how to ideally gear a turbo 2J in a 3200lb car...

Many more graphs with other combinations here:

And a link to the raw spreadsheet so you can fiddle with whatever you want here:
That was pretty useful thank you. 6th will be a little shorter the the a650e then. Looks like either save for the t56 or add a gs400 diff swap to the list of crap to do. gs400 diff swap doesnt seem that bad braket some bushings driveshaft flange changed and a set of axles.

·
Registered
508 Posts
They all came open so I'd have to buy an aftermarket lsd. Yayy......Anyways I'm just conna drive it with the stock 3.9 ratio and if I hate it I'll soruce the gs400 swap stuff.
Strange, so many people drift the GS/Aristo, I figured the barrier for entry was just a manual swap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts