Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 brand new Blizzaks that were bought for the 328Ci but never ended up using them b/c we didnt get much snow at all last year. Will a winter 225/45 be ok on the stock 17's since it has 215/45's right now?

·
Registered
302 Posts
hey i am planning to do this setup too. But i dont know the answer to your question, maybe others can help. A lot of people have 16 inch wheels and tires for snow, but i dont really want to buy another set of 16 inch wheels and tires just for snow :( So i plan to put on 17 inch snow tires on my factory wheels. So, how does 16 inch snow tires compared to 17 inch snow tires? Thanks.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Not exactly your set-up, but for reference, I have Michelin Pilot Alpins 225/45/17s all around on a Sportcross with no problems. (Stock suspension) The rear wheels are 1/2" wider, but the fronts are the same as the sedan. Dealer had already put tires on and I got a good deal on them along with the stock unmounted summer tires.

Enjoy the snow. Now if only there was a VSC off switch for those parking lot festivities in the shite stuff............

·
Registered
804 Posts
Almost forgot, if I had it to do over, I would probably get 205/50/17s for snows. The narrower footprint should cut through the snow better than the 225s.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
SportX said:
Almost forgot, if I had it to do over, I would probably get 205/50/17s for snows. The narrower footprint should cut through the snow better than the 225s.
You need a slightly narrower tire for good snow driving.... that was told to me buy a few tire rack reps. I'd go 205/50R17's 225 gives you more surface area to slide. take my stupid advise please

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yes, narrower tires would be better, but if you are getting a good price and want to help your buddy out, the 225/45's will work much better than the sumemr tires you have now.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yes, you want to cut through the snow with narrower tires rather than slide over it with wider tires... If you get nasty winters, I'd recommend selling them and getting narrower winter tires. If not, then maybe they will do just fine... :)

I have 16" rims and Blizzak LM-22's (205-55-16)... If you want, you can check out my winter setup from my IS webpage below...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
IS300 Fanatic
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing