1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This got delivered 5 days before the estimated appointment:

The Good:

LSD!
Interior is in great shape. All leather. Headliner is flawless.
Original glass all around.
Everything electronic seems to work. (May need a dash bulb or two.)
THE 6 DISC CHANGER WORKS!!!
No engine lights, everything mechanical seems okay.

The bad:

Body is beat up. Dents and scratches throughout.
Hood is rusted so bad at the latch area, I think it needs replaced. Considering swapping the sedan hood on and putting a carbon one on that car.
Hatch shocks need replaced soon.
Calipers are rusted, look terrible - Thankfully I have spares from the sedan.
Headlights are foggy - Have spare brand new ones I never put on the sedan.

A few things are on order and appointments are planned. I'll be putting the 18" stock-looking wheels on from the sedan... and that's all I'm telling for now. ;)

I just have to try NOT to make a project out of this! :lol: Hopefully just maintenance and some minor aesthetics. Notice it's not in the build thread forum.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
In for updates! I can't believe they are all black lol.... though tbh, if I had 3 cars, they'd all be blue... lol
haha well, I personally own only these two vehicles. The other I drive is a company owned white pickup. I was very interested in other colors including Green, Graphite, White and Silver but they all had tan interiors which I just cannot do. Essentially, I picked this one up based off the interior color and condition.

Congrats on your unicorn! Ive often wanted one of these as well. They pop up often on craigslist here in phoenix.
I wish I bought one years ago. So many cool features compared to the sedan. If you find a good one, I highly recommend picking it up!

nice find!
Thank you sir! IMO it was cheap at 4,600 with a budget of 8k. I hope to get a lot accomplished based on those figures.

They won't be side by side often:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mark my words...even though I have only owned a SportX, you will love this one more and neglect the sedan.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Greetings from a fellow black/black sedan/sportcross owner :hug: Pay no attention to the ebay headlights and sidemarkers. That picture was taken the day I got the car home. A lot has changed since then.

In for updates! I can't believe they are all black lol.... though tbh, if I had 3 cars, they'd all be blue... lol
All of mine are black. I don't even consider non-black cars any more. A non-black car would look out of place with everything else :)

Attachments

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice pickup! I considered getting a sportcross as a daily. I used to hate how they looked but they've really grown on me over the years. They pop up for sale often in my area but sadly most of them are salvage title. Anyways looking forward to the maintenance and restoration :approve:
I feel ya! Sometimes you just have to wait for the right one. I found a lot of nice ones over the years but let them all slip by. I didn't want to go another year without a backup.
Nice find.... definitely don't see those come up often anymore.

If I bought a second one, pretty sure it would end up with a V8 just so I had two completely different setups. Soooo.... I look forward to Blkdouts V8 sportcross build.... haha. ;)
Bro, it's like our minds are working together on this already :lol: IF it boils down to it I'd like to drop in a V8 or Supercharge it - like 10psi or under. I'd say the V8 is more obtainable nowadays tho. That's one big IF - don't tempt me!
Mark my words...even though I have only owned a SportX, you will love this one more and neglect the sedan.
I am absolutely loving it so far! Runs great, nice and smooth. I don't remember my sedan being this peppy and fun when it was stock! I don't know how much I can neglect the sedan tho... that thing is in a league of it's own!
Greetings from a fellow black/black sedan/sportcross owner :hug: Pay no attention to the ebay headlights and sidemarkers. That picture was taken the day I got the car home. A lot has changed since then.
Sick dude! We just became friends for sure! Your cars look great side by side :approve:

Rented a storage spot and put my sedan away while I fix up the wagon. It was actually a sad moment.

Started on some little things after a nice long test drive. About 15 miles in the check engine light came on and I couldn't help but laugh. I just looked at it and said "I knew you were going to show up!" with a big stupid smile.

Anyway, it's P0037. I'll just change both sensors and see what happens. I'm already anticipating the cats going bad and might pull the trigger on VEHEMENCE's Magnaflow header w/ cats.
edit: I just ohmed out both bank 1 sensors. The heater has failed in the #2 sensor reading OL. Should be between 11 and 16 ohms. Just FYI.

Replaced the front wipers. It looks like the rear one is a specific Lexus part. May have to order that one.
Replaced the cabin filter and cleaned the cage:

Replaced the engine air filter and removed the rusted air box lid clips:

Soaked them in some penetrating oil:

Sanded, primed, painted:

Sway Bars, Pro-Kit and Koni Yellows:

All my excitement ended abruptly. I ran a bunch of errands today and every time I came back home and parked, the garage smelled like gas. I assumed the cats were going bad but the smell never dissipated.

Looked under the car and found the source:
Gas everywhere! You can see it all over the floor too.

I jacked the car up on that corner and it stopped leaking. I could hear air getting sucked back up into the tank once the car was raised. I'm going to pull the panels, braces and tank strap tomorrow and see what I can find. So sad right now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice ride man. It's in good hands looks like you've got some good plans for it already. Sucks about the fuel leak but glad you caught it before it before something happened.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice ride man. It's in good hands looks like you've got some good plans for it already. Sucks about the fuel leak but glad you caught it before it before something happened.
yeah, that setback sucks.... but you'll figure it out and get it all fixed up good as new and not have to worry about it
Thanks guys... and thanks for your confidence in me :lol:

I like the way you think, Chris. You're right. It's just a setback... I have to keep that in mind. Can't blame the dealer and personally would have never noticed the leak on a test drive anyway!

Couldn't sleep and got to work on it early this morning:

Found the leak immediately. Thankfully not too many parts had to come off:

This stuff works great. I tried a fuel tank repair kit but that just doesn't work on the bottom of a tank where you're battling fuel still coming out:

I noticed my license lights were out. Didn't catch that on the initial inspection.
Have to remove the entire interior hatch panel:

Wiper arm was missing the end cap so ordered one along with the blade.
Don't have a wiper arm puller so I made one:

Pads, rotors, O2 sensor and fuel tank are on order. I'm biting the bullet and just having the dealer replace the tank.

Surprisingly some areas of the car are pristine while others remind me of how old the car is. Everything I'm getting into is either super easy, like working on a brand new car and others are just a PITA :lol:

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah see, I knew you'd do it :) Are you able to drive the car with the hole patched? And the replacement tank is just in case? Sounds good though, yeah I'd do the same thing... brand new tank installed by a professional. Gas isn't something I need to be messing with lol
Yessir, I put it all back together this morning after letting the sealant cure over night and ran some errands. No leaks! You nailed the rest of it. I don't want to take any chances with it so I'm just having it replaced. I drop it off tomorrow morning.

With that out of the way I was able to change the oil today and clean up some other misc parts of the car... also figure out some of the extra features the SportX has to offer.

Stay tuned for the fun stuff!

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The dealer loaned me an ES350 to tide me over while the tank is being replaced. Only 250 miles on it!

I've been hauling my bike around in the bed of my truck. Never liked doing that, so there's this:

^^ in case anyone cares :lol:

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I've been driving around the loaner and it's just a pleasure to operate. I've always been intimidated by all the new technology and buttons and features of new cars but this is the most user friendly I've used by far.

When I was inquiring about parts for the SportCross the parts guy told me he hasn't seen one in 10 years. When I parked outside, a different salesman was staring at it through the window and told me he's never seen one. My maintenance guy said everyone was talking about it when I pulled into the service bay :lol: It made me realize how rare these things are.

Anyway, more parts came in today. Brake pads and rotors all around, Denso O2 sensor and some rear door struts. The struts were based off measurements so I hope they fit!

I have a mountain of parts just waiting idly. Reminds me of the turbo car :lol:

After 4 years, one of my mechanics is leaving the shop to pursue a different career path. He got me a nice parting gift! It might just end up on the SportCross :)

He was a great employee and will be missed!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Man oh man, that is a nice find. Congrats! Can I ask whereabouts did you pick this one up at? Transportation/hauling costs decent? I've always wanted a Sportcross :)

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last of the parts showed up today. Rear wiper arm and blade:

Car is done and I will be picking it up tomorrow! Perfect time for the weekend :)

Man oh man, that is a nice find. Congrats! Can I ask whereabouts did you pick this one up at? Transportation/hauling costs decent? I've always wanted a Sportcross :)
Had it shipped from somewhere close to Chicago. Not my first choice of geographic location to purchase a vehicle from but it was the only one I kept going back to.
Shipping was right around $1 per mile. I live about 350 miles from there so it was around $350.

If you can find one that fits what you're looking for, I say go for it!

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Replaced the O2 sensor. No more check engine light.
I went as far as to install some wire loom in the factory locations so the clips wouldn't rub through:

Pulled the gutter covers off as they were warped a bit. Cleaned the gutters and straightened the covers as best I could.
To my surprise they seem to just be made of rubber:

Taped off the rear wiper base, primed and painted it:

Used some leftover antiseize from the O2 sensor for the splines and installed the new arm:

Stocked up on some ratchet straps and tie downs:

Installed the roof rack and test fit the bike rack:

Decided to just wrap the front bar for wind noise.
May or may not get the spoiler thing later on:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts