Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! New user here. I frequently visit the website but I never had a reason to post until today. I must say everyone here is pretty cool except for the trolls. Anyways enough about me, I was on my way home from work today and was listening to an AM radio station when I heard a BMW 330i sedan commercial come on. It started like this, The commercial started talking about what is perfect in the world like the perfect game or perfect body. Then it started talking about how the BMW 330i sedan was the "perfect" car. This is the interesting part right here. At the end of the commercial it said this, "...so instead of hearing about perfection or the relentless pursuit of it why don't you buy the perfect car today." I was shocked! That was a direct comment towards the IS300. For those of you who don't know, the Lexus motto is "the relentless pursuit of perfection" which is where they came up with that cheeky little remark. BMW must be really concerned about the IS to come up with a whole commercial aimed at the IS. Wow! Anyways I am a soon to be IS owner, waiting for 2002 red manual. I don't know if anyone noticed, but I think the altezza grill would look perfect on the new red IS300. Anyways I hope other people have heard this commercial, it is actually quite amusing. Later everybody.

------------------
Keep Drivin' And Dont Stop Smiling

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
what? you dont like BMW? get lost, this is a bimmer board
j/k, welcome aboard.

*psst* i might have to move this to the Parking Lot

·
Registered
816 Posts
That's nothing compared to the "review article" that some dealerships have decided to use.

It's too bad that the link that ckolsen had found to the scanned versions of that "review article" has expired. (Or maybe that's not a bad thing at all.)

It just means that BMW is now taking Lexus' challenge as seriously as Lexus meant it.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

·
Registered
511 Posts
Seems as if you guys forgot who started it. The first IS commercial was directly aimed at the three series (rally commercial). BMW would be stupid to sit back and not compete with the competition. The reactions to the BMW campaign on Lexus boards smacks of selective memory.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Yep, they make nice cars...but nobody's perfect. I think Lexus has fewer quality issues than BMW. Anyways, I'm a previous owner of a 2001 IS300 Auto...absolutely loved the car, but I couldn't resist the temptation of a manual. So I sold my 2001 and am #7 on the list for a 2002 IS300M. A few planned mods should make my car an E36 M3/S4 Killer.
Can't wait!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
BMW is gay... i guess theyre OK.... but IS still rocks hands down... anyway who`s up for some decals that say: BMW KILLER
3 Series Killer
hahaha~!!!!

------------------
2001 Onyx Black IS300
-fully equipped
-Wing
-Limited Edition 18" Volk Racing SE37A
-Pirelli P7000 Supersport
-TRD
-RAZO
-K&N filtercharger

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by S38:
Seems as if you guys forgot who started it. The first IS commercial was directly aimed at the three series (rally commercial).
That is true, though. The radio ad is a witty and appropriate ribbing-in-reply worthy of these two prestigious marques.

The "review article", IMO, was not.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited March 19, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Yeah, that BMW 'review' of the IS300 was pretty heinous.
Fusion, how do you like the P7000 SS's on your IS300? How do they compare to stock tires (Potenzas?)?

Originally posted by fusion:
BMW is gay... i guess theyre OK.... but IS still rocks hands down... anyway who`s up for some decals that say: BMW KILLER
3 Series Killer
hahaha~!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, I was just wondering about the original IS300 commercial aimed at the BMW 330i. So far I have gathered that BMW has only made a pamphlet and a radio commercial. I think I remember looking at the pamphlet a long time ago but anyways I think that S38 is right about the fact that Lexus threw the first blow with their commercial and they went all out while BMW has only mildly responded IMHO. I'm only playing the devils advocate here. By the way what do you guys think of putting the altezza grill on the new red color for the IS. Thanks, later.

·
Registered
818 Posts
That actually sound like a funny commercial. Advertising like this is just to put a smile on the listener/watcher's face. Remember the old slogans for the Z28? "Anything less is just a pony car"

------------------
Justy
99 328i
01 IS300

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by Altezza Smile:
Lexus threw the first blow with their commercial and they went all out while BMW has only mildly responded IMHO.
The commercial, or the salient parts of it, went something like this:

<photographers and spectators line the outside of a curve on a muddy rally course>

<narrator> In recent test, the Lexus IS300 outhandled a *certain* competitor.

<IS goes into a drift, only a few feet away from the photographers and spectators, spraying them with mud and water, and they cheer and photograph away>

<small text> Test was performed on a dry course. Dramatization only.

<Scene shifts back up the course. A muddy but familiar kidney-bean grilled silhouette approaches.>

<Spectators and photographers scream and run for safety.>

And that's the Lexus commercial. I'm not sure anybody could call that an all-out attack, although it does not-so-subtly hint at the point of comparison. For anyone but people absolutely stubborn on asserting the 3-series handling superiority relative to even an unknown newcomer (back then, of course, and not exactly contradicted in recent automotive press), I would think it was a witty commercial.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DtEW,
I chose the wrong words about describing the commercial I agree it wasn't all out but it was a little more forward than BMW's methods. But I have to admit that both Lexus and BMW keep me laughing and I think it is healthy that they both have competitive spirits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts