Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Cleaned up the sedan calipers as best I could. Pushed out the pistons with compressed air, primed and painted them:

Painted over the dust covers because they're getting replaced anyway:

Installed Bluetooth and USB. Even though the CD player works, I'm not going to carry around my High School CD case with me :lol:

Tucked the box and Bluetooth transmitter behind the glove box:

The struts I purchased for cheap didn't work. I didn't even know Fig's carried them. Would have been my first option:

Picked up a Magnaflow manifold from a good buddy on the forum. He included gaskets and paperwork!

Even though the timing cover says the belt was replaced 40k ago, I have a feeling the belt was all that was replaced. The water pump looks original and I have no proof the tensioner or anything else was touched. Decided to give myself peace of mind:

OEM rubber brake lines, clips and gaskets were going to run $250. Picked up some stainless instead. Always had a mental block about these things... We'll see how it goes:

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nice! I love the Sportcross. There's a few around town that always catch my eye.
Thanks! I've only seen one in my area and offered to buy it a couple years back. They weren't selling :lol:

I put a few hundred miles on it since the last post and it's running near flawless. Idling a bit low in D, about 600rpm, but hope to take care of that with the OCV and throttle body cleaning. Now that I think about it, I might as well replace the PCV valve too.

Hoping to put the new headlights in this week amongst other things. Luckily, unlike my sedan, I've been able to drive it more than work on it.
Took this pic today in its natural habitat. A metro park :lol:

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah mine needs a little bit of love as well. What headlights are you putting in? I've been wanting to buy a spare set with auto-leveling and trying to paint them black or a matching grey.
I have new OEM lights sitting around. Don't know yet if I'm going to paint them or just leave them chrome. Not sure how aggressive I want to get with the Sportcross.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
After two O2 sensor codes I finally got the cat efficiency code. Luckily, I was prepared!

Had to cut all the bolts off at the lower flange. So much rust!

Took about 4 hours. Could have done it in 3 if the bolts cooperated. All in all not too bad of a task. Soaked all the hardware, screws and clamps in penetrating oil for a solid week before I began.

Really happy with the new manifold. Lots of room and it dropped right in. Much easier than maneuvering the stock unit out and super easy to reinstall the sensors.

...also cleaned the throttle body and the little holes under the top plate. I thought the car ran good before but now it runs great!

Dropping it off Monday for brakes, suspension, caster bushings and the old 18" wheels :)

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Im glad to here the magna flow is working out for you! Did it help with exhaust tone at all? I have a megan Y pipe sitting around :wink: And a Apex-i N1 cat back:wink::wink:
It's working out great! Thanks again for getting it to me :approve:

As far as tone, I can't tell a difference. Very quiet and tame but definitely a bit more responsive. Not sure if that's just because the old manifold was shot or because I cleaned the TB at the same time but it's very nice. Much better design than stock.

I do plan to keep this one quiet for as long as I can :lol: ;)

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ah I don't miss that at all, I had to take a grinder to all those exhaust bolts when I removed my exhaust manifold. Nice progress on the SX so far, making me want one even more now :lol:
Thanks! Been chipping away as time permits. I don't know what it is but it's just super fun to drive. Now that I have both perspectives, Stock for Stock, I'd take the Sportcross.

Sooo a simple brake replacement and suspension swap turned into a near 2 week nightmare :(

The shop was awesome in the fact that they kept me informed and let me see, touch and feel everything as it was happening. Basically, everything was seized and the adjusting cams needed replaced.... fine. Then they had a fire and couldn't do the alignment until some panels were replaced to restore power. Just my luck :lol:

...then this happened:

On the test drive, the wheels towed out on their own, it was steering all over the place, etc..

Figs was amazing. They had some great diagnostic ideas. They worked with me and the shop through the whole process. The shop performed their recommended diagnosis and everything seemed good so Figs sent me a new set of bushings. I received and dropped them off this morning, the shop replaced them and gave me the car back this afternoon.

It would appear this is the first ever problem with these bushings. The tech noted that the sleeve was super hard to push into the new bushings. I took the set from the video and slid the sleeve right through the bushing with almost no resistance. Sounds like a SuperPro issue based on tolerance or durometer. Won't know until I send the old ones back.

Pics coming soon! It looks great a tad lower with the 18" wheels on :)

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
^ That red one you showed me was awesome! I assume it sold already if they're going that quickly!

Here's just a couple from putting the sedan back in storage:

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
After installing a replacement set of bushings, a 3 hour road trip and some fun driving and braking over the weekend, it appears the play in those bushings are normal!

The old set wouldn't hold alignment amongst other things but Figs requested a vid of the replacements today and I obliged. To my surprise:

So there must have been another issue with the other set. Time will tell what they come up with! The only thing I can think of is how easy the sleeves were to slide into the old set. Maybe a tolerance issue. We'll see.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I am surprised that there is that degree of movement in those bushes, i have replaced mine with the TRD bushes and there is nothing like that kind of play in them. Mine were bloody tight to get back on twisting the new rubber to get the holes aligned and had bugger all movement.

I would imagine the main forces involved are forward and back though (the OEM and TRD bushes have the main support in those directions), so side movement might not be as critical?

I'm liking this thread, half of the mods i wish i had the money and time to do on mine :D

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I am surprised that there is that degree of movement in those bushes, i have replaced mine with the TRD bushes and there is nothing like that kind of play in them. Mine were bloody tight to get back on twisting the new rubber to get the holes aligned and had bugger all movement.

I would imagine the main forces involved are forward and back though (the OEM and TRD bushes have the main support in those directions), so side movement might not be as critical?

I'm liking this thread, half of the mods i wish i had the money and time to do on mine :D
I'm surprised in the movement myself. No idea how I can't feel that when driving. They must be moving around like crazy when taking off and stopping. I haven't heard the final verdict on the other set yet. Will let everyone know!

Thanks for the kind words also :) I plan to keep this thing for 10 years so I'm spending a lot now so I don't have to worry about anything later on.

Here's some pics from the weekend!

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Had to replace the driver door lock actuator. Didn't detail the job too much because there's already plenty of info on the site:

I totally broke the handle linkage retainer when trying to remove the link. Tried to weld it, knew I couldn't but tried anyway :lol:
Had a steel washer decently stuck to the cast but it broke off with some finger force:

Picked up a donor handle for $15 and just swapped the single part:

Here's the original thread I followed:
http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-actuator-install-tips-regulator-install-388787/

...and this one after I broke the handle:
http://my.is/forums/f221/door-handle-removal-part-swap-439314/

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Unboxed the meant-for-the-sedan headlights and removed the wagon fogs... things to come.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts