Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was heading home from Santa Barbara tonight and I got on PCH from Oxnard. There was a 2002/3 BMW 750 behind me and I let him pass cuz he was bearing down on me pretty fast. It was a thing of beauty to see the guy eat up those PCH curves. I tried to keep up but the SportX was no match plus the wife was getting pissed :pissed: at me for hitting those curves like a maniac. There were hardly any cars...I was going between 60-70 mph on the big curves and 40-50 on the tight curves...the bimmer was so much faster :eek: .

Anyway just thought I'd share. Any car enthusiast would've loved to see what I saw tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,219 Posts
is that why the IS handles better than the 3 series ??

"Ultimate Driving Machine" is overrated. Although i love BMW, just overrated.

ask WxMan, he'd tell ya :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would have been interesting to see if I could have kept up with him, but like I said the wife was getting pissed. I don't drive that part of PCH too often and the bimmer seemed like he was well acquainted with every curve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
If he's well-acquainted, there's no way you can (or should even try to) beat him. The new 7-series is a grand car, but it can't bend the laws of physics. An equally well-driven IS (or even a Prelude or WRX) will beat him if the road doesn't open up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Off-TRAC said:
If he's well-acquainted, there's no way you can (or should even try to) beat him. The new 7-series is a grand car, but it can't bend the laws of physics. An equally well-driven IS (or even a Prelude or WRX) will beat him if the road doesn't open up.
I agree with you. I don't doubt that an IS sedan can hang with the 7 but the sportcross is a different story. The sportx's rear end is a bit loose around tight turns -- better swaybars might do the trick. Like I said I couldn't give chase because of the wife.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Malekreza11 said:
is that why the IS handles better than the 3 series ??

"Ultimate Driving Machine" is overrated. Although i love BMW, just overrated.

ask WxMan, he'd tell ya :wink:
Its only overrated if you drive a shitty model, anything with an M will hand an IS300 its ass with relative ease. :shame:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
Is300Killer said:
Malekreza11 said:
is that why the IS handles better than the 3 series ??

"Ultimate Driving Machine" is overrated. Although i love BMW, just overrated.

ask WxMan, he'd tell ya :wink:
Its only overrated if you drive a shitty model, anything with an M will hand an IS300 its ass with relative ease. :shame:

spend the money on the is as much as the m cost.. then is will hand m it's ass~ with relative ease~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
hmm....i spent 24k on my car about a year and a half ago, 26k miles in perfect condition, so your telling me an Is300 will whoop my ass with relative ease for $24k? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Your car, had you purchased it new, would have cost $40,000+ if I'm not mistaken.

An IS300 of similar age (had they existed back in '95) and mileage would have cost less than $24K

BTW, 24K for a 26K mile E36 M3 is an awesome deal. I purchased my IS (new) roughly a year and a half ago too, and I was seriously considering an E36 M3 at the time. The best price on one with reasonable mileage I found was $28,000 for 45,000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,157 Posts
was it already turbocharged?



Is300Killer said:
hmm....i spent 24k on my car about a year and a half ago, 26k miles in perfect condition, so your telling me an Is300 will whoop my ass with relative ease for $24k? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
LoL this is a funny story... probably about 8 years ago my Dad was driving a 750 he used to have, was a sweet V12. We were headed to Eureka for a race and on the way we ran into a few random cars that revved here and there. One was a porsche and the other a truck. Back and forth, Cat and mouse, trading positions up the winding turns heading up to Eureka, i think it was 101 north.

Anyways, my mom and sister were also in the car, i egged on my dad with sister and mom hitting him and yelling "SLOW DOWN". Eventually my dad got what he deserved. Those nice bbs gold rims started hugging the asphalt, post the tire blowing. After that it took about 2 hours for my dad to get a hold of a tow truck with a flat bed. We could not change the tire, it was indefinately not moving without some serious work. So it was a long, tiring evening. Yada yada yada and the story goes on. Thought i'd like to share. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,157 Posts
i'm confused about the comparison then? you spent 24k for a stock m3, but then put money into it to turbocharge it, so how is the turbocharged IS have a 24k cap, unless you mean 24k in mods

-gte





Is300Killer said:
IS300GTE said:
was it already turbocharged?



