Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did respect him as a savvy businessman but he's finally lost it. He's concentrating more on petty shit like this then trying to revive the city's economy or putting up more measures to protect against possible terrorist attacks.
They agreed to ban smoking in all bars, restaurants, and clubs in the city.
He's also been cracking down on establishments for excessive noise, ban on letting patrons dance w/o permit (what the fock?), overcrowding in clubs, etc. Making people wait an hour to get into some shithole of a bar.

MIKE'S CIG BAN HARD TO 'BEER'

By DAVID SEIFMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 12, 2002 -- It's lights out for smokers.
Mayor Bloomberg and City Council leaders announced yesterday that they've reached a long-awaited deal to ban smoking in most indoor public spaces - including bars, nightclubs and restaurants.

The new law takes effect 90 days after the mayor signs it, meaning late March or early April.

A public hearing is scheduled Friday at City Hall. Swift approval by the council is expected next week.

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/64519.htm

·
Chocolate Goodness
34,363 Posts
I would agree with a ban on smoking in enclosed public places...but that's not the issue that PMD was trying to convey. Bloomberg's lack of perspective is allowing for petty cases to take priority on the most important obvious issues. He need to put his act together.

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Smoking areas should be allowed, but they should be truly seperate and thoroughly ventilated. This law is going to really hurt NY businesses.

On the other issue, I agree...Bloomberg needs to focus on more important shit.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
dude, its part of his "quality of life" efforts... he's trumpeting these since everythign else that has been handed to him a la the guliani administration is in the deep end of a shithole. $1 billion deficit this year, nearly $5 billion next year... MTA strike, pissed off cops, firemen, and sanitation workers... companies threatening to leave due to the recession... i can't say he's doing a good job but I don't think its fair to say he's doing a bad one either.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am just expecting a lot more from him considering that he's a self-made billionaire.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
PMD911 said:
I am just expecting a lot more from him considering that he's a self-made billionaire.
government is a legacy opperation... he started from scratch, and had martial law...

·
Registered
357 Posts
No smoking in Bars and restraunts...i know if that happened here in Detroit, peeps would loose out on a TON of money. I was in Kitchener, ONT this summer to visit friends. They have a ban on smoking in public facilities as well....there were more people outside of the clubs and bars smoking than people inside!!! The NY law will be just as bad a prohibition!!
What ever happend to rights in this country...smokers have just as much rights as a non smoker....if not then believe in prejudice!

·
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
26,421 Posts
MotownIS300 said:
No smoking in Bars and restraunts...i know if that happened here in Detroit, peeps would loose out on a TON of money. I was in Kitchener, ONT this summer to visit friends. They have a ban on smoking in public facilities as well....there were more people outside of the clubs and bars smoking than people inside!!! The NY law will be just as bad a prohibition!!
What ever happend to rights in this country...smokers have just as much rights as a non smoker....if not then believe in prejudice!
Personally, I'd vote for smoking in bars after, say, 9 p.m., and no smoking in any other public place. It's one thing to allow someone their personal rights, such as talking loudly on a cell phone, in public places, but something different when a smoker's second hand smoke can cause me to get Cancer.

What about my rights to not get Cancer??

You wouldn't like it if someone stood up in the middle of a restaurant and started flinging HIV infected blood everywhere and on your food, would you?

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
I guess he watched Jay Leno a few night ago when Guiliani was on. Guiliani said in his reign of terror that he focused on small things like squeegy guys and hookers, and that eliminating the smaller peskier things lead to larger scale crimes being reduced.

Bloomberg on the other hand... is a total jackass. Can you imagine going into a bar and not being able to smoke (not that I smoke) but, the hit that small businesses gonna take will not help the struggling economic situation in NYC. I know that the ban is in effect for bars & restaurants, which they MUST allocate a smoking "room". I wonder if this extends to night clubs? Imagine if you couldnt smoke in a club? damn... lotta places gonna loose revenue. and how much $$$ will bloomberg spend to enforce this stupid law? (just as stupid as putting tolls on all manhattan crossings - who's money gonna build toll booths and take into affect traffic patterns and congestions caused from collecting tolls? TRAFFIC IS BAD ENOUGH AS IT IS)

In any event... I wonder if these bars and restaurants will have to reapply for a business license under "nightclub" category if the night clubs are omitted from this rule. This situation sucks.

BTW... Who "really" thinks Bloomberg will be riding his bicycle to work in the dead of winter if the MTA strike happens? :roll: bitch please!!! He talk out his ass so goddam much.

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
I can imagine going into a bar and/or club and actually being able to breathe! That's gonna be great. All I gotta say is Fuck smokers. Fuck smokers and their cancer-causing habits. And if people are worried about small business taking a hit? Don't be. They're gum sales are gonna skyrocket. :D I think you're also gonna see a huge jump in Marijuana dealing too.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
FYI, in LA there are no smoking rules in effect and peeps just run outside for a smoke, no big deal...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Actually most of CA has no smoking rules in effect. In fact they don't even allow cigarette vending machines cause they're too easily abused by minors.

The only time I noticed this having a detrimental effect on businesses was when one in an area was breaking the rules, the people would flock to it till it got shut down. But if you can't smoke everywhere, it's kind of moot. It's not like every smoker in NYC is gonna say damnit, I can't fucking smoke in bars anymore. I'm gonna stay home and smoke a pack in my room.

It's a pain, but people will adjust quickly...

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:
HAHAHA yeah, or they pat you down like a mofo... thinkin you ran outside for a gun ;)
yeah, i can tell we don't hand in the same social circles :lol:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Smokers will just stay home to drink. It sucks going to a bar or club and not be able to smoke.

Not a good time to hurt the local economy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
ATLDave
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing