41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yyeeessss!!!

Slap some tint on that bitch
Tint is in the plans!

Finally getting the timing belt and everything else done...
Radiator, upper, lower and heater hoses, AC condenser, cam seals, crank seal, crank pulley, VVT-i gear, oil solenoid, etc., etc.. haha. Took it to my guy who built the sedan!

From one garage to another:

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Coming along nicely...

I feel like I need to see the sportcross with the same grill as your sedan up front. :)
Haha, how'd you know I've been grille shopping? I don't like the current one at all...
I'm torn between the one like the sedan or the SportDesign. They're both about the same price new... just taking care of all the maintenance before getting into too much fun stuff ;)

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Any more info on the bushing play? I remember seeing a video of some ebay brand #2 bushings, and they were a LOT worse than your first set. I think OEM had more play than that as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Any more info on the bushing play? I remember seeing a video of some ebay brand #2 bushings, and they were a LOT worse than your first set. I think OEM had more play than that as well, but I'm not 100% sure.
Thanks for reminding me of this. I just sent a follow up email to see if they can tell me anything. Will report back!

As far as the current ones, still no issues!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Good to hear. Please let us know what you find out. Thanks. BTW, I say you get the 2003 SD grill since you already have the Altezza mesh grill on the sedan. If you get bored, you can always swap grills.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I was thinking the same thing with the grilles. Might as well have a different flavor for each one :approve:

Just got this progress pic. He's hoping to have it wrapped up tonight!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Haha, how'd you know I've been grille shopping? I don't like the current one at all...
I'm torn between the one like the sedan or the SportDesign. They're both about the same price new... just taking care of all the maintenance before getting into too much fun stuff ;)
Call it a hunch! haha.

good call on the maintenance. If you feel like cleaning up some old antique parts to make them look better while you make up your mind, send me your address. Just noticed the grill that had come on my IS still behind my shed. :)

Attachments

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Call it a hunch! haha.

good call on the maintenance. If you feel like cleaning up some old antique parts to make them look better while you make up your mind, send me your address. Just noticed the grill that had come on my IS still behind my shed. :)
I love coming across old parts I forgot about! I appreciate the offer but ended up ordering the SportDesign mesh one. Comes with a chrome badge... we'll see how long that lasts haha

Picked up the car last night and witnessed for myself one of the NGK plug wires arcing on the valve cover right through the insulation. Almost took a video but didn't want to keep inducing a misfire. Put the old one back on until a new Toyota set arrives. Crazy.
You can see on the insulation where it was finding ground... No issues with the old one so I don't think it's a ground problem. Just the cable:

Anyway, it's a bit smoother running, idling and overall driving. Not sure if I mentioned the compressor and condenser were replaced too. Now it's all ready for summer road trips with ice cold A/C :)

Absolutely LOVE driving this thing:

Edit:
Please let us know what you find out.
Sadly, I don't think they're going to tell me. Still no response. If there was an issue they probably don't want it getting out. It was a one-off issue anyway.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was a tolerance issue being that the new sleeve was much harder to push into the bushing while the old one was super easy.
Furthermore, if I was crazy enough to grab another IS300 and had to buy bushings again, I'd still buy those.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Grille has arrived!

Brand New:

Came with the chrome badge. Well, that's just not my style...
I've used lots of Tamiya paint in the past and it's just awesome.
Pretty sure this is used for window tint on RC cars:

Experimented on the old one. Came out great but a little dark. Glad I practiced:

Did it for real:

Topped with some clear:

If this isn't close to OE, I don't know what is :lol:

Not going to install it until the hood comes. I don't want it dripping down rust on to the grille like the current one.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
In the light, the emblem looks pretty close to BP. I put a LOT of clear coat on my front emblem, and I think I only have one chip. How did you get a new 03 SD grill? I thought they were discontinued a long time ago. I got mine from Carson when they were clearing out their inventory.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
In the light, the emblem looks pretty close to BP. I put a LOT of clear coat on my front emblem, and I think I only have one chip. How did you get a new 03 SD grill? I thought they were discontinued a long time ago. I got mine from Carson when they were clearing out their inventory.
I admit, I should probably put more clear on. It has 3 light coats and one thick one. A few more wouldn't hurt... there's a little time before the hood shows up :)

Haha, No trouble finding the grille. It's readily available on eBay. Both USDM and JDM spec. New and used. Be sure to type in "grille" and don't specify the year.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
If I had the skill, I would clear bra the front emblem and the two horizontal bars to keep them from chipping.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Funny, I was thinking about clearing the whole thing being that all the used ones I found are chipped in those areas. Guess it's common?

Was also considering brush-painting the backside... or at least the bars. Don't want to get overspray on the front:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I applied 3-4 coats of clear to my SD grill, and it still chipped within the 2 years that I was using it. I had my Altezza mesh grill covered with clear bra in 2011, and it still looks great.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Interesting. My sedan Altezza mesh has held up since at least '05 with no issues or treatment. The mesh seems to be coated in some kind of hard but flexible rubber though.

You're scaring me Rey! :lol:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
The mesh portion holds up great. It's the painted borders that worried me.

Maybe you can get strips of clear bra and fold them over the horizontal bars on the SD grill to keep them from chipping.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ahh. Gotcha - I've even been across the country and back with the Altezza grille. No chips on the border at all :)

I guess time will tell with the SD grille as it'll be seeing quite a bit of miles. The bra is definitely an option. Thanks for informing me of the issues. I'll be keeping a close eye!

41 - 60 of 79 Posts