Is300Killer said:
hmm....i spent 24k on my car about a year and a half ago, 26k miles in perfect condition, so your telling me an Is300 will whoop my ass with relative ease for $24k? :roll:
Nope, bone stock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
IS300GTE said:
i'm confused about the comparison then? you spent 24k for a stock m3, but then put money into it to turbocharge it, so how is the turbocharged IS have a 24k cap, unless you mean 24k in mods

-gte





Is300Killer said:
IS300GTE said:
was it already turbocharged?



Is300Killer said:
hmm....i spent 24k on my car about a year and a half ago, 26k miles in perfect condition, so your telling me an Is300 will whoop my ass with relative ease for $24k? :roll:
Nope, bone stock

exactly~ another bmw owner with penis envy~
if IS came out in 95 it would be a lot less than the M .. even with that .. price difference...

turbo charging the is would blow the M out of the water~

you spent money on turbo charging it ??

why not possibly go full sway to the supra motor+ tranny

Stage 3 anyone ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
isekii said:
IS300GTE said:
i'm confused about the comparison then? you spent 24k for a stock m3, but then put money into it to turbocharge it, so how is the turbocharged IS have a 24k cap, unless you mean 24k in mods

-gte





Is300Killer said:
IS300GTE said:
was it already turbocharged?



Is300Killer said:
hmm....i spent 24k on my car about a year and a half ago, 26k miles in perfect condition, so your telling me an Is300 will whoop my ass with relative ease for $24k? :roll:
Nope, bone stock

exactly~ another bmw owner with penis envy~
if IS came out in 95 it would be a lot less than the M .. even with that .. price difference...

turbo charging the is would blow the M out of the water~

you spent money on turbo charging it ??

why not possibly go full sway to the supra motor+ tranny

Stage 3 anyone ?
Ok, basically what i meant was stock vs stock any M will destroy the IS, thus the 24k price quote. If i could have gotten an IS300 for 24k i still would have gotten the M, thats not the point, the point is that for my money i got a MUCH better car from the factory, am i going to make 600hp? Nope! but then again thats not my goal. Now with that settled, the penis envy comment is clearly from somebody that has envy of another kind, thats goes without saying though. Now, as for why i chose the M, i wanted something that would make good power, have GREAT handling,good looks and be daily drivable, all of which needs have been met. If i wanted a 600hp beast that would light up the tires through every turn i would have gotten an IS300 or Supra. Now please all you autocross junkies dont come after me trying to convine me how capable the IS300 is, i know it handles quite well, just not like an m3 and thats what i wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
well you definitely got a nice deal on your M

but you still bought a car that at that time about 5 years old for 24k ..

how much would an IS cost when it's 5 years old ??

16-18K maybe less maybe more~

with that amount~ what if someone decides to invest the rest of the money on the IS and gets even a Stage 2 turbo for it ?

seeing how you spent money on your M which I dont blame you for ~ i'd get turbo for it as well~ if I did~
how much did your turbo cost you ?

are you telling me with the amount of money you spent on your M~ instead

getting an IS if it was 5 year old and spending the money left over on the IS won't destroy your M ?

I highly doubt the M will be hanging with the IS with that much invested in it~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
There is a reason that the E36 M3 is still worth that money money at 5 years old... it's a great car.

All of the reliability issues aside, BMW makes great-handling cars. They truly are driver's machines.

The IS300 was built to compete with the 3-series for just that reason. The fact that the IS300 was created is a compliment to BMW's success.

I chose the IS over the E36 for obvious reasons, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what you get with the E36.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
11 Participants
Is300Killer
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing
Top