Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit that this will sound like the strangest suggestion ever, but it works like nothing I have ever seen. After you wash you car, don't you always have trouble drying all the little cracks and spaces where the water likes to sit. Then when you drive off the water spots all over your car when the wind blows over it. Well, to fix that, and to maintain a perfect paint job. Break out blower, no not the neighborhood tramp, I am talking about either your lawn leaf blower or even a shop vac. Wash the car, dry it off as best as you can, then use the blower to get the water out from behind the side mirrors, the doors, off the wheels, etc. Then dry off the excess and there will be no spots on your car GUARANTEED!!! If you do this, I promise you that your car will be cleaner than it has ever been. Try it, even if your neighbors laugh, they won't be driving the the sweet car will they.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I am feeling so much better now that I know I am not alone.

I use a shop vac to blow out all the crevices, especially around the side marker lights and around the taillights and door handles.

There is also another benefit in that when it's time to wax the car, it is completely dry and water will not affect the waxing process.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm an auto detailer, and thats one of our best secrets. Also, use it in the window run channel (the seal) and it will help dry the window so you can roll it down without it leaving streaks. Make sure you getit into the side mirrors really well. That seems to f*ck it up the most.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I use an air compresser, works great. Here's another tip for the side-view mirrors. You guys know how annoying it is after you washed your car then take it for a spin and you see nice streaks of diry water originating from the mirrors. Well to remedy this situation, fold your side-mirrors in. Ya' know, how the mirrors can be folded inwards for tight parking spaces, well there is a 2-3 mm gap there and that is where most of the water dwells. Fold the mirror in and blow away. There's actually more water in there than behind the mirror inside the compartment. I also tilt the mirror so I can easily blow the water out of compartment too.

-crontab -l

·
Registered
33 Posts
The leaf blower is a good trick. I was first using it on my Vette (that thing holds water in so many places!) now I use it on everything.
What do you use to dry the rest? I use an absorber. Better then a chamois, and less chance to scratch than w/ a towel.

·
8,880 Posts
When I used my leaf-blower to dry my car, my neighboor looked odd at me.
Ha ha.

Yep, I'm not alone either.

·
Registered
160 Posts
IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME FOR A BLOW...Try this one on the side view mirrors: drill a small hole underneath the mirror, it will serve as a drain for the mirrors and you won't even notice the hole.

Of course, I prefer a good blow.

·
2,909 Posts
Yeah, I BLOW my car too but, with a compressed air can, you know for cleaning the dust off your keyboard.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Don't flame me for going to a car wash but we have some really good hand wash places out here that use an air hose to blow out the cracks and all that when they are finishing your car.
Wish I had one at my house for the do it yourself days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts